MBPro, El-Cap, move files between users.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited October 2015

Good evening all.

I'm a newbie here.

Last year my dad gave me his 2010 MBPro. He's cleared out everything that was of importance to him, and left it with key apps/programs which would allow me to use them for my purposes.

I inadvertantly set up my own user account, and have been kicking myself in the butt ever since. I've built my-side as I want it, and so don't really want to just wipe it out, and use his full-time.

While I have full access to his original user account, and have contacted Apple to make sure that it's now in my name, I'm at the point where I'd like to move what programs are remaining over there, to my user side.

The first thing is that I've noticed he has both Linux-Ubuntu, and Windows 7 (VM) over on his side, and as they are pretty large files, and the drive only has a few gb's remaining, I can't just copy the file over. What could I do to move those?

Are they specifically configured to operate on his end only? I.e., they're reading his configuration, and so can only operate under that primary account? Or, are they just regular files which can be moved from one user account to another, on the same machine?

My goal is to do this with all the pertinent files/apps from his user account to my own.

Thank you for your responses, feedback, and "don't do it, you'll regret it" comments, in advance.

This has been a thorn in my side, and I'd really like to get it resolved.

I did go to my local Apple store, and when I went into set up a genius bar appointment, I apparently picked an option which kicked me out, and now I'm no longer able to log into my apple id on apple. I keep getting weird errors, saying the website no longer exists, or was deleted.