What MacRumors forum has become lately ...

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 188
    I’ve seen posts from either an Apple hater or Apple apologists get removed from MR. I don’t want a site that ignores flaws and bad decisions by Apple but Apple does value-if imperfectly- privacy and for that reason alone I would stick with Apple. And despite some devices having  flaws they mostly make good products. No company has a perfect product record. Mac Rumors seems to absolutely hate Tim Cook and pines for the return of someone like Steve Jobs. First, he wasn’t perfect either and second, how many businesses leaders have the combination of luck, skill, connections, personality and perception that he had? Certainly if you know someone then bring their name forward. 

And please don't say Elon Musk. I do think he is a world class businessman, but I want him to succeed or fail pushing cars, batteries, renewable energy and space flight. Looking for a clone of Jobs is a guaranteed way to fail. You need to find or be someone different from everyone before, in some way. And if I knew how and what to be different in then I would be that person. I don’t so I’m not.
  • Reply 182 of 188
    I’ve seen posts from either an Apple hater or Apple apologists get removed from MR. I don’t want a site that ignores flaws and bad decisions by Apple but Apple does value-if imperfectly- privacy and for that reason alone I would stick with Apple. And despite some devices having  flaws they mostly make good products. No company has a perfect product record. Mac Rumors seems to absolutely hate Tim Cook and pines for the return of someone like Steve Jobs. First, he wasn’t perfect either and second, how many businesses leaders have the combination of luck, skill, connections, personality and perception that he had? Certainly if you know someone then bring their name forward. 

And please don't say Elon Musk. I do think he is a world class businessman, but I want him to succeed or fail pushing cars, batteries, renewable energy and space flight. Looking for a clone of Jobs is a guaranteed way to fail. You need to find or be someone different from everyone before, in some way. And if I knew how and what to be different in then I would be that person. I don’t so I’m not.
    The amount of people who are consistently anti-Cook are amazing. It is astounding how rampant it is there. If you don't hate Tim Cook, you're not a true Macrumors member. Mr. Cook can do nothing right in the eyes of a good majority of Macrumors members. As if the average MR member could be 1/4th as successful. I have yet to read his biography but it is on my to do list. Reading about Sir Jonathan Ives was interesting and eye opening after having been on MR for so long. I may be souring against MR recently but there are a lot of things I think they get wrong.

You're correct, no company is perfect. I could point out a dozen flaws by Apple right now if I wanted. But I've used the competition and decided that this was my best bet. I don't spend my life bagging on Dell on Dell forums for the majority of my day (or Lenovo). MR is becoming a Hate Apple forum. It drives outrage and clicks. Say Tim Cook sucks and you're guaranteed a 5+ page thread there.
  • Reply 183 of 188
    I can see why people keep going back to Macrumors though. That forum is alive and kicking. Most other forums are pretty dead.
  • Reply 184 of 188
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,296member
    At least at MacRumors, entire discussion threads don't just disappear because one person can't control themselves, or someone moderator gets too touchy over the subject matter.
  • Reply 185 of 188
    cgWerks said:
    At least at MacRumors, entire discussion threads don't just disappear because one person can't control themselves, or someone moderator gets too touchy over the subject matter.
    Well, duh.

I find some posts on the MR to be really helpful, but that's way before 2019 (or even 2015).  
    The trouble of Apple Forums today is everyone got the Apple® Hysteria which ends up taking sides and just fights.
  • Reply 186 of 188
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 4,876administrator
    cgWerks said:
    We have one or two miscreants in every thread. Every single one. They get pruned, and bans are issued.

When the thread becomes a circle-jerk of forum rule infractions with folks rising to the bait ad infinitum, then it gets nuked from orbit.
    edited September 11 gatorguy
  • Reply 187 of 188
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    cgWerks said:
    We have one or two miscreants in every thread. Every single one. They get pruned, and bans are issued.

When the thread becomes a circle-jerk of forum rule infractions with folks rising to the bait ad infinitum, then it gets nuked from orbit.
    It's the only way to be sure.....
  • Reply 188 of 188
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,296member
    Mike Wuerthele said:
    Yeah, I get that. But, IMO, that kind of moderation isn't great for the other dozens or hundreds of posts on thread that were having a good discussion. It would be better just to freeze it than nuke it all.