Microsoft represents only serious competition for Apple hardware, Steve Ballmer says

Comments

• Reply 101 of 230
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

hera_hero_05-100622990-large.png

Dat gap.

• Reply 102 of 230
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Microsoft and Samsung?

To me this isn't competition but shameless copycats. They're trying to be Apple. A real competitor would be themselves and compete with Apple.

I don't see how the Surface Book and the Surface Pro are copycats from Apple devices.  Maybe you can clarify that?  BTW, how do you felt when Apple copied Windows 10 split screen in iOS and snap screen in OS X?

• Reply 103 of 230
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

That is in fact Microsoft's playbook: hang in there until the other guy screws up.

Isn't that part of Apple playbook with the Mac? 

• Reply 104 of 230
    Frankie?? Is that you?
  • Reply 105 of 230
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanVM View Post

Isn't that part of Apple playbook with the Mac? 

No. Apple's playbook with the Mac is "build the best products we can, screw the low-margin market, and don't screw up." 

"Hang in there" hasn't been their mantra in almost twenty years.

• Reply 106 of 230
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member

I question the proposition that that a significant high end market for consumer Windows machines can exist.

• Reply 107 of 230
    appexappex Posts: 687member

To be fully compatible with Mac, we need a Mac tablet vs Windows Surface.

• Reply 108 of 230
    Clippy. Never forget.
  • Reply 109 of 230
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

There are apps that will allow this today.  The iPad is used as a second screen for your Mac.  A friend of mine showed me his setup for travel with a MacBook and iPad Air.  I also saw people doing this with iPads at WWDC with some sort of clip or stand to hold the iPad made to fit the MacBook / MacBook Air or whatever.

I've never done it so don't know the details on which app/s etc.

Right, but it's not optimal. They basically use VNC wirelessly. I used to do this with two laptops.

But considering Apple actually added hardware access to their keyboard, that opens up a whole new level of compatibility for using the iPad as an actual hardware display on a MacBook. 

With continuity, selling two devices in one package that allows the optimal experience on both would be fantastic. I don't see the downside to this.  The hardest part would be creating the hinge that still allows both products to look great, and probably the biggest compromise Apple would have to make. 

In the end, it cannibalizes from both, and really only offers convenience in the form of transporting one device instead of two. And let's face it, the iPad doesn't add that much to the MacBook as it is. And in my case, I'd probably want them both for screen spanning even if a hybrid was offered. The price wouldn't be that much less than the two separately anyway.

• Reply 110 of 230
    the ballmer discount on microsoft stock is long gone, the nadella premium is in full effect. it was fun swooping up shares during the end of steve-o's tenure.
  • Reply 111 of 230
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

VISTA. Never forget.

Windows 8 never forget

• Reply 112 of 230
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Let's not forget that the surfacebook is being compared to laptops that have not been redesigned in almost 4 yrs (rMBP). The MBPs will be redesigned very soon (maybe in Nov with Skylake) and will again change the game. 

• Reply 113 of 230
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Let's not forget that the surfacebook is being compared to laptops that have not been redesigned in almost 4 yrs (rMBP). The MBPs will be redesigned very soon (maybe in Nov with Skylake) and will again change the game. 

I don’t know about that. I’d consider the thinner, MagSafe2 version a fairly long-lasting design. That was more recent.

• Reply 114 of 230
    leighrleighr Posts: 254member
    I'd like to see Microsoft backup their claims about it being twice as fast as a MacBook Pro. It would be quite impressive if this were truly the case (I'm talking twice as fast at everything, which is what is suggested, video editing and rendering, network speeds, wifi speeds, read/write speeds etc.) but if not, I can see a class action coming to Microsoft very soon.
  • Reply 115 of 230

I understand your position, but can't help but look at the value proposition of Macs vs Windows and take into account IBM's stated experience, which you know they have in a case study for those open to looking at a Windows alternative.  I believe there are other S&P 500 firms that will look at, then deploy Macs, initially zs a test, then in greater volume as the value proposition is proven.

