Griffin preps MagSafe-like USB-C power adapter, Acer & Lenovo unveil USB-C monitors

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2016
On Monday, a trio of companies announced new gear suited to the USB-C port on the 12-inch Retina MacBook. Griffin revealed a MagSafe-like power adapter, while Acer and Lenovo teased compatible monitors.

Griffin's BreakSafe is designed to mimic the ability of MagSafe cables to quickly break away if a person trips or otherwise tugs on them. A magnetic connector plugs into the USB-C port, while an included 6-foot cable links to Apple's official USB-C charger.

The BreakSafe should ship in April for $39.99.

Acer's H7 series of monitors will come in 25- and 27-inch sizes, supporting resolutions up to 2560x1440. Relying on USB-C will allow MacBooks to not only upscale graphics but charge at the same time. The monitors are also equipped with built-in speakers, and extra ports for HDMI and conventional USB devices.

Acer is promising 100 percent coverage of the sRGB color gamut. Models should begin shipping in February, starting at $499.99.

ThinkVision X1
ThinkVision X1

Lenovo's planned entries are the ThinkVision X1 and X24 Pro. The latter is a 1080p monitor, but with built-in speakers, an Intel RealSense 3D camera, and Mini DisplayPort connections. It should ship in May for $399.

The X1 is a 27-inch display with resolutions up to 3840x2160. It's a 10-bit panel with 99 percent coverage of sRGB, and on top of USB-C offers HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.2 connections. It should also arrive in May, but for $799.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    I think Apple should have invented something like this, it makes a lot of sense and is coherent with the MacBook legacy
  • Reply 2 of 12
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    Just wondering how far Apple will go to embrace the new USB-C products that are being launched.  I can imagine Apple will quickly move to USB-C on all Macs, but what about iPads/iPhones.  Would it be nice to connect an external USB-C monitor to an iPad, or is it just me alone thinking about that?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I thought the generally accepted reason that we weren't seeing generic magnetic ports and connectors was because Apple owned patents on the implementation?  If Griffin can do this, then why couldn't magnetisation be part of the USB-C spec?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    cropr said:
    Just wondering how far Apple will go to embrace the new USB-C products that are being launched.  I can imagine Apple will quickly move to USB-C on all Macs, but what about iPads/iPhones.  Would it be nice to connect an external USB-C monitor to an iPad, or is it just me alone thinking about that?
    Apple still don't provide any kind of adapter so you can use the macbook (usb-c) with their own (thunderbolt / mini display port) monitors. I can buy for cheap a USB-C to mini display port adapter, it works fine except you cant charge macbook.
    if they decide to embrace USB-C on more products, they might want to offer suitable adapters, even if they a third party.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Apple still don't provide any kind of adapter so you can use the macbook (usb-c) with their own (thunderbolt / mini display port) monitors. I can buy for cheap a USB-C to mini display port adapter, it works fine except you cant charge macbook.
    if they decide to embrace USB-C on more products, they might want to offer suitable adapters, even if they a third party.
    I don't think Apple would be able to do a USB-C to Thunderbolt adaptor, so they probably wouldn't want to do a USB-C to mDP adaptor either, to save confusion.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    crowley said:
    I thought the generally accepted reason that we weren't seeing generic magnetic ports and connectors was because Apple owned patents on the implementation?  If Griffin can do this, then why couldn't magnetisation be part of the USB-C spec?
    Griffen may well have a license to do this. Besides, nobody would want a mag-safe connector for a USB-C connector that's going to be transferring data. It's fine to do something like this for charging a Mac via the USB-C port, but I wouldn't want somebody accidentally pulling out my cable while a data transfer were in progress, which can take hours depending on the size of the files being transferred. Also, I would think magnets and data shielding on such a delicate connector would be difficult to implement reliably. 
  • Reply 7 of 12
    crowley said:
    I don't think Apple would be able to do a USB-C to Thunderbolt adaptor, so they probably wouldn't want to do a USB-C to mDP adaptor either, to save confusion.
    cant think why it would be confusing, thunderbolt or mdp, it simply allows a macbook 12 to connect to Apple's own display. 
    Sadly I bought several 27 and 21 inch apple monitors for around the lab, thinking it would be future proof...
  • Reply 8 of 12
    crowley said:
    cant think why it would be confusing, thunderbolt or mdp, it simply allows a macbook 12 to connect to Apple's own display. 
    Sadly I bought several 27 and 21 inch apple monitors for around the lab, thinking it would be future proof...
    The adaptor would only work for the mDP LED monitor that Apple released, not the more recent Thunderbolt monitor.  If Apple released an adaptor that works for a monitor they haven't sold for some years, but doesn't work for the monitor they still sell and have been selling for four years, that could be confusing.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    mac_128 said:
    crowley said:
    Griffen may well have a license to do this. Besides, nobody would want a mag-safe connector for a USB-C connector that's going to be transferring data. It's fine to do something like this for charging a Mac via the USB-C port, but I wouldn't want somebody accidentally pulling out my cable while a data transfer were in progress, which can take hours depending on the size of the files being transferred. Also, I would think magnets and data shielding on such a delicate connector would be difficult to implement reliably. 
    You make a good point about the magnetic connectors on data ports. I frequently disconnect my MagSafe connector when resting my laptop on my legs. The connector will slightly twist and the connection is broken temporarily. But that said, I don't think that I would be connected to a large display or hard drive while also using my laptop on my lap. So I think this idea still has merit and value.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    When I see you that MagSafe,,I want to puke. Wake me up when it's 1-2mm protruding.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    What range do the speakers have?
    20-20,000Htz? Eiw. I hope they are decent and start at 5 or 6.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    mac_128 said:
    I wouldn't want somebody accidentally pulling out my cable while a data transfer were in progress, which can take hours depending on the size of the files being transferred. Also, I would think magnets and data shielding on such a delicate connector would be difficult to implement reliably. 
    Not disputing that interrupting a file transfer would be bad, but better than the laptop flying across the room when someone trips on the cord, and since Apple so thoughtfully only included one USB C port in the base MacBook, you're kinda stuck.