The iPad (Apple PDA Animated Mockup)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This is my rendering of a Apple PDA. I drew it after being set off at Office Depo yesterday looking at pocket PCs. I think it is really stupid that they feel the need to put dozens of buttons on the front the there PDA. That is just rediculuse. I think a much better aproch would be to put no buttons on the front and do it all in software. This not only looks cooler it gives you about an inch of more of screen space in the same sized device, not to mention no moving parts. Then of course have built in Ink Well with support for drawing and text. On the side I put a little touch pad used to scroll up and down a page using the hand that dose not have the pen in it.

Click on the image to see a larger version as well as an animation of it in action.

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/michaelmatas/PhotoAlbum4.html"; target="_blank"></a>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Dude. Sweet!
  • Reply 1 of 27
    Strangly enough I get the feeling most people like to have buttons on their PDA's. Probably gives them the impression that they have more control. If Apple were to release a PDA I would think that the OS would be even more "icon" oriented than we are currently used to in OSX. Probably not a scaled down version of OSX but rather a much more &gt;list & icon&lt; version. Not so much a &gt;desktop&lt;-style OS.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by seedyjudgements:

<strong>Strangly enough I get the feeling most people like to have buttons on their PDA's. Probably gives them the impression that they have more control. If Apple were to release a PDA I would think that the OS would be even more "icon" oriented than we are currently used to in OSX. Probably not a scaled down version of OSX but rather a much more &gt;list & icon&lt; version. Not so much a &gt;desktop&lt;-style OS.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The one thing I dislike about the newton 2100 is that there are no buttons. Why, you ask? Well, it's nice not to have to use two hands to get my schedule from my notes, etc. Just press the right button and I'm there. With the newton, I have to take out the stylus to get there. One handed operation is not possible without some buttons. I'd trade the extra screen realestate for the convenience.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>

The one thing I dislike about the newton 2100 is that there are no buttons. Why, you ask? Well, it's nice not to have to use two hands to get my schedule from my notes, etc. Just press the right button and I'm there. With the newton, I have to take out the stylus to get there. One handed operation is not possible without some buttons. I'd trade the extra screen realestate for the convenience.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You could always press the screen with your fingers.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    I like it for the very reason that it doesn't have buttons or a Graffiti area. It's a "pure" display. As for turning it on or off, a recessed button on the edge would do fine.

Screed ...mind you, a 10"-12" diagonal tablet would be the ultimate but I fear it would have crushing price.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I'm with torifile.

I loved my Newton 2100. The only thing I like about the Palm is the buttons. Very easy to do one handed. They still could function better however. For instance, you can scroll to a contact with the buttons but once you want to see the entire card for that contact you have to either poke at the screen (finger is too fat) or use the stylus.

That mock up does look sweet however.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by Michaelm8000:

<strong>

You could always press the screen with your fingers.</strong><hr></blockquote>

NOOOOOO!!!!! Michael, while I'd love to meet you in person, you're never coming near my powerbook if you touch screens with your hands! That's one of my pet peeves. Screens are not meant to be touched with oily, dirty fingers. Especially one that is going to be as beautiful as an Apple PDA.
  • Reply 8 of 27

<strong>

NOOOOOO!!!!! Michael, while I'd love to meet you in person, you're never coming near my powerbook if you touch screens with your hands! That's one of my pet peeves. Screens are not meant to be touched with oily, dirty fingers. Especially one that is going to be as beautiful as an Apple PDA.</strong><hr></blockquote>

THis PDA has a sheet of plastic covering the display from edge to edge. This way touching the screen is just like touching your iPod. Smudges will wipe right off.
  • Reply 9 of 27

<strong>

The one thing I dislike about the newton 2100 is that there are no buttons. Why, you ask? Well, it's nice not to have to use two hands to get my schedule from my notes, etc. Just press the right button and I'm there. With the newton, I have to take out the stylus to get there. One handed operation is not possible without some buttons. I'd trade the extra screen realestate for the convenience.</strong><hr></blockquote>

i disliked that about my newton as well. but it would be cool if there was a scroll wheel with button press action on the side like a sony treo. those are cool and the control is very intuitive. hmm. who else makes a device with a scroll wheel and a button as the main input devices...?
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Wow Michael your site has some truly sweet stuff on it. Very nice designs. I would LOVE that iCam!
  • Reply 11 of 27
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    That's a very nice design! However, I do have to echo the sentiment that buttons are a necessary evil for any handheld. At the very least, you need one for the Address Book, one for calendar software, one for TextEdit, and one for 'other' programs (Mail, IE, or something else). Of course, they could easily be adjusted with preferences to run whatever app you wanted.

