Walgreens Balance Rewards card gains Apple Pay compatibility

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2015
Members of the Walgreens loyalty program can now use their Balance Rewards card with Apple Pay, enabling tap-to-pay capabilities on both iPhone and Apple Watch.

Walgreens announced on Thursday that it is the first retailer to integrate its loyalty program with Apple Pay contactless payments. There are more than 85 million active Balance Rewards members.

To add your card, use the Wallet app in iOS 9. Once it's activated, users can authorize their transaction with a fingerprint scan on the iPhone 6 or iPhone 6s series. Apple Pay integration is also available with an unlocked Apple Watch by double pressing the side button.

"We're excited to be the first to provide our customers with increased ease of access to their Balance Rewards account and information when using Apple Pay," said Sona Chawla, president of digital and chief marketing officer for Walgreens. "This offering supports our commitment to removing friction and enabling a simple and convenient customer experience."

As of August of 2015, an estimated 76 percent of the population of the U.S. lives within five miles of a Walgreens. Its local pharmacies filled an estimated 894 million prescriptions in the company's fiscal year 2015.

There are a total of 8,173 Walgreens locations in the U.S. as of Aug. 31. In New York City, Walgreens stores are branded as Duane Reade, where Balance Rewards cards can also be used.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I'm still not sure how this works, especially in conjunction with using Apple Pay.

For example, with my Starbucks card, it's available on my iPhone and Watch because of geo-location when I'm near one of my 5 main stores. If I'm not, I have to access Wallet to bring up the pass or access the Starbucks app to get the bar code. Does that work the same with a rewards card? Is there a way for the NFC-system to have a merchant ID attached so it would know to bring up the Walgreens reward card instead of a CVS rewards card, that might be across the street?
  • Reply 2 of 37
    So how does it work? Do I have to do 2 taps, one for the credit card, and then a second time for the balance rewards card?
  • Reply 3 of 37
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    This is great news...for those that use them, the more merchant rewards programs are tied into Apple Pay, the greater the convenience factor of the service, which should continue the snowball rolling...
  • Reply 4 of 37
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I'm still not sure how this works, especially in conjunction with using Apple Pay

The iPhone uses location services to know where it is in Walgreens. Should easily know difference across a street in a typical environment a Starbucks would be. The customer then holds the phone to the reader and touches Touch ID to enter loyalty card data. Then, they do this again to pay.

Seems redundant, but they are separate transactions. The loyalty card gets coupons, credits, etc, which can affect the price, and then the payment is processed using the preferred payment card.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I'm still not sure how this works, especially in conjunction with using Apple Pay.

For example, with my Starbucks card, it's available on my iPhone and Watch because of geo-location when I'm near one of my 5 main stores. If I'm not, I have to access Wallet to bring up the pass or access the Starbucks app to get the bar code. Does that work the same with a rewards card? Is there a way for the NFC-system to have a merchant ID attached so it would know to bring up the Walgreens reward card instead of a CVS rewards card, that might be across the street?

From link in more complete MR article -- it appears the rewards card encompasses the capability of a store credit card.

http://www.macrumors.com

DEERFIELD, Ill.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Walgreens Balance® Rewards members can now seamlessly use their account through Apple Pay - without separately scanning a Balance Rewards card or barcode. More than 85 million active Balance Rewards members will have the ability to earn and redeem loyalty points via Apple Pay, the easy, secure and private way to pay.

“This offering supports our commitment to removing friction and enabling a simple and convenient customer experience.”
    Tweet this
    “We’re excited to be the first to provide our customers with increased ease of access to their Balance Rewards account and information when using Apple Pay,” said Sona Chawla, president of digital and chief marketing officer for Walgreens. “This offering supports our commitment to removing friction and enabling a simple and convenient customer experience.”

