Apple's 21.5-inch iMac with 4K Retina display rumored to launch next week

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited October 2015
Apple's all-in-one iMac desktop lineup could be expanded as soon as next week, with a new high-resolution 21.5-inch model with 4K Retina display reportedly set to launch soon.

Apple's 27-inch iMac with 5K Retina display.

Apple's revamped smaller iMac has been rumored for some time, and is widely expected to debut this fall, but 9to5mac's sources claim the device will launch next week, specifically. Initial inventory may be limited, with Apple ramping up production heading into November, it was said.

Last month, supply chain rumors claimed the 21.5-inch iMac with 4K Retina display had gone into production. The desktop is expected to boast a 4,096-by-2,304-pixel screen, known as 4K resolution.

With about 218 pixels per inch, that's a pixel density identical to Apple's 27-inch iMac with 5K Retina display, which debuted last October. With the exception of the new Retina display, the smaller iMac is expected to sport largely the same external design as the current, non-Retina model.

Apple most recently refreshed its 21.5-inch iMac offerings in June of last year with the introduction of a low-end 1.4GHz model priced at $1,099. The company has yet to officially announce plans for a 4K version of its smaller all-in-one, but code discovered in OS X 10.11 El Capitan referred to an unknown iMac model with a 4,096-by-2,304-pixel display.

It's also possible that new Mac accessories could become available next week alongside the updated iMac. Filings with the Federal Communications Commission from last month revealed that Apple has a revamped Magic Mouse and wireless keyboard in the works, both of which with integrated rechargeable batteries and support for Bluetooth Low Energy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    Who is going to hold them to this rumor?
  • Reply 2 of 69
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Make it a 24" screen and the sales will fly off the shelf.
  • Reply 3 of 69
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member

if true then those usual suspects in the media/blogging sphere will have them now to review them for the usual timeframe ready to release their opinions. so the rumour probably comes from one of them. Or at least the fact they've been summoned to a hotel somewhere in New York or the east coast. 

What's odd is that they didn't really synchronise all this with the release of El Capitan

Im hoping they will release new keyboard/trackpad/mice to go along and for others too. 

• Reply 4 of 69
    Make it a 24" screen and the sales will fly off the shelf.

I think the 27 and 21 inches are perfect.
  • Reply 5 of 69
    smarkysmarky Posts: 75member

Who cares about the 4k upgrade? The iMac range is in urgent need of an upgrade. I am hoping for improved 5k iMacs with Skylake and better graphics cards. Hopefully these will come soon.

• Reply 6 of 69
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

I've never got Apple's choice of a 21.5" display, why not just 22"? Anyway all of Apple's Mac lineup need of redesign and refresh. A slimmer iMac design maybe by ditching the HD for an SSD for instance...a much smaller more interesting design for the Mini by also ditching the HD for an SSD etc...

• Reply 7 of 69
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Make it a 30" and I'll buy one.

• Reply 8 of 69
    No Skylake, no buy. Dudes.
  • Reply 9 of 69
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Make it 31-34" in an ultra-widescreen format, and I'll consider buying one.
  • Reply 10 of 69
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member

Make it 55" and I'll buy one.

• Reply 11 of 69
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

No tower with slots, no buy. /s

• Reply 12 of 69
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Make it free and I'll buy one.
  • Reply 13 of 69
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    No tower with slots, no buy. /s

"No woman, no cry." —Bob Marley /s
  • Reply 14 of 69

I hope the 21.5" iMac will get Skylake, and in that case all of the iMac lineup would be upgraded to Skylake I think.

my mid-2009 20" iMac is in desperate need of a replacement, but I just can't decide whether to stick with the iMac or go mobile. 98% of the time I don't have any need for a laptop, and I prefer the bigger screen, but sometimes a laptop would be nice to have... 

• Reply 15 of 69
    Please quit it with the screen size nonsense. Apple has infinite market data along with manufacturing data that drives the format of choice. Keep your un validated crap to yourself. Take some pepto if you need a cure for your verbal diahrhea.
  • Reply 16 of 69
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member

If it was 70" I'd buy one.

C'mon, Apple. You know you can do better!

• Reply 17 of 69

If accurate, as seems likely, Apple's holiday lineup is set. Would be very surprised to see them disrupt the holiday season with any more new products.

This is just to bring Retina to the smaller iMac, right? No Thunderbolt 3/USB-C, or refresh for the larger Retina iMac.

So that means no refresh for Mac Pro and Thunderbolt Display this year. WWDC next year, methinks, for the Thunderbolt 3/USB-C introduction to the whole "Pro" line, both Mac and MacBook.

https://thunderbolttechnology.net/blog/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-does-it-all

• Reply 18 of 69
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    PCs STILL use towers?!!!

I saw a fanboy brag about his ugly Alienware the other day.

Samsung should make a 40" version of the iMac. Then watch Apple haters scream "innovation!"
  • Reply 19 of 69
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    It would be great if they came out with new Magic Mouse/Magic Trackpad with Force Touch and a recharging solution.
  • Reply 20 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Dont lie.  If it was 23.256 inches you'd probably buy three

You got me.