Upcoming Pentium4 Mobile Chip - 30 watts!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
<a href="http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/zd/20011212/tc/pentium_4_looks_like_hot_stuff_1.html"; target="_blank">Yahoo Article</a>

Quote from the article:

[quote]Â*Â*When Intel's Pentium 4 comes to notebooks next year, consumers will discover a boost in computing power--and possibly an extra fan.

The new mobile Pentium 4 chip, which sources familiar with Intel's plans say will launch in late March or early April, will run at 1.6GHz and 1.7GHz--faster than any other portable chip.

But sources say the new Pentium 4 will also be much more power hungry than current Pentium III-M processors, which go up to 1.2GHz, or current Athlon 4 mobile chips from Advanced Micro Devices.

As a result, notebook makers will need to take extra precautions to fit the Pentium 4 into existing lines. Models that don't have a second fan for heat removal, for example, will likely have to add one. Larger, heavier batteries will also be part of the mix.

<hr></blockquote>

While that is quite fast for a mobile chip, that will keep the competitors laptops nice and bulky compared to Macs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I was doing a search a few months back on the power consumption of the Pentium III in notebooks. The number I was generally finding was a few watts (&lt;5W) at speeds higher than the G4 (TiBook's). In other words, less power at higher frequencies. What I couldn't find out was if that was with power saving features or not.

Beats me what the PIV is supposed to be, but I'm sure it's not much different that the G4. I was kind of amazed, actually, at their power consumption level. Intel guys can do interesting things...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    <strong>Originally posted by Scheisskopf:

I was doing a search a few months back on the power consumption of the Pentium III in notebooks. The number I was generally finding was a few watts (&lt;5W) at speeds higher than the G4 (TiBook's). In other words, less power at higher frequencies. What I couldn't find out was if that was with power saving features or not.</strong>

Just check the voltages at which those mobile PIIIs run at and compare it to a G4.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Scheisskopf

Konnen sie Deutsch sprechen?