What MacRumors forum has become lately ...

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 171
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 1,893member
    IdentityCrisis said:
    Their reasoning was I had multiple accounts which is not true.  I use a VPN program as well to protect my identity the best I can, and it seems they are using a broad range of IPs and blocking people as soon as they see them.  
    Yeah, unfortunately, that's how most commercial VPN services work (they randomly use a new IP out of a huge set for each connection), as well as how some threat-detection systems work (same account from multiple IP 'locations')... so a bad combination.

I seem to have a similar issue when I travel and use a VPN with Gmail, so it isn't just MR.
  • Reply 162 of 171
    cgWerks said:
    IdentityCrisis said:
    Their reasoning was I had multiple accounts which is not true.  I use a VPN program as well to protect my identity the best I can, and it seems they are using a broad range of IPs and blocking people as soon as they see them.  
    Yeah, unfortunately, that's how most commercial VPN services work (they randomly use a new IP out of a huge set for each connection), as well as how some threat-detection systems work (same account from multiple IP 'locations')... so a bad combination.

I seem to have a similar issue when I travel and use a VPN with Gmail, so it isn't just MR.

I was also just banned today from MR.  It seems a guy reported me because he was complaining about every computer he got from Apple.  MBP 2018, Mac mini, 13" MBP, all had issues he didn't like, and I said, I guess you can't be happy with anything from Apple.  What about an iPad Pro.  I saw he said Reported.  Next thing I know, I got banned.  And it was WeaselBoy and it said due to multiple accounts.  

WTF.  I have never had multiple accounts and how on earth is my post even breaking any rules?  Seems to me Weaselboy is abusing his powers and just banning anyone for multiple accounts for any reason.

Is he some type of kid?  
  • Reply 163 of 171
    RV8 said:
    For those questioning how badly moderation has gotten at MR, here are the 3 horrible violations I had that got me banned from PRSI.  IMO the moderator has a name that fits him.

Weaselboy is an officious Junior High School Hall Monitor that has the backs of the regulars over there. He routinely stalked and rebukes people who upset the angry members who act like vicious members of the Democratic Underground. That's an objective observation, not a political one. The guy is a caricature of the over-used concept of the "Social Justice Warrior", giving legitimate social causes a terrible name.

You are exactly right, there is a core of nasty posters who provoke anyone who disagrees with their agenda (anti-corporation, etc), and are adept at using Weaselboy as a weapon by the thirty odd people who are on there 24/7 talking politics and nothing else. It's non-stop conflict and new threads about the latest political idiocy every day. Why Macrumors doesn't close their political forum is beyond me. It's hurting their business and reputation. 

If you are a thinking adult, and don't like being treated like a child, don't go there. Tell everyone you know to do likewise to avoid the toxic atmosphere. The discourse there is obviously dictated by the silliness you see on college campuses. It assumes that everyone is a helpless victim, results in infantile lecturing, and ends up making the problem worse.

That said, their loss is Appleinsiders gain. I tell everyone to avoid MacRumours. Come here instead.
    As a long time member of MacRumors Forum I have experienced this several times myself and this time decided to write an article on it. Mostly because they shutdown any type of response, they also regularly delete grievances from their feedback forum. So here is a summary that I've written up to address both the forum and their main heavy hitter Weaselboy. https://macrumors-banning.blogspot.com/2019/01/macrumors-forum-rules-and-bannings-good.html ;
  • Reply 164 of 171
    ericgtr12 said:
    RV8 said:
    For those questioning how badly moderation has gotten at MR, here are the 3 horrible violations I had that got me banned from PRSI.  IMO the moderator has a name that fits him.

Weaselboy is an officious Junior High School Hall Monitor that has the backs of the regulars over there. He routinely stalked and rebukes people who upset the angry members who act like vicious members of the Democratic Underground. That's an objective observation, not a political one. The guy is a caricature of the over-used concept of the "Social Justice Warrior", giving legitimate social causes a terrible name.

You are exactly right, there is a core of nasty posters who provoke anyone who disagrees with their agenda (anti-corporation, etc), and are adept at using Weaselboy as a weapon by the thirty odd people who are on there 24/7 talking politics and nothing else. It's non-stop conflict and new threads about the latest political idiocy every day. Why Macrumors doesn't close their political forum is beyond me. It's hurting their business and reputation. 

If you are a thinking adult, and don't like being treated like a child, don't go there. Tell everyone you know to do likewise to avoid the toxic atmosphere. The discourse there is obviously dictated by the silliness you see on college campuses. It assumes that everyone is a helpless victim, results in infantile lecturing, and ends up making the problem worse.

That said, their loss is Appleinsiders gain. I tell everyone to avoid MacRumours. Come here instead.
    As a long time member of MacRumors Forum I have experienced this several times myself and this time decided to write an article on it. Mostly because they shutdown any type of response, they also regularly delete grievances from their feedback forum. So here is a summary that I've written up to address both the forum and their main heavy hitter Weaselboy. https://macrumors-banning.blogspot.com/2019/01/macrumors-forum-rules-and-bannings-good.html ;
    Your article doesn't;'t show to be online.  Is there a new link for it?  Would like to see it.