To get the most out of purchases, users can simply add the Balance Rewards digital card to the Wallet app in iOS 9 and use it at checkout with Apple Pay. Members simply hold their iPhone near the contactless reader with a finger on Touch ID and the appropriate rewards information will be sent. On Apple Watch, they just double-click the side button, select their Balance Rewards card, and hold the face of Apple Watch up to the reader.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20151105005216/en/Walgreens-Launch-Loyalty-Program-Integration-Apple-Pay
  • Reply 6 of 37
    Express has supported loyalty rewards through its Next Card since October 10th and supported its Next credit cards for Apple Pay since September 10th. It's the first to support both store cards and toylike cards through Apple Pay and also works with Apple Watch.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vavatch View Post

The customer then holds the phone to the reader and touches Touch ID to enter loyalty card data. Then, they do this again to pay.

Seems redundant, but they are separate transactions. The loyalty card gets coupons, credits, etc, which can affect the price, and then the payment is processed using the preferred payment card.

So there are no credits accumulating on the rewards card that would ever be redeemed? So you just get discounts on your purchase for being a member? Why would you need to use Touch ID with the rewards card if it not a payment?

• Reply 8 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

So there are no credits accumulating on the rewards card that would ever be redeemed? So you just get discounts on your purchase for being a member? Why would you need to use Touch ID with the rewards card if it not a payment?

im confused, I have some rewards - which can be used for payment - i dont know how these are redeemed.

It may be me, but the whole rewards card on apple pay is confusing... its not even that easy to set up, never mind use.

• Reply 9 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You are reading into my response. I was only referring to how it works from a TECHNICAL STANDPOINT. All this is doing is allowing people to enter their rewards info into the POS terminal by using Apple Pay's NFC functionality instead of requiring the on-screen barcode to be scanned, or the physical card to be scanned/swiped. Otherwise, the rewards programme works exactly the same.

• Reply 10 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by heroinsmoker View Post

So how does it work? Do I have to do 2 taps, one for the credit card, and then a second time for the balance rewards card?

Yes, except it's rewards card first, then payment card, just like you would do now if you scanned/swiped the rewards card.

• Reply 11 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

im confused, I have some rewards - which can be used for payment - i dont know how these are redeemed.

It may be me, but the whole rewards card on apple pay is confusing... its not even that easy to set up, never mind use.

If you have rewards accumulated, they are in the rewards account, not in the phone, so when you check out, the cashier should ask if you want to apply any available rewards to your purchase. They always have for me, but I think the payment terminal also prompts you. The reward is simply applied to the sale and debited from the rewards account. This is how Walgreens does their rewards, and has NOTHING whatsoever to do with ApplePay, per se. Personally, I like it a LOT better than most other stores such as Freddy's (Kroger) that send you a coupon worth some amount that they mail every three months, or other methods obviously designed with the hopes that you lose them or otherwise let them expire before redeeming.

As for being difficult to set up. I can't see how. I did this so long ago, and Walgreens has updated their app a couple times, but really the best way to add a supported rewards card to ApplePay is to just download the Walgreens app (as it alows additional functionality beyond just having the reward card linked to the iPhone Wallet), then log into the rewards account with it, and select the 'add to ApplePay' button for the rewards card. Now, when you go to a Walgreens, as the iPhone knows it is in a Walgreens, it displays the rewards card on the screen. When you go to check out, simply tap the phone on the terminal and the POS system will link the rewards account with the transaction, then when the transaction is totalled, you tap again to pay using your defined preferred credit card (the phone automatically knows to show the credit card at this stage). Easy peasy.

Some might whinge that it is two steps, not one, but think about it - it's two completely separate cards - a loyalty card, and a COMPLETELY SEPARATE payment card. They have to be read separately, as that allows the customer to use whatever payment card they want, but still get rewards (as applicable per the terms of the rewards programme, of which many out there simply stink on ice).

