Antutu: iPhone 6s performance thrashes high-spec Androids Huawei Mate 8, Samsung Note 5 & Nexus 6p

Posted:
in iPhone
Performance benchmark vendor Antutu presented iPhone 6s as the best performing smartphone of the year, despite being compared against high end Androids with more RAM and faster CPU clocks driving four times as many cores.

Source: Antutu

The company added Apple to its annual Performance Ranking Report for the first time this year, following the cross platform release of its Antutu 6.0 benchmark in 2015.

iPhone 6s, powered by Apple's custom dual core A9 chip with 2GB of RAM, debuted with a score 41 percent higher than the next fastest phone, Huawei's Mate 8, a phone that uses Huawei's internally designed octa-core Kirin 950 with 3 or 4GB of RAM (Antutu didn't specify which model it tested).

Apple's flagship score was 59 percent faster than Samsung's best ranking model, the Galaxy Note 5, a fablet powered by a higher-clocked Samsung Exynos 7420 Octa chip with 4GB of RAM.

iPhone 6s also scored 69 percent better than the Google-branded Nexus 6p, which uses a Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 octa-core chip and 3GB or RAM.

Apple advancing its 64-bit lead through profitability

Since delivering its first generation 64-bit A7 powering iPhone 5s in 2013, Apple has remained ahead of more experienced mobile chipmakers in both performance and energy efficiency. Qualcomm, once a differentiated leader in mobile chips, struggled to deliver its first 64-bit chip last year, contributing to problems for Android licensees using its chips, including Xiaomi.

Qualcomm's missteps have also forced smartphone makers to develop their own chips, as Samsung, LG and Huawei have, albeit based largely upon generic designs drafted by ARM.

However, iOS also continues to be more efficient than Android in delivering performance from available hardware resources, and doing so with less RAM. Less installed system RAM helps contribute to longer battery life.

It also results in a device that's less expensive to build, contributing to overall profitability. Those profits are driving Apple to invest in advanced custom processor design, even as its rivals continue to largely use off the shelf core designs published by ARM in an effort to keep prices low.

Rather than being a "halo" high-end model, Apple's fastest iPhone models make up the vast majority of its sales, contributing to an iPhone Average Selling Price of $670. Other vendors of high end Androids primarily sell low end or mid grade budget smartphones, resulting in an ASP for Android closer to $250.

That perpetuates a cycle of profitably for Apple, while driving premium buyers to iOS. Apple has benefitted from a regular influx of switchers, with its chief executive Tim Cook noting in September that switchers from Android had reached 30 percent of its sales.

Cheating didn't win

Antutu's benchmarks are so closely watched by enthusiasts that in previous years, Samsung and other companies have deliberately worked to cheat the company's benchmarks to achieve a phony ranking, simply for bragging rights.

In 2013, Antutu changed its benchmarks specifically to block cheating, after Samsung along with Asus, HTC and LG, were repeatedly caught fudging their performance rankings.

"With the exception of Apple and [Google subsiderary] Motorola," AnandTech observed, "literally every single OEM we've worked with ships (or has shipped) at least one device" that has cheated in benchmarks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    I hate Antutu and don't consider them a reliable benchmark.

However, to all the Android users who love to throw Antutu results around like they're gospel, well this has got to sting. As in Japanese Giant Hornet sting.
    jbdragonflashfan207calicornchip
  • Reply 2 of 33
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I never even heard of Antutu until today.      I still have to wonder why performance benchmarks are so important to people.   The only thing that really counts is if a platform continues to get better with each new release.   Why anybody on an Apple platform would care about Android is beyond me.   The reverse is also true, why would anybody running Android care about the performance of an iPhone.    This especially with respect to cell phones when most people will upgrade every two years or so when all ne hardware will have replaced their current hardware.   
  • Reply 3 of 33
    I love all the android uses who taunt their specs and laugh at apple's. it's not how big it is, it's how you use it.
    quadra 6106Sgoldfishjes42lostkiwijbdragonflashfan207caliredgeminipa
  • Reply 4 of 33

Why do you hate them (I don't know much about them myself)? They seem to be just a quasi-analsys group pushing benchmark data.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 5 of 33
    I do think it is important to understand the benchmark numbers. It shows Apple has a huge lead with chip performance and efficiency. This will help Apple deliver the best customer experience. It also is important for developers who want to push the limits of their apps. The fact that Apple is paying attention to the details is important for all users.
    bobschloblostkiwijbdragoncaliredgeminipa
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Awesome! Now I can answer my phone calls 6x faster! Apple, you're the best!
    edited January 2016 freshmakerlostkiwi
  • Reply 7 of 33
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    The Samsung Exynos 8890 that will be in the S7 in Feb. looks like it will be quite rapid.

edited January 2016
  • Reply 8 of 33
    cnocbui said:
    The Samsung Exynos 8890 that will be in the S7 in Feb. looks like it will be quite rapid.

No. According to Samsung themselves, the 8890 will be "up to 30% faster than the 7420 and 10% more power efficient".

Sorry, but your bogus charts of made-up numbers don't mean squat. I'll take Samsung's official statements about the 8890 instead.

The 8890 is also still only a 3-wide design (Apple A7-9 are all 6 wide). They're going to have to crank the clock way up AND add cores to even begin to catch the A9.

