Apple releases first beta of iOS 9.2 to developers

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2015
Apple on Tuesday issued its first pre-release beta of iOS 9.2 to developers for testing, alongside a new beta of Xcode 7.2, as the launch of the forthcoming iPad Pro approaches.

The iOS 9.2 beta is identified as build 13C5055d. Apple has warned developers that devices updated to the beta software cannot be restored to earlier versions of iOS.

The software can be downloaded through the developer center website. Presumably a public beta of iOS 9.2 will be soon to follow, given Apple's recent history of release patterns.

Exactly what changes are found in iOS 9.2 remain unknown, but its point-one version increase suggests that it will be more than just behind-the-scenes bug fixes. It's possible that iOS 9.2 could introduce new features, like support for the Apple Pencil, that will be required for the forthcoming iPad Pro.

The first beta of iOS 9.2 arrives less than a week after Apple supplied the final public release of iOS 9.1. The defining feature of that update was more than 150 new emoji characters, as well as improvements to Live Photos on the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Well, I still have an odd problem with my ipad which I first got with the first version of the 9.1 beta, and still have through the general release, though I reported it with every new beta release, and with the final one as well.

When holding the comma key down to get an apostrophe, I just get a comma, even though the small window shows an apostrophe.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Well this update better fix... oh wait, iOS 9.1 is running flawlessly on my iPhone 6 64GB. Never mind.

• Reply 3 of 9
    Thought you guys said 9.1 was for iPad Pro support.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    melgross wrote: »
    Well, I still have an odd problem with my ipad which I first got with the first version of the 9.1 beta, and still have through the general release, though I reported it with every new beta release, and with the final one as well.

When holding the comma key down to get an apostrophe, I just get a comma, even though the small window shows an apostrophe.

That,s odd. ????
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I noticed the same thing with the comma. What I found is that you now have to move up to select the apostrophe when the pop up comes up. It is the same with other keys on the keyboard. Before, for example, if you held the e key for too long you would get an e with an accent even if you hadn't intended to insert that character and didn't pick any of the options from the pop up. Now, if you stay over the e key and don't pick a character from the pop up it inserts an e character. It is slightly inconvenient when it comes to the apostrophe, but for the other keys on the keyboard I think this is a better way to handle things.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Bailey View Post

Thought you guys said 9.1 was for iPad Pro support.

It is the first iOS version to add iPad Port support.

• Reply 7 of 9
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    I want multi-user support!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member

Multi-user support will not happen.

• Reply 9 of 9
    Seems to have improved performance for me on my 6s Plus :D