• Reply 12 of 37
    mstone wrote: »

I can see at least 2 ways this could be handled:

Two cards - A Rewards Card and a Credit card:
    1. accumulate/optionally redeem (reduce charge amount) rewards through rewards card at checkout
    2. pay with ApplePay CC of choice

One card - A store issued (e.g, Wallgreen's) CC:
    1. accumulate/optionally redeem (reduce charge amount) rewards, and Pay through ApplePay with store-issued CC.

Likely, the two-card scenario will be used, initially, by most businesses.

The larger chains (or several chains in combination) could evolve to issuing their own ApplePay approved combination CC/Rewards cards.

Oddly, the whole CC thing started in the late 1940s or early 1950s with a store-issued card called a "Charge-A-Plate". These plates were made from embossed aluminum:

http://www.thedepartmentstoremuseum.org/2010/11/charge-cards.html

We Lived in Minneapolis and my Mom had Charge-A-Plates from Dayton's and Donaldson's -- the two major department stores.

Later, Oil Companies issued gasoline CCs. My very first CC was from Union Oil in the 1960s.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I can see at least 2 ways this could be handled:

Two cards - A Rewards Card and a Credit card:

1. accumulate/optionally redeem (reduce charge amount) rewards through rewards card at checkout

2. pay with ApplePay CC of choice

One card - A store issued (e.g, Wallgreen's) CC:

1. accumulate/optionally redeem (reduce charge amount) rewards, and Pay through ApplePay with store-issued CC.

Likely, the two-card scenario will be used, initially, by most businesses.

The larger chains (or several chains in combination) could evolve to issuing their own ApplePay approved combination CC/Rewards cards.

Oddly, the whole CC thing started in the late 1940s or early 1950s with a store-issued card called a "Charge-A-Plate". These plates were made from embossed aluminum:

http://www.thedepartmentstoremuseum.org/2010/11/charge-cards.html

We Lived in Minneapolis and my Mom had Charge-A-Plates from Dayton's and Donaldson's -- the two major department stores.

Later, Oil Companies issued gasoline CCs. My very first CC was from Union Oil in the 1960s.

some interesting history - thanks !

a third option then - ( not preferred at least my me) is to do the starbucks type reward, where you top it up (from Apple Pay if you like)

its only a single transaction - and you get your rewards, altough in this case, before the reward ( a free any price coffee) is redeemed, you have to tell the sales person - so they know to re-imburse differently....

Now something else thats a little confusing, I added Walgreens to my wallet, so its on my phone AND apple watch...

now if i click the button on the watch twice, it will bring up my credit cards, and a BIG blue walgreens badge ( with no useful info on it!!!

note that starbucks NEVER appears when double clicking the button - you have to select wallet from the watch menu to see that.

I still think its a little clunky and confusing..

• Reply 14 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Vavatch View Post

If you have rewards accumulated, they are in the rewards account, not in the phone, so when you check out, the cashier should ask if you want to apply any available rewards to your purchase. They always have for me, but I think the payment terminal also prompts you. The reward is simply applied to the sale and debited from the rewards account. This is how Walgreens does their rewards, and has NOTHING whatsoever to do with ApplePay, per se. Personally, I like it a LOT better than most other stores such as Freddy's (Kroger) that send you a coupon worth some amount that they mail every three months, or other methods obviously designed with the hopes that you lose them or otherwise let them expire before redeeming.

As for being difficult to set up. I can't see how. I did this so long ago, and Walgreens has updated their app a couple times, but really the best way to add a supported rewards card to ApplePay is to just download the Walgreens app (as it alows additional functionality beyond just having the reward card linked to the iPhone Wallet), then log into the rewards account with it, and select the 'add to ApplePay' button for the rewards card. Now, when you go to a Walgreens, as the iPhone knows it is in a Walgreens, it displays the rewards card on the screen. When you go to check out, simply tap the phone on the terminal and the POS system will link the rewards account with the transaction, then when the transaction is totalled, you tap again to pay using your defined preferred credit card (the phone automatically knows to show the credit card at this stage). Easy peasy.

