Is it possible to upload full Photos library from a diff computer (with faster internet connection)?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited November 2015

I have a very large Photos library (480GB)on my iMac (iMac #1) and would like to upload it to iCloud Photo Library.  

However, to speed up the process I was thinking of copying the library to an external drive, taking it to another computer (iMac #2) (that has a much faster internet connection (business class) and upload it from there (creating a new user account on that iMac #2 and using personal iCloud login).  

My question is - would this work? Using another computer (iMac #2) to upload all the photos, but then still have it connect with my iMac #1 (reading it as main library to synchronize from) and then synchronizing between other devices (iPhone, iPad, MPB)?  

Hope I made sense.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    You could save to iCloud but I believe you'd have to get their 1TB offering.

You should also consider Google Photos (free).
  • Reply 2 of 2

The 1TB iCloud storage is not an issue, that's the easy part. 

My concern / questions is more regarding the upload from a completely different iMac (#2), than my home iMac (#1).  Is that even possible or will it cause synchronization issues later?