Analyst: iPod for Windows soon

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
<a href="http://www.macminute.com"; target="_blank">http://www.macminute.com</a>;

Analyst Charlie Wolf says that Apple will release iPod for Windows this summer, maybe at macWorld. Apple seems to like this guy because they give him information first that they don't directly announce. They recently told him there would be 124 Apple Stores by the end of 2003.

According to an another article at MacCentral it could be a big hit:

"Based on a reasonable assessment of demand, the iPod could capture about 10 percent of the portable music player market," Wolf concluded. He said that the projections of 10 percent market share in 2003 translate to $115 million in earnings and sales of $650 million"

This could make Apple a more mainstream name. There would be a million or so Windows users walking around with iPods and establishing Apple as a cool company like Sony.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    I wonder if it would be crippled somehow, like there are options only available on the Mac version, or something like that. Otherwise, the iPod would no longer be one more reason to buy a Mac. It would make them a lot of money though.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Yeah, this would be BAAAAAAAAAAD move for Apple. They need to keep more reasons for people to buy Macs and people who love the iPod need a Mac

making iPod for windows would either need to be more priced or have much fewer features~!
  • Reply 3 of 10
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I ddon't understand why this is such a bad move for Apple. If companies or people are coming up with software for the iPod to work with Windows anyway, why shouldn't Apple just do it?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    spindlerspindler Posts: 713member
    "Yeah, this would be BAAAAAAAAAAD move for Apple. They need to keep more reasons for people to buy Macs and people who love the iPod need a Mac"

I think people like this idea in a qualitative way but have not measured its success in a quantitative way. The bottom line is that first iMovie, and then iTunes, and then iPod, and then iPhoto have all failed to get people to switch to the Mac in meaningful amounts. The sales numbers just don't show it.

Last quarter Apple sold 57,000 iPods. They started a promotion this quarter where you get $100 off if you buy an iPod with any Mac. That is a pretty big incentive because the iPod is well worth the money at $300. If sales numbers stayed the same, then iPod simply hasn't pulled in new users. My guess is that they did stay the same. With $100 savings you would hope sales would jump at least 40 or 50 per cent.

So if the iAdvantages don't get people to make the big jump then the logical thing is for Apple to introduce themselves to new customers while they are still using Windows. Brand image is a powerful thing. If people have an Apple product in their hands and are really pleased with the way it works they are much more likely to consider a Mac. If people have a connection to Apple they are much more likely to read an article about them on the internet, listen while a Switch commercial comes on, or go into an Apple store and take a look around. This will eventually lead to more sales.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Would any self respecting Mac head switch to a PC because of a killer MP3 player? Would you switch for (PC only) 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound? Would you switch for a superior computer gaming platform? Would you switch for better speech recognition solutions that the PC offers? Would you switch for more choices in peripherals and add on cards such as the ability to use any printer or scanner or video/TV tuner card? Would you switch for...

Well, you get the idea. If you wouldn?t switch for any of these things, why on earth do you believe that a PC user would be inclined to switch for an overpriced, under featured, lower capacity, but very stylish and easy to use MP3 player? The ?iPod as a reason to switch? argument doesn?t make a lot of sense to me.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    patchoulipatchouli Posts: 402member
    How many people would switch platforms and buy a Mac simply because of an MP3 player? Why would they? I don't think the numbers would be that high. Since the iPod is overpriced, a Windows compatible version could make Apple more money than possible converts who long for an iPod. Since the Toshiba iPod-like model is coming out soon for PC - this is a very smart move for Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    I think the iPod for Windows thing will improve the Apple brand's image in the minds of many people and give Apple's name more exposure. Plus it opens up iPod sales to a new market which will potentially lead to many new iPod sales, and an iPod is hardware. That's where Apple makes their money.

I wouldn't see how it would hurt. It might even encourage the ownership of a Mac in addition to a PC for many PC users. The opposite could also apply, but the people using Macs already know they're better, so I don't think that's a big problem.

The question is what would the iPod synch with? Windows Media Player? WinAmp? Or would there be a Windows version of iTunes?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    In response to the iPod as a reason to switch:

I don't think that anyone id going to buy a Mac because of the iPod, that is not what I meant in my post. Rather, I think that it is one more item in the list of good things about Macs: They aren't butt ugly, they don't crash, they are easy to use, etc, etc, etc. The more things that are in this list, the easier it is for a PC person to decide to buy a Mac.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    patchoulipatchouli Posts: 402member
    [quote]Originally posted by Stroszek:

<strong>In response to the iPod as a reason to switch:

I don't think that anyone id going to buy a Mac because of the iPod, that is not what I meant in my post. Rather, I think that it is one more item in the list of good things about Macs: They aren't butt ugly, they don't crash, they are easy to use, etc, etc, etc. The more things that are in this list, the easier it is for a PC person to decide to buy a Mac.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I understand your point, but there are many PCs out there that are not ugly, and WindowsXP doesn't crash. So, those points won't matter to a user who is happy with a stable and funky looking PC (especially when they cost less).
  • Reply 10 of 10
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    A little late in the game for that, Toshiba just released an iPod-esque player and surely others will be following suit. A good move, but it came a lot later than it should have.

If they would've done this when the iPod was first introduced they'd be in a much better position.

[edit]

Gah, #2000!

[ 06-24-2002: Message edited by: groverat ]</p>