Some might whinge that it is two steps, not one, but think about it - it's two completely separate cards - a loyalty card, and a COMPLETELY SEPARATE payment card. They have to be read separately, as that allows the customer to use whatever payment card they want, but still get rewards (as applicable per the terms of the rewards programme, of which many out there simply stink on ice).

ok...

I added Walgreens to my wallet, so its on my iphone AND apple watch...

now if i click the button on the watch twice, it will bring up my credit cards, and a BIG blue walgreens badge ( with no useful info on it!!! but if i scroll it up i can see the barcode...

note the starbucks app NEVER appears when double clicking the button - you have to select wallet from the watch menu to see that.

it seems inconsistent - and its a little confusing - IMHO

• Reply 15 of 37
    Goodbye CVS.
    Hello Walgreen's.

I just registered online for Walgreen's Rewards and inserted the loyalty card into Apple Wallet. Took less than 5 minutes.
  • Reply 16 of 37

OK well, entering my phone number is easy too. If they can make it automatically work when I pay with my phone, that would be an improvement.

• Reply 17 of 37
    Quote:

ok...

now if i click the button on the watch twice, it will bring up my credit cards, and a BIG blue walgreens badge ( with no useful info on it!!! but if i scroll it up i can see the barcode...

note the starbucks app NEVER appears when double clicking the button - you have to select wallet from the watch menu to see that.

You do NOT need the barcode anymore. Now it works using the NFC. So, tap the phone (or the watch) on the terminal and it will read the rewards card, and then repeat (using the payment method). It's really no different than physical cards, except that you do not dig around for the cards, scan/swipe/insert them, enter any PIN codes, or sign with your signature, etc. Just tap for rewards, and tap again to pay. Seriously, what could be easier?

Okay, I know... one tap, right? Well, I addressed that. it needs to be two. One for rewards account, and the other for payment, but there is the possibility of a credit on the rewards account exceeding the amount of the transaction total, and if applied, then the payment card is is not needed, so no second tap in such a case, as no payment is needed - again, this is because everything was processed in the rewards card.

As an example, Starbucks, which has had a rewards cards in the Wallet for a couple years now, and who has committed to adding ApplePay support to their POS terminals soon, will either continue to require the payment to be using funds that have already been applied to the rewards account to get credit for the purchase, or a double tap process - I think that Starbucks pushes the prepayment specifically to cut down on handling of cash and credit card fees, though the latter still exist when using a card to reloading, but likely fewer overall transaction fees for loading larger amounts onto cards than the typical transaction, and as those merchant fees still remain with credit cards processed through ApplePay, I suspect Starbucks would prefer to keep the process as it is, but is likely also getting pressure to loosen up a bit.

• Reply 18 of 37
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I get the impression the NFC reader's transmission gives the mobile device the information to prep for the right payment type.

• Reply 19 of 37
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

ok...

You won't see Starbucks when double clicking the watch button because the double click only starts an ApplePay event and Starbucks doesn't participate in that as of now. So it's perfectly in line with the rules for ApplePay versus other Wallet Cards, when I trigger Apple Pay I never see my REI card either, because it's also not an ApplePay participant, even though in the Wallet both those "cards" are side by side alongside my ApplePay linked cards.

• Reply 20 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

You won't see Starbucks when double clicking the watch button because the double click only starts an ApplePay event and Starbucks doesn't participate in that as of now. So it's perfectly in line with the rules for ApplePay versus other Wallet Cards, when I trigger Apple Pay I never see my REI card either, because it's also not an ApplePay participant, even though in the Wallet both those "cards" are side by side alongside my ApplePay linked cards.

thanks

so starbucks card will not show when i double click apple watch because starbucks doesnt participate in 'that' - even though i add funds to starbucks  with apple pay - 

I guess it will become clearer as more rewards cards are added