Twitter's Periscope claims App of the Year in Apple's 2015 App Store picks

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple on Wednesday published its annual Best of 2015 feature for the App Store, highlighting the company's own picks as well as overall bestsellers.

Periscope, the Twitter-owned live streaming app, was chosen as the overall favorite among Apple editors. Close behind were Lightricks' Enlight photo editor, and Robinhood, an app for free stock trading.

Under a separate Games category, puzzler Lara Croft GO came in first, followed by Fallout Shelter and Mr Jump.

Automated action tool Workflow was selected as the "most innovative" general app, while the sound-based horror title Dark Echo was picked for most innovative game. Two 3D Touch-enabled apps, Instagram and Warhammer 40,000: Freeblade, were promoted as the best entries for the iPhone 6s. Both have been featured prominently in Apple press events.

In raw download terms, Heads Up! was the top paid app, while the most popular free one was Trivia Crack. The top grossing app however was Supercell's "freemium" game Clash of Clans -- though technically free to play, gamers can get the upper hand by buying in-game currency with real money.
flaneur

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Surprised Duet Display (allows an iPad to be a second display) wasn't included.  It's a program I use ALL the time with my MacBook Pro when I travel.  Glad Workflow was picked, another really useful app.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    "though technically free to play, gamers can get the upper hand by buying in-game currency with real money."

I thought of this day when I was a kid. I hoped it never came.

edited December 2015
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Periscope is pretty cool. Apple could also update FaceTime to be a bit more like it (give it a "FaceTime Live" button, maybe?)...