Apple.Com

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
With all the hoopla over MacWorld, has anyone commented about Apple's updated site? I think it looks cool and has me excited about the new look of Jaguar. Sorry if a thread was started about this already (I didn't see one).

Looks like they changed the tabs to the newer, more refined Jaguar look and they also changed the standard font to that new eMac font in many places. I think I like the older font better - but this one is a nice clean one too.

What's the deal with the dark non-glass like Apple logo on the home tab? I wonder why they changed that. Also, do you guys like the leopard look of the OS X tab and the metal look on the .mac tab?

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: Patchouli ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    The non glass logo is on the switch commercials too. I hate the jaguar skin stuff. I hate the brushed steel tab once you click on the .Mac tab. I like the new tabs. I love Apple Garamond, and want it back.

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: Stroszek ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 10
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    I like the new look, it's less intrusive, more "slick", if you will.

I still dig the brushed metal look for Apple's applications. I've never understood why it gets a bad rap. It denotes a certain functionality of the window: if it's brushed metal, then you instantly know that you can click and drag anywhere there's brushed metal.

Also, Quicktime 6 has a new behavior: double click ANYWHERE on the brushed metal, and it minimizes into the dock! Very sweet. Unfortunately, iTunes 3 doesn't do this.

I must agree that the leopard skin stylin' for jaguar is pretty lame. Usually Apple has the finest graphic artists that can be found, but in this case it looks like a high-school intern was let loose on Jaguar. As long as the OS itself rocks, I won't be complaining about the hokey box stylin'.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Regarding Jaguar, this is the first time I recall a product's codename (or internal naming) be used so heavily as THE name.

In other words, Pismo didn't look like a shell, Kihei didn't erupt, WallStreet was particularly, well, whatever...you get my point (I'm sure some of you know some cooler and more obscure codenames and all).

I simply thought "Jaguar" was the internal, Apple-only name for 10.2 (like "Liquid Sky" is for Photoshop at Adobe and so forth).

I was stunned to see the animal print motif on the big familiar "X". Then to see it worked into the packaging AND the OS X section of Apple's website.

Here's hoping OS 10.5's codename isn't "bacon fat".
  • Reply 4 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I wasn't stunned at all. I've been saying Apple will use the name Jaguar officially ever since WWDC.

<a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000697"; target="_blank">Near the bottom...</a>

<a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000894"; target="_blank">Here too, near the middle of the thread</a>
  • Reply 5 of 10
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Why all of a sudden did Apple decide to use a codename so heavily?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    patchoulipatchouli Posts: 402member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>Why all of a sudden did Apple decide to use a codename so heavily?</strong><hr></blockquote>Not sure. However, naming it 10.2 'Jaguar' with a new logo and pretty box makes it visually like a new OS - not just an upgrade. Perhaps this is the strategy behind the $129 flat price. If you think about it, if 'Jaguar' was packaged in the same box and logo as previous with the only difference being 10.2 on the front - it wouldn't seem like a major update. Calling (and branding) 10.2 as 'Jaguar' makes 10.1.5 seem like it's a different OS (to me anyway). Then again, they've had this pricing scheme before.

As far as the site goes, I have mixed opinions about the metal and leopard tabs - but I definitely do not like the flat, dull Apple logo. I prefer the glass-aqua looking one. If they wanted to update it, they should have made it shiny-chrome looking to go along with this new white/chrome/titanium thing they have going on.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Imagine the confusion though:

Consumer in computer store: "Excuse me, do you have MacOS Ten point two Jaguar?" I mean, is it MacOS or is it Jaguar? People will start saying "I have that Jaguar operating system"

Sure, people will see it right away on shelves... but yeesh. I dont think they will actually ship it that way.. its just for fun now
  • Reply 8 of 10
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by ZO:

<strong>

Sure, people will see it right away on shelves... but yeesh. I dont think they will actually ship it that way.. its just for fun now</strong><hr></blockquote>

We'll see, but I really think that'll be the box they ship it in.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    That's the box it will ship in. EmAn, you asked why? Apple's got many bugfixes in store and this is a way to simplify everything. Shield the consumer from the version number. This will make sure they don't confuse 10.0 and 10.1 with 10.2.

This is why Windows hid its version numbers. Windows XP is Windows NT 5.5.12345 or something like that.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>This is why Windows hid its version numbers. Windows XP is Windows NT 5.5.12345 or something like that.</strong><hr></blockquote>