What MacRumors forum has become lately ...

12345679»

Comments

  • Reply 161 of 178
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,027member
    IdentityCrisis said:
    Their reasoning was I had multiple accounts which is not true.  I use a VPN program as well to protect my identity the best I can, and it seems they are using a broad range of IPs and blocking people as soon as they see them.  
    Yeah, unfortunately, that's how most commercial VPN services work (they randomly use a new IP out of a huge set for each connection), as well as how some threat-detection systems work (same account from multiple IP 'locations')... so a bad combination.

    I seem to have a similar issue when I travel and use a VPN with Gmail, so it isn't just MR.
  • Reply 162 of 178
    cgWerks said:
    IdentityCrisis said:
    Their reasoning was I had multiple accounts which is not true.  I use a VPN program as well to protect my identity the best I can, and it seems they are using a broad range of IPs and blocking people as soon as they see them.  
    Yeah, unfortunately, that's how most commercial VPN services work (they randomly use a new IP out of a huge set for each connection), as well as how some threat-detection systems work (same account from multiple IP 'locations')... so a bad combination.

    I seem to have a similar issue when I travel and use a VPN with Gmail, so it isn't just MR.

    I was also just banned today from MR.  It seems a guy reported me because he was complaining about every computer he got from Apple.  MBP 2018, Mac mini, 13" MBP, all had issues he didn't like, and I said, I guess you can't be happy with anything from Apple.  What about an iPad Pro.  I saw he said Reported.  Next thing I know, I got banned.  And it was WeaselBoy and it said due to multiple accounts.  

    WTF.  I have never had multiple accounts and how on earth is my post even breaking any rules?  Seems to me Weaselboy is abusing his powers and just banning anyone for multiple accounts for any reason.

    Is he some type of kid?  
  • Reply 163 of 178
    RV8 said:
    For those questioning how badly moderation has gotten at MR, here are the 3 horrible violations I had that got me banned from PRSI.  IMO the moderator has a name that fits him.

    Weaselboy is an officious Junior High School Hall Monitor that has the backs of the regulars over there. He routinely stalked and rebukes people who upset the angry members who act like vicious members of the Democratic Underground. That's an objective observation, not a political one. The guy is a caricature of the over-used concept of the "Social Justice Warrior", giving legitimate social causes a terrible name.

    You are exactly right, there is a core of nasty posters who provoke anyone who disagrees with their agenda (anti-corporation, etc), and are adept at using Weaselboy as a weapon by the thirty odd people who are on there 24/7 talking politics and nothing else. It's non-stop conflict and new threads about the latest political idiocy every day. Why Macrumors doesn't close their political forum is beyond me. It's hurting their business and reputation. 

    If you are a thinking adult, and don't like being treated like a child, don't go there. Tell everyone you know to do likewise to avoid the toxic atmosphere. The discourse there is obviously dictated by the silliness you see on college campuses. It assumes that everyone is a helpless victim, results in infantile lecturing, and ends up making the problem worse.

    That said, their loss is Appleinsiders gain. I tell everyone to avoid MacRumours. Come here instead.
    As a long time member of MacRumors Forum I have experienced this several times myself and this time decided to write an article on it. Mostly because they shutdown any type of response, they also regularly delete grievances from their feedback forum. So here is a summary that I've written up to address both the forum and their main heavy hitter Weaselboy. https://macrumors-banning.blogspot.com/2019/01/macrumors-forum-rules-and-bannings-good.html ;
  • Reply 164 of 178
    ericgtr12 said:
    RV8 said:
    For those questioning how badly moderation has gotten at MR, here are the 3 horrible violations I had that got me banned from PRSI.  IMO the moderator has a name that fits him.

    Weaselboy is an officious Junior High School Hall Monitor that has the backs of the regulars over there. He routinely stalked and rebukes people who upset the angry members who act like vicious members of the Democratic Underground. That's an objective observation, not a political one. The guy is a caricature of the over-used concept of the "Social Justice Warrior", giving legitimate social causes a terrible name.

