Jony Ive talks intersection of fashion and tech ahead of Apple-sponsored Met Gala

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2015
Apple CDO Jony Ive recently sat down with Vogue Editor-in-Chief Anna Wintour and Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Curator Andrew Bolton to discuss the interrelationships between fashion and modern technology, the focus of next year's Apple-sponsored Met Gala.

Apple CDO Jony Ive, Vogue Editor-in-Chief Anna Wintour and Met Museum Costume Institute Curator Andrew Bolton pose for a picture at Apple's headquarters.

Ive, who is hosting the Met Museum's "Manus x Machina: Fashion in an Age of Technology" exhibition next May as cochair, told The Wall Street Journal in a recent interview that beauty can arise from both handmade and machine-made designs. The upcoming Met Gala looks to dispel the notion that thoroughly modern processes like 3D printing and computer aided design somehow lack intrinsic value.

"It's a completely false notion that there is inherent value in what is made by hand, or an inherent lack of value in what is made by machine," Ive said.

Next year's exhibition is focused in part on the coalescence of traditional and modern clothing design techniques, as told through a deep dive into a range of production processes. That Apple is sponsoring the event is fitting given the overarching theme revolves around a growing relationship between old world fashion design and cutting edge tech. This merging of philosophies is familiar to Ive, who practices a bit of both in his daily work at Apple.

"I still draw with a pencil and paper every day, and enhance with relevant technology," Ive said.

Wintour, who is also an event co-chair, noted technology like online shopping has helped to "democratize" fashion, pushing haute couture to a wider audience. Apple has in many ways contributed to fashion's evolution. While keenly aware of the role hardware design plays in its success, Apple only marketed its wares as fashionable products, not objects of fashion. That is until Apple Watch.

"As products become more personal, something that is worn on the wrist put us in the space of fashion," Ive said. "These are issues close to our hearts. Our understanding will temper and define future products we're working on. We're only starting."

Incidentally, both Ive and Wintour wore pieces from the Apple Watch Hermes collection during the interview.

The 2016 Met Gala is scheduled for Monday, May 2, at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. More than 100 pieces will be on display, from handmade items to machine-made designs created using technologies like laser cutting, thermo shaping and circular knitting. Visitors will also be able to attend workshops demonstrating new fashion technology like 3D printing along with traditional techniques including embroidery, lacework, leatherwork and more.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Oh noes!

There's Ive, hanging out with those fashion people again!

Apple is Doomed.™
  • Reply 2 of 24
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    White pants after Labor Day? What a fashion faux pas
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

A lot of people think this. But the rule is really for fashion "challenged" people.

For those of us who fashion forward, these simple rules don't apply. :)

• Reply 4 of 24
    A lot of people think this. But the rule is really for fashion "challenged" people.

They also don't apply to me as I simply don't care. :D
  • Reply 5 of 24
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Oh noes!

There's Ive, hanging out with those fashion people again!

Apple is Doomed.™

Apple hosting Anna Wintour at their campus. Triple Doomed™ .
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

They also don't apply to me as I simply don't care. image

Me neither. :)

I was just being deliberately obtuse. :)

Best

• Reply 7 of 24
    Hmm...Ive and Wintour also gave an interview to Christina Warren at Mashable. Anyone know if she's interviewed Apple execs before?

http://mashable.com/2015/10/20/jony-ive-anna-wintour-fashion-tech/#bqpZTzMl68q6

I thought this quote was on point:

[QUOTE]Ive made an interesting observation about form and function. "What I've noticed is if something works but emotionally you don't feel a connection — it's ugly — you'll use it, but you'll use it begrudgingly and you'll change at the first opportunity and you'll build no relationship with the brand or the people behind it. And so you really have to be successful in both."[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:

That is also called Avant Garde.

• Reply 9 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Hmm...Ive and Wintour also gave an interview to Christina Warren at Mashable. Anyone know if she's interviewed Apple execs before?

nope

• Reply 10 of 24
    dasanman69 wrote: »

I was being facetious, but still he could've worn something a bit more fashionable. He looks sorely under dressed.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    ireland wrote: »

nope

Hmm...interesting. Also interesting is that Ive is front and center here not Angela Anrendts. She really has stayed in the background since coming to Apple, which I'm a bit surprised by.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    jameskatt2 wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »

That is also called Avant Garde.

Fancy name for bummy. :lol:
  • Reply 13 of 24
    rogifan wrote: »

I thought this quote was on point:

That's exactly how I feel about the old white MacBook I have; it's just a pile of "meh" and I don't like using it.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Apple hosting Anna Wintour at their campus. Triple Doomed™ .

Posters expecting doom... Double-dog-Doomed!!

• Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

I was being facetious, but still he could've worn something a bit more fashionable. He looks sorely under dressed.

Agreed. He's looking a little pobsy, too. :)

• Reply 16 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

That's exactly how I feel about the old white MacBook I have; it's just a pile of "meh" and I don't like using it.

The new Microsoft Surface Book should suit you just fine. Then you wouldn’t have to come here and express your outrage at anything and everything Apple does or does not do. 

• Reply 17 of 24
    rogifan wrote: »

Hmm...interesting. Also interesting is that Ive is front and center here not Angela Anrendts. She really has stayed in the background since coming to Apple, which I'm a bit surprised by.

I know her name keeps coming up in these contexts (it did with the AppleWatch-fashionista nexus as well), but she's only I charge of retail, no?
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:

I would say K-Mart dressed and the worst part, the absolute clanger for me - the positioning of his right hand with the ultra thin sliver of white showing, it is nasty and distracting - what kind of amateur photographer did they hire for this gig.

His expression is also too blank, he really isn't into it. The others have that practiced art form of too good for you blank.

Actually glad that Ives is unable to look like that.

• Reply 19 of 24
    I would say K-Mart dressed and the worst part, the absolute clanger for me - the positioning of his right hand with the ultra thin sliver of white showing, it is nasty and distracting - what kind of amateur photographer did they hire for this gig.

His expression is also too blank, he really isn't into it. The others have that practiced art form of too good for you blank.

Actually glad that Ives is unable to look like that.

K-mart dressed? That shirt he is wearing probably cost a couple hundred bucks.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    I know her name keeps coming up in these contexts (it did with the AppleWatch-fashionista nexus as well), but she's only I charge of retail, no?

Yes, but I assumed since she came from that industry perhaps Apple would use her more. But it appears it's Ive front and center and Paul Deneve behind the scenes.