The volume of Macs going into the enterprise will increase but slowly for 3 - 5 years. After that I I think it perfectly logical that adoption will accelerate.

• Reply 116 of 230
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spheric View Post

No. Apple's playbook with the Mac is "build the best products we can...

And some times they miss that goal, like with recent products like, iWorks, Apple Music, Apple Watch, iCloud and the Macbook.  

Quote:

screw the low-margin market...

That's the best thing they have done and, IMO, they are doing so good.

Quote:

and don't screw up." 

Already gave some examples on products they have screwed up, like every other company.  At least they have the iPhone sales for make up all those mistakes.  

Quote:

"Hang in there" hasn't been their mantra in almost twenty years.

Yes, they have been doing that with the Macs.  I don't see why that it's a bad thing.  IMO, that means they believe in their product.  

• Reply 117 of 230
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Don't be judgmental to the guy. There are plenty of those never-forgets from Apple too: antenna-gate, maps-gate, bend-gate, chip-gate... to name a few /s

Bend-gate is stupid and totally troll...chip-gate? Are you serious or troll? Do a little research before saying stupid things up here. Map-gate? Who gave the crap? it's only an app, not an OS like Vista. Antenna...yes, but remember this: every fucking phone got impacted by it, not only iPhone, it might just be less than iPhone 4.

• Reply 118 of 230
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregg Thurman View Post

I agree as to the point that Microsoft is the only real competition to Apple, but they are a weak second.

In the areas that Apple competes they are 3 - 5 years ahead of Microsoft, and at the level that Apple continues to innovate I do not see Microsoft bridging that gap.

Would be nice to see examples on how Apple is so far ahead, because what I'm seeing right now is MS dominating Apple enterprise offerings,

iWorks vs MS Office

iCloud vs Office 365 / Azure

OS X Server vs Windows Server

Filemaker vs SQL Server / Access

Plus you may add applications and services Apple don't have, like System Center / Intune, Exchange, SharePoint and Skype for Business.  I don't see how Apple is 3-5 years ahead.  

Quote:

There are two areas that Apple hasn't competed (enterprise desktop and servers).  I see the recently entered strategic partnerships with Cisco andIBM as strong leading indicators that Apple is making a serious push into enterprise desktop market.

Apple tried with servers and failed.  Let's see how it goes with desktops / notebooks. 

Quote:

Productivity and cost are the by words of enterprise decision making.  Until now there was no large scale examples of Apple competing against Windows in these areas.  IBM's deployment of nearly 200,000 Macs changes that.

Now we have to see how that deployment goes.  Hope IBM release white papers with details.  

Quote:

Starting in about 2 years I see rapidly expanding growth in Mac units the enterprise  Once Mac share of the enterprise hits 10% (2025?) I think we will see a paradigm shift that will make MSFT irrelevant soon after.

To bring MS to irrelevance, you have to do more than take down Windows in the desktop.  There still Office, Dynamics, plus all server, management and cloud offerings.  And those applications are far ahead than Apple and IBM enterprise offerings combined.  BTW, what you see in the market to think that in 2025 Mac will be in 10% of the enterprise market?

• Reply 119 of 230
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

it's only an app, not an OS like Vista. 

Does OS X 10.7 Lion count, since it was considered the Apple "Vista"?

http://gizmodo.com/5819418/mac-os-x-lion-this-is-not-the-future-we-were-hoping-for

http://www.zdnet.com/article/os-x-10-7-lion-is-more-painful-than-vista/

I may add to the list, iWorks, iOS7 / iOS9, Ping and Photos as a replacement for Aperture.  Can we forget of all of them too?

Maybe iWorks shouldn't be on the list, since still available.  Still, can we forget about it? ;)

• Reply 120 of 230
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    VISTA. Never forget.

Virus software .... can't forget!