    You are exactly right, there is a core of nasty posters who provoke anyone who disagrees with their agenda (anti-corporation, etc), and are adept at using Weaselboy as a weapon by the thirty odd people who are on there 24/7 talking politics and nothing else. It's non-stop conflict and new threads about the latest political idiocy every day. Why Macrumors doesn't close their political forum is beyond me. It's hurting their business and reputation. 

    If you are a thinking adult, and don't like being treated like a child, don't go there. Tell everyone you know to do likewise to avoid the toxic atmosphere. The discourse there is obviously dictated by the silliness you see on college campuses. It assumes that everyone is a helpless victim, results in infantile lecturing, and ends up making the problem worse.

    That said, their loss is Appleinsiders gain. I tell everyone to avoid MacRumours. Come here instead.
    As a long time member of MacRumors Forum I have experienced this several times myself and this time decided to write an article on it. Mostly because they shutdown any type of response, they also regularly delete grievances from their feedback forum. So here is a summary that I've written up to address both the forum and their main heavy hitter Weaselboy. https://macrumors-banning.blogspot.com/2019/01/macrumors-forum-rules-and-bannings-good.html ;
    Your article doesn't;'t show to be online.  Is there a new link for it?  Would like to see it.

    Edit: Found it with this link.  

    https://macrumors-banning.blogspot.com
    edited February 3 ericgtr12
  • Reply 165 of 178
    I've seen recently at least 10 people who have voiced their opinion either in the feedback forum or in the alternate section and the regular troupe makers come in and suddenly they get banned for not doing anything just the regulars seem to report everyone they don't like and it causes those people to get banned, and it's always the same excuse from Weasel boy (multiple accounts).  He seems to like to lie about that.
    ericgtr12xyayx
  • Reply 166 of 178
    ericgtr12 said:
    RV8 said:
    For those questioning how badly moderation has gotten at MR, here are the 3 horrible violations I had that got me banned from PRSI.  IMO the moderator has a name that fits him.

    Weaselboy is an officious Junior High School Hall Monitor that has the backs of the regulars over there. He routinely stalked and rebukes people who upset the angry members who act like vicious members of the Democratic Underground. That's an objective observation, not a political one. The guy is a caricature of the over-used concept of the "Social Justice Warrior", giving legitimate social causes a terrible name.

    You are exactly right, there is a core of nasty posters who provoke anyone who disagrees with their agenda (anti-corporation, etc), and are adept at using Weaselboy as a weapon by the thirty odd people who are on there 24/7 talking politics and nothing else. It's non-stop conflict and new threads about the latest political idiocy every day. Why Macrumors doesn't close their political forum is beyond me. It's hurting their business and reputation. 

    If you are a thinking adult, and don't like being treated like a child, don't go there. Tell everyone you know to do likewise to avoid the toxic atmosphere. The discourse there is obviously dictated by the silliness you see on college campuses. It assumes that everyone is a helpless victim, results in infantile lecturing, and ends up making the problem worse.

    That said, their loss is Appleinsiders gain. I tell everyone to avoid MacRumours. Come here instead.
    As a long time member of MacRumors Forum I have experienced this several times myself and this time decided to write an article on it. Mostly because they shutdown any type of response, they also regularly delete grievances from their feedback forum. So here is a summary that I've written up to address both the forum and their main heavy hitter Weaselboy. https://macrumors-banning.blogspot.com/2019/01/macrumors-forum-rules-and-bannings-good.html ;
    Your article doesn't;'t show to be online.  Is there a new link for it?  Would like to see it.

    Edit: Found it with this link.  

    https://macrumors-banning.blogspot.com
    Thanks for fixing that, I don't seem to be able to edit at this point. Yes, the hypocrisy there is out of control, I am very careful to watch my step but even then I cannot get away with what others do and it can be quite frustrating. Example: You called me a name, I report it and get "no action" so I reply calling the person the same name and get a warning. It happens there all the time, your best bet is getting on Weasleboy's good side if you want to be treated fairly.
  • Reply 167 of 178
    ericgtr12 said:
    ericgtr12 said:
    RV8 said:
    For those questioning how badly moderation has gotten at MR, here are the 3 horrible violations I had that got me banned from PRSI.  IMO the moderator has a name that fits him.