But, they really are important. Speed and convenience are key to a handheld, so you need to be able to bring up, say, your Address Book, scroll through it to find a phone number, and then put the unit away. Which brings me to the next requirement: a jog wheel.

Though it's relatively new to handhelds, you would not believe just how useful these are! Think of it like the scroll wheel on many mice... instead of tapping on the scroll bars of a screen or dragging the slider, you just use your thumb on the dial to scroll through emails, or contacts. Many also now support clicking, which would let you scroll through, say, a list of files in a folder and then click it to open the desired one. Then the jog dial lets you scroll through the file.

Plus, you have to get data in and out somehow. And unless you're building an Airport circuit into it (not a bad idea, and it's been done with the Toshiba e740), you'll need some kind of connector to the Mac. Probably a USB port, which would make it easy to hook up mice, keyboards, etc. in the future.

Hope that made sense. I like your overall design, but a few realistic changes would need to be made before such a concept would really be viable.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    voice commands

dont need any hands except to hold the thing
  • Reply 13 of 27
    macjedaimacjedai Posts: 263member
    [quote]Originally posted by Kesh:

<strong>[snip] Which brings me to the next requirement: a jog wheel.

Though it's relatively new to handhelds, you would not believe just how useful these are! Think of it like the scroll wheel on many mice... instead of tapping on the scroll bars of a screen or dragging the slider, you just use your thumb on the dial to scroll through emails, or contacts. Many also now support clicking, which would let you scroll through, say, a list of files in a folder and then click it to open the desired one. Then the jog dial lets you scroll through the file.[snip]

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just tossing some gasoline onto the fire, What do you people think of the possibility of putting a "jog wheel" (ala iPod) on the back of this iPad, so that screen realestate can be maximized, and overall size kept at a minimum? Still one-handed operation for some tasks ...
  • Reply 14 of 27
    nitridenitride Posts: 100member
    Keep making mockups. When Apple comes to take it down you know you got it right.

I personally feel it will be landscape oriented rather than vertical.

Besides shape/size I think the biggest challenge is battery life. Batteries simply have not evolved as fast as computers and electronics in general. Batteries are still very bulky, clumsy and modestly powerful with a very limited lifespan. Once a perpetually rechargeable high power-density lightweight moldable battery is invented portable electronics are very limited (beyond Li-Polymer).
  • Reply 15 of 27
    yurin8oryurin8or Posts: 120member
    non-software buttons suck
  • Reply 16 of 27
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    [quote]Originally posted by Aussie John:

<strong>voice commands

dont need any hands except to hold the thing</strong><hr></blockquote>

Unfortunately, voice is useless on a handheld. Heck, it's not even very accurate on desktops with a headset... now imagine trying to give voice commands on an airplane, or in a busy office environment. Not going to happen.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Got to have buttons so you can play DOOM on it.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    biggy234biggy234 Posts: 6member
    Very nice!

What about a "drawer" at the short end? The drawer would be half the hight of the iPad and go out 3-4 cm. On top of the drawer you could have like five buttons or so. (That way you could eat the apple cake and have it too! )

/biggy
  • Reply 19 of 27
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    just need a half inch around the edge of the whole thing so you have someplace to grab.

and if there is plastic covering the screen like in the ipod, how do you input to the device? can't be touch sensitive, can it? optical?
  • Reply 20 of 27
    [quote]Originally posted by bunge:

<strong>Got to have buttons so you can play DOOM on it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Of course there could be something to say for giving a double meaning to "double tap"