Lawsuit seeks more than $5M from Apple for slowing older iPhones with iOS 9 upgrade

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 91
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    1. You weren’t forced to update.

2. Old hardware can’t run new software as fast as new hardware can.

3. These people should be individually fined the full price of their phones for being this stupid.
    I work mostly as an enterprise iOS developer, currently on a project with 400 deployed iPad AIR 1 devices in an enterprise environment. iOS9 on these units is horrible and the users are constantly reminded to upgrade to iOS9 even though we don't want them to. iOS 9 is clearly targeted at devices with 2GB+ RAM and that's mostly the problem. They've made it backward compatible with older devices but they probably should have forked iOS development for older devices but didn't presumably for cost reasons. I'm afraid this is Apple's cost-cutting for the sake of their bottom line coming back to bite them in the butt - they should have been adding more RAM to the iPhone devices a while back, at a minimum of iPhone 6. And I say that as someone who both works with Apple products and owns quite a lot of Apple stock.
    I'm running it fine on a much slower Ipad 2 so I'm calling fracking BS on your god damn assertion.
    Find some other invented BS to peddle.
  • Reply 82 of 91
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    grangerfx said:
    The real problem device is the iPad 2. It is now extremely slow after many iOS updates. The original iPad which still runs iOS 5 feels positively zippy compared to the iPad 2 which used to run circles around it. This would not be a big deal if you could downgrade the iPad 2 to an earlier version of iOS but Apple does not allow that. Everything now feels slow on the iPad 2 even just browsing the App Store or scrolling through the home pages. It is quite hard to use. The iPhone 4s may be slower running iOS 9 but the iPhone 4 is positively glacial running iOS 7 which is where the big slowdown happened.
    I got the Ipad 2 next to me and I don't see it.

Maybe if the damn internet pages weren't 100 MB nowadays, things would go quicker. The size of pages have been ballooning each and every year with more and more code and more and more outside links. That's what impacts browsing the most and don't tell me an original Ipad is going to be zippy on those pages. I don't believe you at all; simply impossible.

Outside browsing, It's zippy maybe because it doesn't have to support bloated third party apps made for devices with 2 times the memory...
    It got "stuck" on apps made for a device with very little memory (and since it wasn't supported long it didn't get apps inflation).

Allmost all apps now are bigger than when they got released, somehow forgot about that didn't you.
    Facebook is a POS app that should be banned from all phones if you ask me.

Also, if you leave all the defaults on when the upgrade comes in, of course it will be slower since your phone's CPU can't handle it all, especially if people have those ballooning apps running at the same time. Change in settings can do wonder, but you're still stuck with the bloated third party apps.

Why not sue all those crappy app writers who are eating up your memory, CPU and bandwidth?
    edited December 2015
  • Reply 83 of 91
    1. You weren’t forced to update.

2. Old hardware can’t run new software as fast as new hardware can.

3. These people should be individually fined the full price of their phones for being this stupid.
    Nice. What should we do about Vista? Hahahahahaa!
  • Reply 84 of 91
    About time, Apple should be more considerate of those who have older devices.  Forced upgrades, no, forced downloads, absolutely!  Forced upgrade, well, yes, if one ever has to restore as a new phone, no option as to staying with the original OS, usually degrading performance.  Is Apple aware of this? Absolutely!  Do they warn customers of this, absolutely not.  Does Apple use this situation purposefully to sell new devices?  Who knows, this lawsuit may solve this mystery.  My guess is yes, they do just that, why else would they force downloads onto older devices?
  • Reply 85 of 91
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,338member
    People are expecting far too much here.  The average (non-Mac) computer lasts 3 years tops before it's an old slow piece of junk with outdated ports.  It's pretty much always been that way except for the times when they last even less.  

Of course Macs tend to be more useful for a longer period of time, but expecting any 4, 5, or 6 year old computer to be anything but a slow PoS (even if it takes the latest software) is an unjustified expectation.  

As for your ideal world of three years of reasonable working conditions until a device becomes unusable, it's already here.  Even a crap Windows laptop will generally last three years at the same or similar level of performance.  I've never heard of a Mac ever, that wouldn't also qualify.  
    3 point rebuttal...