    Weaselboy is an officious Junior High School Hall Monitor that has the backs of the regulars over there. He routinely stalked and rebukes people who upset the angry members who act like vicious members of the Democratic Underground. That's an objective observation, not a political one. The guy is a caricature of the over-used concept of the "Social Justice Warrior", giving legitimate social causes a terrible name.

    You are exactly right, there is a core of nasty posters who provoke anyone who disagrees with their agenda (anti-corporation, etc), and are adept at using Weaselboy as a weapon by the thirty odd people who are on there 24/7 talking politics and nothing else. It's non-stop conflict and new threads about the latest political idiocy every day. Why Macrumors doesn't close their political forum is beyond me. It's hurting their business and reputation. 

    If you are a thinking adult, and don't like being treated like a child, don't go there. Tell everyone you know to do likewise to avoid the toxic atmosphere. The discourse there is obviously dictated by the silliness you see on college campuses. It assumes that everyone is a helpless victim, results in infantile lecturing, and ends up making the problem worse.

    That said, their loss is Appleinsiders gain. I tell everyone to avoid MacRumours. Come here instead.
    As a long time member of MacRumors Forum I have experienced this several times myself and this time decided to write an article on it. Mostly because they shutdown any type of response, they also regularly delete grievances from their feedback forum. So here is a summary that I've written up to address both the forum and their main heavy hitter Weaselboy. https://macrumors-banning.blogspot.com/2019/01/macrumors-forum-rules-and-bannings-good.html ;
    Your article doesn't;'t show to be online.  Is there a new link for it?  Would like to see it.

    Edit: Found it with this link.  

    https://macrumors-banning.blogspot.com
    Thanks for fixing that, I don't seem to be able to edit at this point. Yes, the hypocrisy there is out of control, I am very careful to watch my step but even then I cannot get away with what others do and it can be quite frustrating. Example: You called me a name, I report it and get "no action" so I reply calling the person the same name and get a warning. It happens there all the time, your best bet is getting on Weasleboy's good side if you want to be treated fairly.
    Yeah, not sure how you would get on his good side but either way, today again just browsing threads, I see a bunch of others already suspended again.  It's crazy they are allowed to get away with this and its ruining that site if not ruined it already.  
  • Reply 168 of 178
    ericgtr12 said:
    ericgtr12 said:
    RV8 said:
    For those questioning how badly moderation has gotten at MR, here are the 3 horrible violations I had that got me banned from PRSI.  IMO the moderator has a name that fits him.

    Weaselboy is an officious Junior High School Hall Monitor that has the backs of the regulars over there. He routinely stalked and rebukes people who upset the angry members who act like vicious members of the Democratic Underground. That's an objective observation, not a political one. The guy is a caricature of the over-used concept of the "Social Justice Warrior", giving legitimate social causes a terrible name.

    You are exactly right, there is a core of nasty posters who provoke anyone who disagrees with their agenda (anti-corporation, etc), and are adept at using Weaselboy as a weapon by the thirty odd people who are on there 24/7 talking politics and nothing else. It's non-stop conflict and new threads about the latest political idiocy every day. Why Macrumors doesn't close their political forum is beyond me. It's hurting their business and reputation. 

    If you are a thinking adult, and don't like being treated like a child, don't go there. Tell everyone you know to do likewise to avoid the toxic atmosphere. The discourse there is obviously dictated by the silliness you see on college campuses. It assumes that everyone is a helpless victim, results in infantile lecturing, and ends up making the problem worse.

    That said, their loss is Appleinsiders gain. I tell everyone to avoid MacRumours. Come here instead.
    As a long time member of MacRumors Forum I have experienced this several times myself and this time decided to write an article on it. Mostly because they shutdown any type of response, they also regularly delete grievances from their feedback forum. So here is a summary that I've written up to address both the forum and their main heavy hitter Weaselboy. https://macrumors-banning.blogspot.com/2019/01/macrumors-forum-rules-and-bannings-good.html ;
    Your article doesn't;'t show to be online.  Is there a new link for it?  Would like to see it.

