China's fake Apple Stores alive and well, look to profit on iPhone 6s launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
Thanks to lax copyright enforcement policies, growing demand for all things Apple and a lack of official retail channels, China's fake Apple Stores are experiencing a resurgence on the back of iPhone 6s preorders.

Fake Apple store in China, circa 2011.

In electronics manufacturing mecca Shenzhen, a major cog in Foxconn's iPhone and iPad production machine, a multitude of counterfeit Apple stores are popping up to take advantage of Friday's iPhone 6s release, reports Reuters. According to publication estimates, more than 30 storefronts bear Apple's iconic logo, with some unauthorized outlets kitting out personnel with Apple Store-style blue t-shirts and lanyard name tags.

As they have in the past, these counterfeit stores are taking advantage of China's seemingly insatiable iPhone demand. Just hours after iPhone 6s preorders went live last week, Apple's allotment for the Chinese market sold out, pushing buyers loathe to wait an extra two to three weeks toward unauthorized stores that buy stock from official resellers and flip them for a hefty profit.

With iPhone viewed as a status symbol in China, many consumers are willing to pay more than double retail prices to get their hands on one the day it comes out. For some buyers the high costs are apparently worth the added cachet that comes with nabbing a copy on day one. Consumers in other markets are also keen to get their hands on Apple's latest smartphone, but Chinese customers are especially zealous.

The benefits are more concrete for resellers, who risk minimal retail overhead and an upfront investment by smuggling iPhones in from Hong Kong, the U.S. and other far-flung markets. If successful, however, they stand to haul in huge returns.

Apple has for years dealt with counterfeit stores, an issue that gained media attention in 2011. While Chinese officials ultimately ordered a handful of operators to shut down, the unauthorized resale industry was never completely wiped out. Now with iPhone 6s, resellers are back in business.

Part of the problem stems from an inadequate official retail presence in the region. Apple only had 22 stores serving all of China as of June. By comparison, there are 53 Apple Stores in California alone. The disparity is stands in contrast to China's market potential, which is widely viewed as vital to Apple's growth and sales sustainability. The company has plans to expand its retail footprint to 40 stores by 2016, however, the most recent being a second Hangzhou location in April.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30

What kind of self-respecting totalitarian regime can’t crack down on this? Almost as though they want it to happen.

• Reply 2 of 30
    This is why China can never really be taken seriously. Sort of like that rich doofus uncle everyone has, and hates; the only reason anyone laughs at his jokes during the family reunion is because he's so rich.

Like at work, you're as funny as your title. Have you ever wondered why every employee rolls on the floor laughing at the CEO's knock-knock joke, yet the mailroom clerk, who used to tour with Chris Rock, gets crickets from the director-level jerkoffs? You can't dear be caught not laughing by the not-funny CEO.

Tim Cook would dare never bring these stores up at his next meeting with Xi.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    What kind of self-respecting totalitarian regime can’t crack down on this? Almost as though they want it to happen.

They're too busy trying to keep their circus tent of an economy inflated while cracking down on Taylor Swift merchandise that might bring up memories of Tiananmen Square.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Almost as though they want it to happen.

Ya think?  ;)

• Reply 5 of 30
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,370member

Is using counterfeit money in a fake store illegal?

Hmmm.

• Reply 6 of 30

One thing I can say; this means long lines for the U.S. in-store purchases this weekend. 

• Reply 7 of 30
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

What a joke! That right there is straight up fraud on a massive scale, and it's obviously ok with the govt. What a crooked place. What a crooked country. What a bunch of crooks.

• Reply 9 of 30
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Apple watch also
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Oh, I think we're getting bit too worked up about this.

Look at the bright side. First, if someone is stupid enough to not be able to tell the difference, it's their problem. Second, it says that there is still a lot of demand for Apple retail in China, giving that segment room to grow there. Third, I'd rather this 'problem' were Apple's than its competitors' (who can only dream about something like this).
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Oh, stop it. These aren't "fake Apple stores"; they're just resellers (some authorized, some not) selling Apple merchandise.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    I've always wondered, are they selling knock off hardware at these stores?
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

Is using counterfeit money in a fake store illegal?

“Welcome to the People’s Republic of China, where everything’s made up and the currency doesn’t matter; that’s right, the currency is...” *quick glance over at a PRC Party official narrowing his eyes* “...perfectly fine and growing, just like our glorious economy!”

• Reply 14 of 30
    kkerst wrote: »
    They may offer third-party chargers and such, but the Apple merchandise is real. This whole non-issue started when some reporter spotted a chain of stores whose English name was "Apple Store" and decided they were "fake" stores. But they weren't trying to fool anyone, and most Chinese wouldn't have even noticed as their Chinese name was something completely different. They ended up changing their English name though I occasionally see one with the old name still up.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

From the second link the the Apple Insider article: 

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/23/us-apple-china-idUSKCN0RN2EF20150923

Read the link:

"Most of the stores in the roughly 1 km shopping corridor are unauthorized "fakes" - although they are selling genuine Apple products..."

• Reply 16 of 30
    rgh71rgh71 Posts: 125member
    “Welcome to the People’s Republic of China, where everything’s made up and the currency doesn’t matter; that’s right, the currency is...” *quick glance over at a PRC Party official narrowing his eyes* “...perfectly fine and growing, just like our glorious economy!”

Ha, great one!
  • Reply 17 of 30
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    tokyojimu wrote: »
    They may offer third-party chargers and such, but the Apple merchandise is real. This whole non-issue started when some reporter spotted a chain of stores whose English name was "Apple Store" and decided they were "fake" stores. But they weren't trying to fool anyone, and most Chinese wouldn't have even noticed as their Chinese name was something completely different. They ended up changing their English name though I occasionally see one with the old name still up.

Oh nice so Apple is making money off these guys?

I thought they were selling MiPhones.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Next time you see fake Tim Cooks in China. There's nothing that the Chinese won't fucking do for profits.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kkerst View Post

I'd say almost certainly. A guy at my work has a couple KO Apple Watches.

• Reply 20 of 30

this makes me think of all those times apple was in the media because the people putting the phones together could not afford them. someone can afford them, it appears millions and millions of chinese people can afford them.