Apple localizes 'Trash' to 'Rubbish' in iOS 9, promotes Apple Watch with a 'rickroll'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2015
Apple's legendary attention to detail is sometimes shown in small and fun ways, such as Mail's "Trash" folder being renamed "Rubbish" in some countries, or an Apple Watch support page referencing a popular Internet meme.

iOS 9 changes "trash" to "rubbish" in Australia. Courtesy AppleInsider reader Andrew.

In the Australian release of iOS 9, Apple has renamed Mail's "Trash" folder to "Rubbish." The easter egg found inside the new operating system was highlighted by AppleInsider reader Andrew.

Apple, of course, has a history of hiding small but fun details in plain sight. In various versions and applications of OS X, for example, the company has hidden the text to its iconic "here's to the crazy ones" advertisement. And since iOS 7, its Maps icon has shown the location of the company's forthcoming "spaceship" Campus 2.

In the latest inside joke by Apple, a picture of an Apple Watch support page went viral this week, as users discovered a subtle reference to the 1987 Rick Astley song "Never Gonna Give You Up."

A close look at the "Add a Friend" section of the page reveals the letters, "NE VE RG ON NA GI VE YU UP," in place of the first and last characters of the friends' name on the watch face.

Apple

A "rickroll" is an internet prank where a user expects to see legitimate content but is instead shown a video of Atsley's chart-topping hit from two decades ago.

This isn't Apple's first rick-rolling trick this year. At WWDC in June, Craig Federighi used the popular video to show audience members how to mute Safari tabs producing unwanted audio inside OS X 10.11 El Capitan.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Wish they'd do that for the UK too. We don't use the word trash here either.
  • Reply 2 of 57
    Only two decades ago? Welcome to the old people club. 1987 was 28 years ago.
  • Reply 3 of 57

It used to be the case in Mac OSn many years ago 'Wastebasket' then Steve Jobs insisted everyone had US English

• Reply 4 of 57
    The Rickroll is epic.
  • Reply 5 of 57
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    what was wrong with "Thrash" ? We know it for decades. Apple don't have to change the well known folder name for deleted emails. Now, we have to know Rubbish is twin sibling of thrash.
  • Reply 6 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Wish they'd do that for the UK too. We don't use the word trash here either.

I prefer the word Trash. Rubbish is rubbish and too long. I seriously doubt there any many UK folk who don't know what a trash can is. The word has been widely used for the last 30 or so years by anyone who has ever used a computer, or watched Sesame street. 

• Reply 7 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I prefer the word Trash. Rubbish is rubbish and too long. I seriously doubt there any many UK folk who don't know what a trash can is. The word has been widely used for the last 30 or so years by anyone who has ever used a computer, or watched Sesame street. 

Wouldn't the word "waste" be a more appropriate word in the UK... it was when I lived there.

• Reply 8 of 57
    Both google and hotmail / outlook have localised trash to bin / rubbish for many years in the uk
  • Reply 9 of 57
    Trash sounds hideous to me as a Brit, but we're getting americanised so many people don't care now.
  • Reply 10 of 57
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Trash is a classic example of a brash Americanism. The diversity of English is a glorious thing.
  • Reply 11 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wdowell View Post

Trash sounds hideous to me as a Brit, but we're getting americanised so many people don't care now.

I much prefer US English, it makes much more logical sense. They modernised the language in the early 1900's, then the UK tried to do it a few years later and are still battling the luddites to this day. 

• Reply 12 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropys View Post

Trash is a classic example of a brash Americanism. The diversity of English is a glorious thing.

That's a classic example of snobbery.

• Reply 13 of 57
    Actually it says "UP YU VE GI NA"
  • Reply 14 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Recronin View Post

Actually it says "UP YU VE GI NA"

Haha :)

• Reply 15 of 57
    It's the way US English headlines tend to be capitalised - Welcome to The New World - that really does my head in! ;) as I'm a half Frenchy i can assure that they find it even more abhorrent as they barely capitalise anything including days of the week etc
  • Reply 16 of 57
    wdowell wrote: »
    It's the way US English headlines tend to be capitalised - Welcome to The New World - that really does my head in! ;) as I'm a half Frenchy i can assure that they find it even more abhorrent as they barely capitalise anything including days of the week etc
    It's even better when Americans give titles of things that are in other languages, because then they'll tend to capitalize everything, even things like prepositions and articles that wouldn't get capitalized in a typical US English title. This happens a lot with classical music on CDDB, where you'll often see things like "Prélude À L’Après-Midi D’Un Faune" or "Molto Allegro E Con Brio." Drives me bats.
  • Reply 17 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropys View Post

We're not brash about trash.

• Reply 18 of 57
    Get really daring and call it /dev/null.
  • Reply 19 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Get really daring and call it /dev/null.

Or, for the six-pack crowd, just call it the "Sh*tcan".

• Reply 20 of 57
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Rubbish is an ok word. Trash and garbage sound rather messy. Refuse is probably the American equivalent rubbish. I always thought Window's Recycle Bin was hilarious.