    Edit: Found it with this link.  

    https://macrumors-banning.blogspot.com
    Thanks for fixing that, I don't seem to be able to edit at this point. Yes, the hypocrisy there is out of control, I am very careful to watch my step but even then I cannot get away with what others do and it can be quite frustrating. Example: You called me a name, I report it and get "no action" so I reply calling the person the same name and get a warning. It happens there all the time, your best bet is getting on Weasleboy's good side if you want to be treated fairly.
    Yeah, not sure how you would get on his good side but either way, today again just browsing threads, I see a bunch of others already suspended again.  It's crazy they are allowed to get away with this and its ruining that site if not ruined it already.  
    He's a nice enough guy but whether he admits it or not, he basically sits around all day issuing infractions and seems to get off on it. I guess what I don't get is why they would even have this forum when it basically means they have to spend so much time policing it to conform with their (ridiculously) stringent rules. Lately I've been hanging my hat over at Reddit, where the users decide what's good and bad, not some tightly wound forum cops.
  • Reply 169 of 178
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,027member
    ericgtr12 said:
    He's a nice enough guy but whether he admits it or not, he basically sits around all day issuing infractions and seems to get off on it. I guess what I don't get is why they would even have this forum when it basically means they have to spend so much time policing it to conform with their (ridiculously) stringent rules. Lately I've been hanging my hat over at Reddit, where the users decide what's good and bad, not some tightly wound forum cops.
    I guess what's puzzling me is the 'stringent rules.' As was mentioned above, I see some calling names, while others seem to get banned for doing the same. So, I guess it's best just not to call names (duh... kind of like the police only pull over some small percentage of speeders), but I also see it in other ways. Some discussions can get quite hostile, political, etc. and seem to carry on, while others seem to get smacked down. Certainly inconsistent.

    re: Reddit - I think I like that even less though, as you end up being policed by the aggregate of Internet stupidity.
    ericgtr12
  • Reply 170 of 178
    cgWerks said:
    ericgtr12 said:
    He's a nice enough guy but whether he admits it or not, he basically sits around all day issuing infractions and seems to get off on it. I guess what I don't get is why they would even have this forum when it basically means they have to spend so much time policing it to conform with their (ridiculously) stringent rules. Lately I've been hanging my hat over at Reddit, where the users decide what's good and bad, not some tightly wound forum cops.
    I guess what's puzzling me is the 'stringent rules.' As was mentioned above, I see some calling names, while others seem to get banned for doing the same. So, I guess it's best just not to call names (duh... kind of like the police only pull over some small percentage of speeders), but I also see it in other ways. Some discussions can get quite hostile, political, etc. and seem to carry on, while others seem to get smacked down. Certainly inconsistent.

    re: Reddit - I think I like that even less though, as you end up being policed by the aggregate of Internet stupidity.
    Good points, while they are upfront and clear about the rules, the biggest problem with them IMO is the total lack of consistency. I have brought this to the attention of staff and the answer is always something like "we are very consistent with our moderation" but the opposite is true, depending on the day and the moderator you'll get two very different results from the same "infraction" or if you're favored (which they do have their favorites) you'll be shown more leniency. In the end, they apply their rules in an ambiguous and subjective way so there's no way they can ever be consistent.

    What I like most about Reddit is that the users dictate whether or not something you say is worthy of displaying by their upvote/downvote system. No need to report something (although you can) if enough people downvote your post it'll become hidden, to me this seems far more democratic.
  • Reply 171 of 178
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,027member
    ericgtr12 said:
    Good points, while they are upfront and clear about the rules, the biggest problem with them IMO is the total lack of consistency. I have brought this to the attention of staff and the answer is always something like "we are very consistent with our moderation" but the opposite is true, depending on the day and the moderator you'll get two very different results from the same "infraction" or if you're favored (which they do have their favorites) you'll be shown more leniency. In the end, they apply their rules in an ambiguous and subjective way so there's no way they can ever be consistent.

