Third beta of Apple's OS X 10.11.1 El Capitan released to developers, public testers

Posted:
in macOS edited October 2015
Apple on Wednesday issued its latest beta of OS X 10.11.1 to both developers and members of its public beta program, arriving less than a week after the second pre-release build.

The third beta of OS X 10.11.1 is identified as build 15B30a. It can be downloaded through the Mac App Store, or Apple's developer portal.

As with all pre-release software, Apple intends the beta release solely for testing purposes. It is not meant to be used on a day-to-day machine.

The new beta arrives just six days after the previous public build, and eight days after the developer beta 2.

Apple has not detailed any significant changes that might arrive in the first patch to El Capitan. Release notes for the second beta state that the update will focus on stability, compatibility, and security.

OS X 10.11 El Capitan was released to the general public last week as a free update, including new features like Split View, an enhanced Mission Control, a cursor spotting feature, better fullscreen view in Mail, an improved Notes app, and other general refinements and tweaks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    It would be helpful to know if this fixes Office 2011 and/or 2016.
  • Reply 2 of 17

The issue with Microsoft office is with Microsoft not with Apple.  Microsoft has had months to work through the bugs...

• Reply 3 of 17
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    OSX 10.11 wasn't a very polished release IMO. It hosed all my POP mail settings and the graphics are rough around the edges on my iMac 5K as compared to OS X 10.10. Hope they fix.
  • Reply 4 of 17

Looks like MS did just issue an update to Office 2011:

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=625064

However, the page doesn't yet exist.  Comforting.

• Reply 5 of 17

So far so good, Office 2011 14.5.6 update: Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Lync (w/integration to Outlook) are operational and hasn't yet crashed.

• Reply 6 of 17
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Wednesday issued its latest beta of OS X 10.11.1 to both developers and members of its public beta program, arriving less than a week after the second pre-release build.

The third beta of OS X 10.11.1 is identified as build 15B30a. It can be downloaded through the Mac App Store, or Apple's developer portal.

As with all pre-release software, Apple intends the beta release solely for testing purposes. It is not meant to be used on a day-to-day machine.

Apple has not detailed any significant changes that might arrive in the first patch to El Capitan. Release notes for the second beta state that the update will focus on stability, compatibility, and security.

OS X 10.11 El Capitan was released to the general public last week as a free update,

Am I the only one a bit confused here?   :???:

Last week El Capitan was released to the public for use, now another beta has been released?

So far it's OK on my 6 yr old Mac, except for a minor display setup bug I ran into.  :)

• Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Am I the only one a bit confused here?   :???:

Last week El Capitan was released to the public for use, now another beta has been released?

So far it's OK on my 6 yr old Mac, except for a minor display setup bug I ran into.  :)

It's another beta for 10.11.1, not 10.11, which is the current release.

• Reply 8 of 17
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    It would be helpful to know if this fixes Office 2011 and/or 2016.
    MS has acknowledged the 2016 issue but has not said when they will have a fix. Essentially if one app stops responding, you will need to force quit all of them before any app will work again.
  • Reply 9 of 17

10.11.1 beta 1 was released before 10.11 was released last Wednesday.

• Reply 10 of 17
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    mj web wrote: »
    OSX 10.11 wasn't a very polished release IMO. It hosed all my POP mail settings and the graphics are rough around the edges on my iMac 5K as compared to OS X 10.10. Hope they fix.

It might be helpful if you explained which POP accounts have given you trouble and which email clients you used to access the troublesome accounts. I use Mail, Mailbox (beta), Thunderbird, and Outlook. I use them to access numerous POP3, IMAP, and my firm's Exchange server. Only Outlook had any issues at all. Microsoft's patch today fixed that issue.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

It might be helpful if you explained which POP accounts have given you trouble and which email clients you used to access the troublesome accounts. I use Mail, Mailbox (beta), Thunderbird, and Outlook. I use them to access numerous POP3, IMAP, and my firm's Exchange server. Only Outlook had any issues at all. Microsoft's patch today fixed that issue.

All my POP accounts in Mail could receive but not send. Nor were any POP account send settings transferred from 10.10 to 10.11 in the upgrade. I therefore had to create new POP accounts. The bug effected both my iMac 5K and MB Air identically.

• Reply 12 of 17

On my 2010 MBP15 I also got a firmware update and am now on Boot ROM Version:

MBP61.0057.B11

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201518

gives as current:

MBP61.0057.B0F (EFI 2.6)

• Reply 13 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    This is the first parallel release to Developers and public testers of the same beta isn't it? I seem to find I am usually a week or two ahead of the public version.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    mj web wrote: »
    All my POP accounts in Mail could receive but not send. Nor were any POP account send settings transferred from 10.10 to 10.11 in the upgrade. I therefore had to create new POP accounts. The bug effected both my iMac 5K and MB Air identically.

You are having SMTP (Outgoing Mail Server) issues. Owing to the declining popularity of POP3 and increasing security concerns, SMTP server settings are becoming ever more the black art. This issue is not new to OS X El Capitan. After setting up your SMTP servers with their proper settings, you will be able to send email from your POP accounts in OS X El Capitan just as you did using older versions of OS X.

When all else fails, look up each SMTP server's settings on its provider's website.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

You are having SMTP (Outgoing Mail Server) issues. Owing to the declining popularity of POP3 and increasing security concerns, SMTP server settings are becoming ever more the black art. This issue is not new to OS X El Capitan. After setting up your SMTP servers with their proper settings, you will be able to send email from your POP accounts in OS X El Capitan just as you did using older versions of OS X.

When all else fails, look up each SMTP server's settings on its provider's website.

Bingo! That's what I did. Thanks.

• Reply 16 of 17

Seems like the issue with Mac Office 2011 and El Capitan is triggered by Outlook 2011 only.  I have read the general complaint that Office for Mac 2011 hangs with the new El Capitan, but have not experienced it myself... and that may be because I have never found the Outlook experience to be acceptable on OSX and so did not install in on my everyday-use Mac Book Air mid-2011.

Having said that, I do use Word, Excel and Powerpoint, which I regularly check for updates.  The latest seems to specifically address the Outlook-specific hang on El Capitan.  The link is here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3098396

Cheers, funsky.

• Reply 17 of 17

I hope they fix the fan issue being experienced by many upgraders with older system.  I have never had such a level of noise pollution coming from my MacBook Air mid-2011 11" laptop except for the hottest fews days during summer, where the ambient temperature exceeds the temperature operating range considerable.

However, since upgrading to 10.11 every day, without fail, the fan kick starts very soon after I play the first video junk from youtube or or some news video from the daily new site.  I guess it serves me right to be playing junk from youtube, but then news channels don't deserve the constant drone of the fan.  More to the point, it never did this under Yosemite and I have a 480GB upgraded hard-drive and a 4GB RAM.