First iPhone 6s bend test shows off nearly unbendable 7000 series aluminum

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2019
It seems Apple's decision to craft iPhone 6s out of 7000 series aluminum paid off, as a new video from Australia demonstrates the device can withstand what appears to be a significant amount of stress without bending.

As seen in the video from FoneFox, iPhone 6s and its reinforced 7000 series aluminum chassis appears quite durable, so much so that achieving a noticeable crook took two people exerting what looks to be a considerable amount of force (see screenshot of potential aneurism above). Even with a crease near the lower volume rocker, the phone remained functional, a vast improvement over iPhone 6.

Shortly after iPhone 6 launched last year customers reported seeing bends in their new smartphone just days of normal use. Some speculated the thin design and enlarged footprint undermined iPhone's structural integrity, all models of which were solid until iPhone 6. Dubbed "bend gate," the minor controversy birthed multiple videos showing users bending iPhone 6 in half with their bare hands.

Apple denied claims that the then-new iPhone sacrificed rigidity to achieve an ultra-thin aesthetic, going so far as to invite media on a press tour of its "torture test" building where devices undergo comprehensive stress testing prior to launch. The idea was to dispel the notion that iPhone 6's design was weaker than competing products, as had been demonstrated on youTube.

Although "bend gate" went unmentioned during this year's iPhone 6s reveal, an unprecedented material switch between redesign cycles was seen by many as an admission that iPhone could benefit from a stronger frame. Judging by today's video, Apple achieved its goal.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be impressed by that given that the "bendgate" before was someone who intentionally weakened the phone just to bend it.

In this case it takes two grown adults putting substantial pressure. What I would like to see is how much of it survives intact by the Blendtec "Will it Blend", and how much force applied to the screen is required to damage the screen.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    "was an admission by Apple that its smartphone could be stronger".

Or they just wanted to make it stronger so some asshole on YouTube couldn't bend it.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    This bullshit again? And btw, it wasn't a "minor controversy". It was a bunch of assholes going around to Apple Stores to get their 15-seconds of fame.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Misa View Post

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be impressed by that given that the "bendgate" before was someone who intentionally weakened the phone just to bend it.

In this case it takes two grown adults putting substantial pressure. What I would like to see is how much of it survives intact by the Blendtec "Will it Blend", and how much force applied to the screen is required to damage the screen.

I'm a bit curious on the screen; iFixit broke the bottom edge off when they opened the phone.

• Reply 5 of 48
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Not going to bother to play the Youtube and give them the hit. These knobs spent a grand (or more) for this moment of 'fame'.

• Reply 6 of 48
    1) Of course it's still bendable.

2) The questions I have are whether Apple went out of their way to take a finalized design and rework the casing and internals, and possibly adding Series 7000 aluminum and/or removing or reducing features in order to appease last year's ridiculous Bendghazi. Based on the results of the 3D Touch display element being 15g heavier than the one in the iPhone 6, which means the rest of the components are are 1g less than the iPhone 6, sans display, it's possible the "beefing up" of the device was planned well before Bendghazi due to the 3D Touch display components.

3) I'd like to know about, from an academic standpoint—but don't want asshats on the internet actually testing this—how the display components YoY and casing components YoY would stand up to a measured force test. I think it's quite possible that the 3D Touch component could account for a great deal of its new [I]unbendability[/I].
  • Reply 7 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I think it's quite possible that the 3D Touch component could account for a great deal of its new unbendability.

Hm, since 3D Touch is implemented through sensors in the backlight measuring the distance from the screen (at least that was what they said in the video), I do not get that connection.

Having no idea myself, I am simply assuming that the combination of 7000 series alumin(i)um and the stronger glass (Double Ion-X-DOHC-GTi whatever) is to blame. Don't know if this is a reaction to that bendgate crap, but using the investments made into developing the metal for the Watch elsewhere makes perfect sense.

• Reply 8 of 48
    dreyfus2 wrote: »
    Hm, since 3D Touch is implemented through sensors in the backlight measuring the distance from the screen (at least that was what they said in the video), I do not get that connection.

Having no idea myself, I am simply assuming that the combination of 7000 series alumin(i)um and the stronger glass (Double Ion-X-DOHC-GTi whatever) is to blame. Don't know if this is a reaction to that bendgate crap, but using the investments made into developing the metal for the Watch elsewhere makes perfect sense.

As stated, the new display component is 15g heavier than before and considerably thicker. Additionally, have you seen the backplate on that thing? You could be right, it could be just as bendable or even more so than the iPhone 6, hence my desire to know about it's comparative strength.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    Originally Posted by Misa View Post

What I would like to see is how much of it survives intact by the Blendtec "Will it Blend"

I can’t wait for the day when an iPhone breaks one of their blenders. Or at least causes it to seize up and grind the gears.

• Reply 10 of 48
    quote:

misa

Actually Misa, I baby my iPhone 6, it looks brand new and has always been in a case, and it has a slight bend to it. I've seen other friend's iPhone 6'es have the same issue. This was a needed change.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    They say the phones are 2mm thicker than last year's models, but they're actually 2/10ths of a millimeter thicker, which is really not much.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I'm a bit curious on the screen; iFixit broke the bottom edge off when they opened the phone.

I don’t think they did. The captions talk about adhesive strips so I assume what you see in the photos is the adhesive peeling
  • Reply 13 of 48
    retrogusto wrote: »
    They say the phones are 2mm thicker than last year's models, but they're actually 2/10ths of a millimeter thicker, which is really not much.

Sure, but remember it's a little thicker, a little taller, and a little wider, and what may be noticeably heavier.
  • Reply 14 of 48

Stupid things YouTubers do for views.

• Reply 15 of 48

Next up on Google's YouTube: a couple of punks stomp on an iPhone 6s for your amusement. But first, watch this ad. You can skip this ad in 5s, 4s, 3s,...

• Reply 16 of 48
    Ridiculous... I have had an iPhone 6 from launch and it has been dropped - sat on and used intensively with no ill effects... it was a non issue from the start. Imbeciles like this lot are just after the momentary internet stardom.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Yet everyone's quiet about how bendable and breakable the S6 is.

The S6 Edge bends AND shatters at much less force than the iPhone 6.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    These people who do this are complete morons. They really need to get a life!
  • Reply 19 of 48
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    People were bending the 6 Plus, the iPhone 6 was largely unaffected, even in the unbox therapy tests ( ) at 3:10 - 'I don't see the bendgate issue affecting regular iPhone 6 users'. The new metal was tested to be stronger comparing 6 to 6S but it's the 6S Plus that people would be interested in not the 6S. There was no reason to expect the 6S to be affected when the 6 wasn't either.
  • Reply 20 of 48

That is only about 1/125 of an inch!