    What I like most about Reddit is that the users dictate whether or not something you say is worthy of displaying by their upvote/downvote system. No need to report something (although you can) if enough people downvote your post it'll become hidden, to me this seems far more democratic.
    Yeah, I guess it's their prerogative in how they police their forums. I'd like more consistency too, though that said (knock on wood) I've never been banned there.

    re: Reddit - The problem with this (and democracies) is that you can be right, but if you aren't popular enough, you're out of luck. That's why a pure democracy would suck! Big masses of people are often pretty stupid.
    ericgtr12
  • Reply 172 of 178
    Add me to the list of people disgusted with MacRumors. I was a member there for many years. The trolling and Apple hatred got so horrible that I stopped posting 3 years ago. I stayed around only to read posts and send PM's to members who were there that truly needed help. I also reported a great deal of trolling posts. While the stuff that MR couldn't ignore was moderated (such as circumventing the language filter and frivolous posts) the Apple hatred posts always came back to me noted "No Moderation Warranted". Blatant name calling such as referring to members as "Apple Koolaid Drinkers" got moderated if I reported them depending on who the moderator was that received my report. What's interesting is, if one moderator does not moderate a post that should've been moderated, ARN (the owner I guess) will backup that moderator and will not moderate the post. This happened recently. I reported a member for calling another member an Apple KoolAid drinker. They refused to remove it. Hmm, they always remove that type of insult. I contacted MR about it and they claim "I don't see anywhere that there is an insult". HAHA. Horrible place. 

    The MacBook Pro section has a thread called "Who else is abandoning Ship?" All the responses are Apple trolls that are posting recommending Lenovo, Dell and Surface laptops. They are trashing the MacBook Pro. I reported that thread because it belongs in the "Apple Alternatives" section. The moderator felt that people that are upset with Apple should be allowed to recommend other products. YES, BUT NOT IN THE MacBook Pro SECTION. That's a hate fest for members who enjoy a civil conversation about the MacBook Pro. If Apple made such junk machines MacRumors would be out of business.

    Lately things got so bad that I finally abandoned ship. I sent a long message via the Contact Form that I was jumping ship from this place. MacRumors is nothing but a cess pool of trolls that hate Apple and MacRumors uses Apple's popularity to start fights to create clicks so they will make money. They are no better than the UnBox Therapy guy or Linus Tech Tips on YouTube. MacRumors has become the very thing that people accuse Apple of being...GREEDY FOR MONEY. It used to be such a respectable place to talk about Macs. Now it's nothing but "Tim Cook Needs To go", "F-Apple", "Angela Needs to be Fired". Nothing constructive, but rather hatred, and MacRumors fully supports anyone who hates Apple, as they hate Apple themselves.  See my attachments of posts and member comments about this trashy place. 

    I have every reason to believe that MacRumors plants trolls (although they denied it) to frustrate good members resulting in those good members defending themselves, only to be banned. Members such as "Queen6, Turbinesplane and SDColorado" are the prime haters in the MacBook Pro section. They completely ignore anyone who posts that they are happy with their new MacBooks and only thumb up hateful posts towards Apple. They even troll happy MacBook owner's posts reminding people how junky Apple's machines are in order to get members out of their happy place.  I do believe they are planted. They never get moderated even when they insult and attack members. 

    The moderator MAFLYNN is the worse moderator. He consistently posts his hatred towards Apple and tells members to buy Windows machines only and posts his PC purchases on the forum. Hmmm, isn't MR supposed to be an Apple Enthusiast site? I would think that diehard Windows fans would be posting on Windows forums. Why come to a MacBook Pro forum if you have nothing but disdain for the product and the company that creates it? Maybe their Windows machines aren't that great and they are bored with them? MAFLYNN tried to hate on Apple's pricing as he compared his new Lenovo X1 Extreme to Apple's MacBook. When he got called out for posting a ridiculous price difference he responded admitting that he got it with discount coupons. Pretty crappy of a moderator to start controversy. I have that attachment posted as well. 

