Apple's Eddy Cue among speakers at private CES event for Rupert Murdoch

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2020
Eddy Cue, Apple's head of Internet Software and Services, is reportedly among a select group of people attending a private CES event being hosted by News Corp. chairman Rupert Murdoch.
The event -- scheduled for Jan. 6 and 7 -- is being hosted in Murdoch's Las Vegas hotel suite, sources told Quartz. Its existence was confirmed by a News Corp. spokesperson. Other speakers in attendance are said to include Google CEO Sundar Pichai, Slack CEO Stewart Butterfield, Snapchat founder Evan Spiegel, actress/entrepreneur Jessica Alba, and analysts/venture capitalists Benedict Evans and Mary Meeker. Murdoch is allegedly being joined by top brass from both News Corp. and 21st Century Fox, which was split off from News Corp. in 2012. No word on topics has emerged, but Murdoch and his executives are presumably interested in keeping up with tech trends, and exploiting the fact that so many in the industry are gathered in the same city. Apple sells a great deal of Fox/News Corp. content on iTunes and the App Store, and the latter companies have shown a deep interest in developing for iOS devices. News Corp. for instance developed The Daily, the first iPad publication with in-app subscriptions, though that effort ultimately collapsed due to lack of interest. Cue might also want to push the new Apple TV, which Apple has marketed as "the future of television" in its support for apps. The set-top needs support from as many providers as possible in order to succeed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    What for?
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Murdoch is the most evil billionaire. 
    bloggerblog
  • Reply 3 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Murdoch is ugly from the inside out.
    bloggerblog
  • Reply 4 of 17
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    ireland said:
    Murdoch is ugly from the inside out.
    The guy is 150, what do you expect. 
  • Reply 5 of 17
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    not familiar with the Koch family, I take it?
    anton zuykovcornchip
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Think what you want of Rupert Murdoch, but he controls one of the world's largest media companies and Apple would be foolish to ignore (or antagonize) him...
  • Reply 7 of 17
    karmadave said:
    Think what you want of Rupert Murdoch, but he controls one of the world's largest media companies and Apple would be foolish to ignore (or antagonize) him...
    Nah, kissing someone's ass just because they are rich or influential is actually a really bad thing to do.  Quintessentially corrupt in fact. 

Apple should have refused to attend IMO, just for the optics alone, although no one really cares about doing the "right thing" much anymore (case in point: you).  
    canukstormmontrosemacs
  • Reply 8 of 17
    sumergosumergo Posts: 215member
    karmadave said:
    I agree with everyone who has said anything negative about Rupert Murdoch on this thread.
    News Corp is a major supplier of content, so the fact that Apple is fondling them is no surprise, just sad capitalism - pay the $5, turn the trick.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    sumergosumergo Posts: 215member
    karmadave said:
    Nah, kissing someone's ass just because they are rich or influential is actually a really bad thing to do.  Quintessentially corrupt in fact. 

Apple should have refused to attend IMO, just for the optics alone, although no one really cares about doing the "right thing" much anymore (case in point: you).  
    Absolutely Apple should have refused from an ethical point of view.
    Trouble is: all tech companies needing news and other content, are not in the business of providing it for themselves - they have to rely on bottom-feeder corporations like "the dirty digger's" News Corp.
    What should we do?  Not buy Apple products because the company goes along with the ethically-questionable rules of the capitalist system?
    cornchip
  • Reply 10 of 17
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    karmadave said:

Similarly, one can argue that Apple shouldn't do business in or with China or other oppressive countries or with any number of billionaires people don't like....  ....and willing to bet that lots of the soap-boxing commenters above assuming the mantle of righteousness "do business with" the Fox groups of industries.... ....via consuming their TV shows, movies, etc.

So if most of you all truck with them (and I've certainly consumed plenty of Simpsons and many other entertainments produced and marketed under their umbrella), why shouldn't Apple? 

This is business.   Dollars to donuts, Al Gore isn't going to quit Apple's Board over this (if he's still on it) or even throw a hissy fit....
    edited January 2016 cornchipSpamSandwich
  • Reply 11 of 17
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Nintendo had this bad ass gaming social media platform that they killed called Miiverse.
    Once I say this post:

"What dose the fox say?!"

Reply:

"Whatever Rupert Murdock tells it to say."

L O L!!!!! :D
    hill60
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Brutal Murdoch is evil and linking apple and him..... Apple is loosing credit
  • Reply 13 of 17
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Business but I don't see the "tech"

http://www.wsj.com/articles/BL-VCDB-15328
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Settle everyone. This "event" occurs every year like clockwork and is Murdoch's way of keeping abreast of all the developments at CES and the tech industry in general. He knows enough to know that tech is going to subsume News Corp unless it becomes a radically different company. Don't get me wrong, I'm no Murdophile, but I fail to see anything in this that is outrageous, immoral or even particularly interesting. 

"Aging billionaire hosts leaders of industry when all are in same town scandal!!!"
  • Reply 15 of 17
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    quinney said:
    not familiar with the Koch family, I take it?
    Or Soros?
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 16 of 17
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    I'm no fan of Rupert, but if Apple were not to meet with any company who had some ethical failings, they wouldn't be meeting with anyone, including themselves. Each of you buy from unethical companies every single day. Would you like to see Apple TV drop all availability of Fox programming (including Star Wars)?