Oh, and the Geekbench numbers on your chart are also wrong. Primate Labs lists the 7420 at 1340/4512. This chart shows them at 1485/5129. Already inflated. Interesting, though, that your chart lists the "correct" Primate Labs figures for the Apple A9. Curious why they chose to do that. Never mind, not curious at all. With the rampant cheating on the Android side it only makes sense they used some one-off test figures for the 7420, instead of the thousands of aggregated tests that Primate Labs based their numbers on.
    edited January 2016 lostkiwijbdragonwilliamlondongtrpscooter63Rayz2016redgeminipa
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Oh well. The fact remains that Android gobbles up 2x the RAM & CPU to deliver lower benchmarks despite cheating. :blush: 

chiaAustinCablelostkiwijbdragonmacky the mackyredgeminipa
  • Reply 10 of 33

Why do you hate them (I don't know much about them myself)? They seem to be just a quasi-analsys group pushing benchmark data.

They are unreliable. And there have been lots of questions about how much weight they give certain results over others before they release their "final" score. Back when the iPhone 6S came out it scored 59000 while the 6 score 46000. Now they are showing 80000 and 132000? Not only are the scores completely different (changed their methodology again), but the RATIOS are different.

Now what happens when people are trying to compare results and they look at results before and after Antutu did their "update". Makes things much more confusing. Further, are the current scores more accurate? Or were the previous scores more accurate?
    gatorguysingularity
  • Reply 11 of 33
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    cnocbui said:

Right... Seems... Until it throtttles 20 minutes in (or before)... Then kills the battery.
    Stop lying and stop peddling fantasies.

Why are you here? You presence here makes no sense, unless your fracking trolling.

edited January 2016 ericthehalfbeelostkiwiwilliamlondonredgeminipa
  • Reply 12 of 33
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

Because haters hate. That's what they do.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

Considering how it's been in the last few years.... This fall is when irremediably fall behind in performance. They're already 1 year behind in their high end phones.
    jbdragoncornchipredgeminipa
  • Reply 14 of 33
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    wizard69 said:
    I never even heard of Antutu until today.      I still have to wonder why performance benchmarks are so important to people.   The only thing that really counts is if a platform continues to get better with each new release.   Why anybody on an Apple platform would care about Android is beyond me.   The reverse is also true, why would anybody running Android care about the performance of an iPhone.    This especially with respect to cell phones when most people will upgrade every two years or so when all ne hardware will have replaced their current hardware.   

To iPhone users, the benchmarks don't matter.  They already know iPhones are just better to work with.

To the Android-loving fanboy miscreants... the a$$holes that continue to this day to spout of nonsense about Android being superior because it has "better specs", well... as it has been for every iPhone vs. AndroidShit comparison since day one... this just proves the same tired result.  iPhone can run rings around Android with lower "specs" than Android with ridiculous hardware that struggles.

Let's see what excuses they fabricate now... again...
    lostkiwijbdragoncalicornchipredgeminipa
  • Reply 15 of 33
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Looking forward to seeing what Apple's chip design team can do to incorporate more functions into is custom silicon (e.g. baseband functions) that should further reduce volume & improve efficiency/performance.
    williamlondoncaliredgeminipa
  • Reply 16 of 33
    sflocal said:
    wizard69 said:

To iPhone users, the benchmarks don't matter.  They already know iPhones are just better to work with.

I'm an iPhone user and I think benchmarks matter. They give a good idea as to the capabilities of a company (like Apples processor engineers). They're also a great way to measure progress from generation to generation.

To Android users the benchmarks only matter if one of their preferred devices gets a better score (usually in one cherry-picked result). When the iPhone is better (which is most of the time) then benchmarks suddenly don't count. Or they're not directly comparable across different OS versions. Or they're not comparable across different processor architectures (Intel guys or Apple haters who refuse to believe the A9X is challenging Intel for performance in mobile processors). Or Geekbench is optimized for iOS vs Android.
    jbdragonwilliamlondoncaliredgeminipa
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Anything that emasculates spec whores puts a smile on my face.
    calimacky the mackybestkeptsecretredgeminipa
  • Reply 18 of 33
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    None of this matters. Samsung's benchmarks were considered amazing in 2015 and that is one of the worst performing phones I've ever owned. The iPhone 5c is a better  experience. The Nexus 6P is bottom of the benchmarks but its the fastest and most fluid Android phone I've ever used.

The Android side is so full of disastrous UI tweaks by vendors that benchmarking is such a frivolous thing. Apple doesn't even need a faster CPU to deliver superior performance to almost any Android phone. I'm actually certain at this point the iOS animations are probably the bottleneck and has been for a processor generation or two.
    calicornchip
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Being an Android user, these benchmarks don't always show the full story. Despite this making Androids look bad, in the real world, both are still gonna be freaking smooth so there's no use in comparing "Phone A has a new quadrillion core snapdragon 1081 and Phone B has a bazillion snapdragon 1082".. TLDR : Get what you PREFER. The truth is that it's not about which is faster in benchmarks, it's about what you like. To those other ignorant android fanboys out there, stop fucking going "This new chip is gonna win the new IPhoneX". Android, being Java based is gonna be more open and have more features but Java is a ram intensive platform. IOS is unix based which is more optimised at the extent of less compatibility. And the Mate 8 actually wins the IP6S on SOME crucial areas but it's lackluster gpu was kinda meh.
    singularity
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Real life performance is what really matters. Apple have a very limited number of hardware combinations to support so can tune the os to get maximum performance. Android has to support thousands of hardware combinations. Apple can't even provide an os upgrade, on limited hardware, without messing up simple things like the built in alarm clock! I know which I'd rather back...
    singularity