DJI launches Phantom 3 4K, bringing ultra high res video to $999 model

Posted:
in General Discussion
DJI on Monday launched the Phantom 3 4K, its first drone below the Phantom 3 Professional to support shooting at 4K resolution.

Through an extended Wi-Fi link, the drone can be controlled at ranges up to 3,937 feet (just under 0.75 miles), farther than the Phantom 3 Standard. Since it lacks DJI's Lightbridge system however, users get a 480p live stream, instead of the Professional's HD quality, which also extends out to 3.1 miles. Final recorded video is rendered at 4K resolution.

The Phantom 3 4K's main advantage is price, as it costs $999 -- $260 less than the Professional. Announced on Monday, it's already available to order direct from DJI, as well as through authorized resellers, including AppleInsider partner B&H Photo.

Inspire 1 Pro
Inspire 1 Pro

DJI has meanwhile released a black version of the Inspire 1 Pro. The Inspire series is aimed strictly towards professionals, with the Pro in particular having features like Lightbridge, a 16-megapixel micro four-thirds camera, and a dedicated remote. It costs $4,499.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Also, remember kids, now you have to register all of your quadrocopters with the Federal government and you'll probably be automatically added to a watch list. Happy New Year!
    edited January 2016 sockrolid
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Skip this one and go with the Advanced instead. Same price (usually less because it goes on sale often) but it comes with the LightBridge system instead of wifi, so range is effective triple. Yes the camera is lower resolution (2.7k vs 4k) but the signal much more reliable and 4K is only really going to matter to professionals anyway, who will be going for the Professional model at only 300 dollars more. The controller on the Advanced is night and day compared to the one that ships with this thing as well.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    AppleInsider said:
    ... It costs $4,499.
    I'd gladly pay, say, $50 for a jammer that causes quad copters to cut all power to their motors.
    Just for the sport of it.
    mac_dog
  • Reply 4 of 8
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    sockrolid said:
    AppleInsider said:
    ... It costs $4,499.
    I'd gladly pay, say, $50 for a jammer that causes quad copters to cut all power to their motors.
    Just for the sport of it.
    if you can find one, please let me know.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    Also, remember kids, now you have to register all of your quadrocopters with the Federal government and you'll probably be automatically added to a watch list. Happy New Year!
    ...which is free until January 20th and after that costs $5.  Not really a big deal...but remember to fly responsibly.!  These things are heavy enough and fast enough that they could cause serious damage to people or property if crashed into them.  Its also easy for new and inexperienced pilots to get confused as to drone orientation and lose control.  It's good advice to always maintain line of site with the drone even if you invest in an FPV system.
    Heres a link to the registration requirements:
    https://3drobotics.com/faa-drone-registration-rules/

I have the Phantom 3 Advanced (2.7k video) which is a lot of fun and can produce stunning, professional quality video footage and 12MP stills.  The image stabilization provided by the gimbal is amazing.  I highly recommend you pass on this non lightbridge 4K model and get one of the models with the lightbridge technology (the 2.7k Advanced or the 4K Professional).  

Here are 2 short videos I shot with the Phantom 3 Advanced after owning it for just a week.  (Adjust the YouTube video quality to 1080p for the best picture). The first is a flyover on the 8th hole of a golf course near me and the second is a video of my friends property using try DJI "point of interest" mode.  POI videos like this couldn't be easier to do!  You fly the drone directly over top of the center of the point of interest and get it to an altitude high enough to clear all trees and electrical wires then you hit a button.  You then fly the drone away from the point of interest and adjust the camera angle.  This sets the radius.  When you hit the button to confirm this, the drone automatically flys in circles around your point of interest while keeping the camera aimed at the center point.  An optional third step lets you specify the amount of time you want it to take to make a full circle (which sets the speed).  Don't take my word for it - check out the 2nd video below!  I should be getting a commission for selling these things!  (I'm not)

edited January 2016 icoco3
  • Reply 6 of 8
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    ...I was so hoping for waterproofing & obstacle avoidance on a lost signal rebound...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    I won't be registering mine.