Edit: Found it with this link.  

https://macrumors-banning.blogspot.com
    edited February 3 ericgtr12
  • Reply 165 of 171
    I've seen recently at least 10 people who have voiced their opinion either in the feedback forum or in the alternate section and the regular troupe makers come in and suddenly they get banned for not doing anything just the regulars seem to report everyone they don't like and it causes those people to get banned, and it's always the same excuse from Weasel boy (multiple accounts).  He seems to like to lie about that.
    ericgtr12
  • Reply 166 of 171
    ericgtr12 said:
    RV8 said:

Your article doesn't;'t show to be online.  Is there a new link for it?  Would like to see it.

Thanks for fixing that, I don't seem to be able to edit at this point. Yes, the hypocrisy there is out of control, I am very careful to watch my step but even then I cannot get away with what others do and it can be quite frustrating. Example: You called me a name, I report it and get "no action" so I reply calling the person the same name and get a warning. It happens there all the time, your best bet is getting on Weasleboy's good side if you want to be treated fairly.
  • Reply 167 of 171
    ericgtr12 said:
    ericgtr12 said:
    RV8 said:

Thanks for fixing that, I don't seem to be able to edit at this point. Yes, the hypocrisy there is out of control, I am very careful to watch my step but even then I cannot get away with what others do and it can be quite frustrating. Example: You called me a name, I report it and get "no action" so I reply calling the person the same name and get a warning. It happens there all the time, your best bet is getting on Weasleboy's good side if you want to be treated fairly.
    Yeah, not sure how you would get on his good side but either way, today again just browsing threads, I see a bunch of others already suspended again.  It's crazy they are allowed to get away with this and its ruining that site if not ruined it already.  
  • Reply 168 of 171
    ericgtr12 said:
    ericgtr12 said:
    RV8 said:

Yeah, not sure how you would get on his good side but either way, today again just browsing threads, I see a bunch of others already suspended again.  It's crazy they are allowed to get away with this and its ruining that site if not ruined it already.  
    He's a nice enough guy but whether he admits it or not, he basically sits around all day issuing infractions and seems to get off on it. I guess what I don't get is why they would even have this forum when it basically means they have to spend so much time policing it to conform with their (ridiculously) stringent rules. Lately I've been hanging my hat over at Reddit, where the users decide what's good and bad, not some tightly wound forum cops.
  • Reply 169 of 171
    ericgtr12 said:
    He's a nice enough guy but whether he admits it or not, he basically sits around all day issuing infractions and seems to get off on it. I guess what I don't get is why they would even have this forum when it basically means they have to spend so much time policing it to conform with their (ridiculously) stringent rules. Lately I've been hanging my hat over at Reddit, where the users decide what's good and bad, not some tightly wound forum cops.
    I guess what's puzzling me is the 'stringent rules.' As was mentioned above, I see some calling names, while others seem to get banned for doing the same. So, I guess it's best just not to call names (duh... kind of like the police only pull over some small percentage of speeders), but I also see it in other ways. Some discussions can get quite hostile, political, etc. and seem to carry on, while others seem to get smacked down. Certainly inconsistent.

re: Reddit - I think I like that even less though, as you end up being policed by the aggregate of Internet stupidity.
    ericgtr12
  • Reply 170 of 171
    cgWerks said:
    ericgtr12 said:
    I guess what's puzzling me is the 'stringent rules.' As was mentioned above, I see some calling names, while others seem to get banned for doing the same. So, I guess it's best just not to call names (duh... kind of like the police only pull over some small percentage of speeders), but I also see it in other ways. Some discussions can get quite hostile, political, etc. and seem to carry on, while others seem to get smacked down. Certainly inconsistent.

re: Reddit - I think I like that even less though, as you end up being policed by the aggregate of Internet stupidity.
    Good points, while they are upfront and clear about the rules, the biggest problem with them IMO is the total lack of consistency. I have brought this to the attention of staff and the answer is always something like "we are very consistent with our moderation" but the opposite is true, depending on the day and the moderator you'll get two very different results from the same "infraction" or if you're favored (which they do have their favorites) you'll be shown more leniency. In the end, they apply their rules in an ambiguous and subjective way so there's no way they can ever be consistent.

What I like most about Reddit is that the users dictate whether or not something you say is worthy of displaying by their upvote/downvote system. No need to report something (although you can) if enough people downvote your post it'll become hidden, to me this seems far more democratic.
  • Reply 171 of 171
    ericgtr12 said:
    Good points, while they are upfront and clear about the rules, the biggest problem with them IMO is the total lack of consistency. I have brought this to the attention of staff and the answer is always something like "we are very consistent with our moderation" but the opposite is true, depending on the day and the moderator you'll get two very different results from the same "infraction" or if you're favored (which they do have their favorites) you'll be shown more leniency. In the end, they apply their rules in an ambiguous and subjective way so there's no way they can ever be consistent.

What I like most about Reddit is that the users dictate whether or not something you say is worthy of displaying by their upvote/downvote system. No need to report something (although you can) if enough people downvote your post it'll become hidden, to me this seems far more democratic.
    Yeah, I guess it's their prerogative in how they police their forums. I'd like more consistency too, though that said (knock on wood) I've never been banned there.

re: Reddit - The problem with this (and democracies) is that you can be right, but if you aren't popular enough, you're out of luck. That's why a pure democracy would suck! Big masses of people are often pretty stupid.
    ericgtr12