    So glad I am done with MacRumros and they have closed my account as I have requested. I will never return. If any of you guys here are sick of MacRumors or AKA "I Hate Apple Dot Com", do yourself a huge favor as I have and leave and never go back there. You will enjoy your Mac so much more. There are much better sites to discuss Mac and Apple devices....such as Appleinsider. 







    SUNNY3061990
  • Reply 173 of 178
    Good post, and everything is true.  Many mods on that site are terrible and it is all about money and favoritism.  
    HenryDJPericgtr12
  • Reply 174 of 178
    xyayxxyayx Posts: 6member
    I was a member of MacRumors as well, for ten years, but recently I was banned. A lot can change in ten years and I don't use my previous email that I signed up with (it doesn't even exist anymore) and I re-registered and I was banned for rules violation. Then I registered again and got my IP banned.
    No idea why they are doing this and behaving this way. Most of the people were toxic anyways and I've found better forums ever since (not completely Mac related), but that's how I also found appleinsider.
    I seem to like this forum way better. Nicely designed and minimalistic and I'm glad I left this toxic-racist forum and I'll never visit their site again.
    HenryDJP
  • Reply 175 of 178
    xyayx said:
    I was a member of MacRumors as well, for ten years, but recently I was banned. A lot can change in ten years and I don't use my previous email that I signed up with (it doesn't even exist anymore) and I re-registered and I was banned for rules violation. Then I registered again and got my IP banned.
    No idea why they are doing this and behaving this way. Most of the people were toxic anyways and I've found better forums ever since (not completely Mac related), but that's how I also found appleinsider.
    I seem to like this forum way better. Nicely designed and minimalistic and I'm glad I left this toxic-racist forum and I'll never visit their site again.
    Congrats for leaving the dark side. Shame what Macrumors has become over the years. They don't want civil posting members. They want Apple-hating trolls to cause frustration and anger in order to get clicks, so they can make money. Macrumors is just as greedy for money as people make Apple out to be. They will soon ban a good member for defending themselves against the trolls, but they will never ban the trolls. 
  • Reply 176 of 178
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,027member
    HenryDJP said:
    Blatant name calling such as referring to members as "Apple Koolaid Drinkers" got moderated if I reported them depending on who the moderator ...
    Wow, I think I'd leave such a community IF that kind of thing got moderated. You seriously complained because someone said something like that? Sheesh!
  • Reply 177 of 178
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,208moderator
    cgWerks said:
    HenryDJP said:
    Blatant name calling such as referring to members as "Apple Koolaid Drinkers" got moderated if I reported them depending on who the moderator ...
    Wow, I think I'd leave such a community IF that kind of thing got moderated. You seriously complained because someone said something like that? Sheesh!
    Commenting guidelines at the bottom of every page:

    https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/184333/appleinsiders-updated-commenting-guidelines/p1
    "8. No ad hominem attacks, or similar. "Fanboy," "sheep," and other similar permutations are not allowed by any user, at any time."

    Throwing insults isn't an appropriate way to have a civil conversation. If you think it is, that other forum might be a better fit.
    gatorguyHenryDJP
  • Reply 178 of 178
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,027member
    Marvin said:
    Commenting guidelines at the bottom of every page:

    https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/184333/appleinsiders-updated-commenting-guidelines/p1
    "8. No ad hominem attacks, or similar. "Fanboy," "sheep," and other similar permutations are not allowed by any user, at any time."

    Throwing insults isn't an appropriate way to have a civil conversation. If you think it is, that other forum might be a better fit.
    Well, then the moderators must be pretty lax, as I and 90% of the people here would have been kicked by now, then. :)

    I guess my point was more that jokes about Apple/Steve's 'reality distortion field' and 'drank the kool-aid' and stuff like that are quite common in/around pretty much any Apple community I've ever been a part of. If it is more serious 'attacks' or just name-calling with no actual argument or discussion, then it makes more sense.
Sign In or Register to comment.