Microsoft to retire Windows 2000 in 9 months...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Don't know if anyone has posted this already, but it seems that M$ isn't too reliant on Win2k for sales anymore...I found this over at <a href="http://www.shortnews.com"; target="_blank">www.shortnews.com</a>

Microsoft to retire Windows 2000 in 9 months...

In a push for OEM Computer manufactures to stop

offering it's business customers the option of

Windows XP or 2000 Microsoft will retire Windows

2000 for the OEM market in 9 months.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Dell has already stopped. They have a supply of machines with Win2k that you can request, but all new machines now come with XP.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>Dell has already stopped. They have a supply of machines with Win2k that you can request, but all new machines now come with XP.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No one in their right mind should accept that ridiculous XP license agreement.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    [quote]Originally posted by BR:

<strong>

No one in their right mind should accept that ridiculous XP license agreement.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's just it. Many PC users have come to accept whatever Microsoft throws at them with no questions. Microsoft has become more and more brazen. XP is unfriendly to those who do not have Internet Connections however XP on new machines will already be registered but I fear the ramifications once the end user upgrades. I'm trying to stick on Win2k as long as I can but I know Microsoft wants to stamp out piracy with the Product Activation features which is fine with me but I wonder what other "gotchas" XP will have.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    stamp out shmamp out. anyone who pirates software would have no problem finding an XP that didn't require a hardware key. take all the universities with site licensed copies, for example.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    patchoulipatchouli Posts: 402member
    If I am not mistaken:

When you purchase a new computer with XP already on it, you can upgrade and re-install and reformat hundreds of times without having to activate it. The copy of XP that you get with a new computer (which is a 100% full copy on a bootable CD) does not have to be activated as it is tied with the serial number of that particular system.

If you buy a boxed copy of XP then decide to upgrade more than 5 hardware items on your computer, you'll have to call MS to activate it once your upgrades are complete. In summary, most people will not have an issue or even know about the activation of XP.

---

I do agree that you should be able to install XP on more than one HOME machine. Many people today have more than one computer and they shouldn't have to buy two upgrades ($99). But, as far as 'giving your friend a copy of XP', well - you can't blame them for not wanted their OS pirated like that. It is also not very difficult to find a copy of XP Pro with no activation needed.

As far as Windows 2000 is concerned. There is no need for it to be around any longer. WinXP is an updated Windows 2000 with built in multimedia support, enhanced networking features and an updated (but optional) new GUI. Windows 2000 is = NT v5.0 and WindowsXP = NT v5.1

[ 07-09-2002: Message edited by: Patchouli ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 7
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    cyko95, you need to stop reading /. and reposting it here. it's really not that cool.

for those who read /., these stories are days old by the time you repost them, and this is AppleInsider. if you want /. news go to /.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by Patchouli:

<strong>If you buy a boxed copy of XP then decide to upgrade more than 5 hardware items on your computer, you'll have to call MS to activate it once your upgrades are complete. In summary, most people will not have an issue or even know about the activation of XP.

[ 07-09-2002: Message edited by: Patchouli ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

there shouldn't be an issue to begin with.