1) Apple devices are uncomparably good relative to non-Apple devices.   I and many others in this forum therefore couldn't care less how short their life spans are compared to my Macs and iOS devices. 

2) I said "3 years" while you spoke of "4-6 years."

3) An "ideal world" is defined as "only 3 years of useful performance"???  Furthermore "useful and largely underrated performance" (what I spoke of) is NOT "unusable."

Since you strove to make 3 points that were no points at all, I wonder if such a post largely differs from the dictionary definition of a "troll post."
  • Reply 86 of 91
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,338member
    I have two iPads. iPad3 and whatever they call the latest one. The performance issues you allude to are exaggerated and/or can be fixed. What people fail to understand is that each iOS iteration is more efficient than the last. The performance drop you notice is the ADDITION of features and new functionality. Most of this stuff can be TURNED OFF through some options. I feel Apple users, in general, don't explore under the hood enough to tailor the tech for their specific need. You'll be surprised how easy it is to get a boost in performance and battery with a simple toggle.
    Okay, Mr. Guns, please reveal this magic "toggle setting" which magically gives me iOS6 performance on my iPad3 running iOS9.  If you can do that, you will probably become an overnight sensation across the globe.  And should you fail to prove your words, you will be yet another troll who wasted your time and ours.

(Just a word of warning to you though, I am not ignorant of iOS settings that can be disabled to "improve" performance, but I assure you that no combination of settings brought my iOS 9 I Pad3 back to iOS 6 levels of performance.)
  • Reply 87 of 91
    I knew this would happen, and I'm glad it did. I spent a lot of money on my 4S and after nearly a forced (nagging) update to 8 and then 9, it became a piece of crap. It WAS unusable and I even went to Apple to ask them to revert the os to what it shipped with (7.something). They don't allow it. So, I bought a new phone because I couldn't stand the crappy day to day performance of my 4S. How do I become a class action member?
  • Reply 88 of 91
    Following this line of thought would make sense sue Samsung for failing to release Android updates. Or, maybe they should sue Google for failing to ensure that all smartphone makers are able to update Android in every device released.
    No, they should NOT allow the older devices to update to newer OSes if the OS will render the device unusable. My speed troubles started happening sometime in version 8, and version 9 was simply horrible. If apple said the 4s was stuck with version 7, I would have been totally fine with that. Or, if they allowed me to back up from 8 or 9, then that would have been a decent solution too. Microsoft is pushing hard on Windows10 update, but they DO allow you to unwind it within a few weeks if you don't like it.
  • Reply 89 of 91
    I think it's time I share my sob story about iOS 9 update. I own an iPhone 5c and had had no problems with it in over a year and a half of ownership until update 9.2.1. I noticed that my phone started turning itself on and off, my apps would freeze up forcing me to reboot the phone and my messaging would lock up my phone. Finally, the last straw was a white halo around the main screen before the device turned off for good. I took it to Apple to have it looked at and diagnosed. They admitted nothing was wrong with the phone and that it was most likely the software causing the issue, but instead of offering the fix the phone free of charge, they told me it was out of warranty. They even went so far as to tell me that Verizon was responsible for most likely selling me a refurbished iPhone under the guise of new and that it was Verizon's fault because since they lease out the refurbishing to a company not authorized to fix iPhone, they probably tampered with the software which led to the glitch. I am not buying any of this by they way. The store was at closing time and I believe the representative was trying to get me out of the store. It's a clear case of passing the buck with Apple. I am very disappointed. I will never buy another Apple product ever again. Apple has sadly lost the script when it comes to their shoddy technology.
  • Reply 90 of 91
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    jddc said:
    you could have downgraded back to iOS 8 before Apple stopped signing it - its not Apple's fault that you thought by putting a new engine in a 1964 VW, that it would perform as well as a new VW... get serious people
    You get serious. What happens when you have to restore an iPhone running an old OS which Apple has stopped signing?

Using your analogy, it's like limping into a garage in a 1964 bug with a bad spark plug. But instead of simply replacing the spark plug, the mechanic replaces the engine with one from a new VW, because he's out of spark plugs. It doesn't run as well as your old engine, and you can't go back to your old engine because you don't know how to install it and no one who does will do it for some reason.