iOS 9 security flaw grants unrestricted access to Photos and Contacts

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
A video making the rounds this week claims to disclose an iOS 9 security flaw that bypasses a passcode protected lock screen to grant unhindered access to a device's stored photos and contacts.

The somewhat involved process was discovered by Jose Rodriguez, who also uncovered an obscure iOS 6.1.3 lock screen bypass two years ago.

As described in Rodriguez's proof-of-concept video the procedure takes advantage of an apparent bug related to Siri lock screen access and iOS 9's five-attempt lockout policy. Under a specific set of circumstances invoking Siri from an iPhone or iPad's lock screen grants limited system access.

Rodriguez confirmed to AppleInsider that he does not own the iPhone used in the demonstration, nor were his fingerprints registered with Touch ID. AppleInsider independently confirmed the bypass' validity in a series of tests. It should be noted that only devices protected by simple four- or six-digit passcodes are vulnerable to attack, while those with long alphanumeric passwords remain unaffected.

Apple has yet to address the bypass, though tests showed today's iOS 9.0.1 update and iOS 9.1 beta versions do not contain a fix.

In lieu of an permanent solution from Apple, concerned users can disable Siri lock screen access by navigating to Settings > Touch ID & Passcode, entering their current passcode and deactivating Siri under the "Allow access when locked" heading. Alternatively, the bypass can be thwarted by creating a custom alphanumeric passcode.

Unfortunately, iOS is no stranger to lock screen bypass bugs, as evidenced by iOS 7, iOS 6 and iOS 4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Plan "A"?*

Don't lose your phone.

* Not a "fix", merely a solution. ????
  • Reply 2 of 59
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I don't have Siri enabled on the lock screen. Still, it's a bug that needs fixing.
  • Reply 3 of 59
    iOS 9 will be secure and stable just in time for iOS 10's release. Rinse, Repeat.
  • Reply 4 of 59
    I'd erase my iPhone within minutes of being stolen
  • Reply 5 of 59
    So use a seven digit passcode until a fix is ready.
  • Reply 6 of 59
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chez Whitey View Post

Quick - You're at the grocery store, your iPhone gets stolen - Go! ????

• Reply 7 of 59

If I'm stealing your iPhone, I'm putting it in airplane mode within seconds. I'm pretty sure I can do that a lot quicker than you can find another device, log in, and initiate remote wipe.
  • Reply 8 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gordon1420 View Post

If I'm stealing your iPhone, I'm putting it in airplane mode within seconds. I'm pretty sure I can do that a lot quicker than you can find another device, log in, and initiate remote wipe.

You can't even activate the stolen phone, so it will be a brick soon enough... But, you could lose a bit of private data.

• Reply 9 of 59
    How in the hell can these people figure this s.hit out?
  • Reply 10 of 59
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    idrey wrote: »
    How in the hell can these people figure this s.hit out?
    They have 4 year old nephews. Like with the Rubics Cube....
  • Reply 11 of 59
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    They have 4 year old nephews. Like with the Rubics Cube....

That actually make sense! Freaking kids can break into anything
  • Reply 12 of 59
    I tend to keep everything disabled from the lock screen, especially Control Center & Siri. No access to airplane mode or anything. Better safe than sorry I guess.
  • Reply 13 of 59
    gordon1420 wrote: »

I disable the ability to invoke Control Center from the lockscreen on my stuff.
  • Reply 14 of 59
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

9.0.2 dropping in:  3...  2...

• Reply 15 of 59

"I know it isn't true

I know it isn't true

Love is just a lie made to make you blue

Love hurts,

Ooo-oo love hurts

Ooo-oo, love hurts, ooo-oo"

NAZARETH

• Reply 16 of 59
    Why the hell are people still using 4 or 6 digit PINs?
  • Reply 17 of 59
    That video is from several days ago. There was a new update this morning. Is the issue still there?
  • Reply 18 of 59
    cornchip wrote: »

Quick - You're at the grocery store, your iPhone gets stolen - Go! ????

12 character passcode. No control center on lock screen. Find my iPhone on. Only what you can try to use it is a restore and that's not going to work. Plus I can still put it in lost mode which sources say prevents apple Care or the stores from doing a force release even if you could convince them it's your phone.

Sure I'll be out an iPhone but that's why it's covered by my renters insurance
  • Reply 19 of 59
    I can't believe that appleinsider didn't check this video before post it on here. Don't you guys see that when he push down home button to call Siri, the iphone was unlock by touch id???
    I saw this video days before, and can't believe that this fake video can make appleinsider.
  • Reply 20 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

That video is from several days ago. There was a new update this morning. Is the issue still there?

They need to physical access to your phone, if that occur, you've already lost your phone.... And they can't really use it for anything. That's only a worry if the police or FBI get your phone ;-).