Apple updates GarageBand for iOS with Live Loops, inspired by DJ hardware controllers & drum machin

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2016
Apple on Wednesday launched GarageBand 2.1 for iOS, introducing a new feature called Live Loops which aims to make it easy for anyone to create music like a live DJ, and also adding hardware-specific support for the iPad Pro and 3D Touch on the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus.

Inspired by DJ hardware controllers and Drum Machines, Live Loops allows users to simply tap cells and columns in a highly visual grid to trigger different looped instruments and samples.

These loops can be performed, arranged, and remixed live, and GarageBand will automatically keep all of the beats in sync with perfect time and pitch.

Bundled with GarageBand 2.1 are a library of Apple-designed loop templates in a variety of genres. They include EDM, hip-hop, dubstep and rock, or users can create their own loops from scratch.

GarageBand 2.1 also boasts a new feature called Drummer, which features nine EDM and acoustic virtual session drummers that provide their own signature sound, as well as an expanded selection of amps for bass players.

Advanced GarageBand users can also create even more dynamic and polished sounding songs using new automation features, controls recording, and a new simple EQ.

GarageBand 2.1 is also specifically designed for the 12.9-inch Retina display on Apple's jumbo-sized iPad Pro. Taking advantage of the additional real estate, the app offers users even more controls and room to work with.

On the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, GarageBand adds support for 3D Touch, allowing users to play with more expression.

GarageBand for iOS can be purchased through the iOS App Store for $4.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Mr_Grey said:
    Isn't it a bit much to put an incremental point upgrade of an app that sees limited use, under a red "Breaking News!" header?  
    Limited use? Not for musicians, both amateur and professional.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    If I compose something in GarageBand and use any of Apple's prebuilt content (perscussion or any other instrument), does Apple retain IP rights to any portion of my composition?

The answer must be "no", but it's worth asking since -- technically -- the content did come from someone other than me (Apple) and they could legitimately claim that I am profiting in part from something they created.

If you're a lawyer or musician and know the answer, please pipe up!

• Reply 3 of 5
    If I compose something in GarageBand and use any of Apple's prebuilt content (perscussion or any other instrument), does Apple retain IP rights to any portion of my composition?

The answer must be "no", but it's worth asking since -- technically -- the content did come from someone other than me (Apple) and they could legitimately claim that I am profiting in part from something they created.

If you're a lawyer or musician and know the answer, please pipe up!

My understanding is you have a free license to use all Apple loops and sound beds. I try to avoid their loops in general, simply because they sound so generic.
    edited January 2016 slprescott
  • Reply 4 of 5
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    Mr_Grey said:
    Isn't it a bit much to put an incremental point upgrade of an app that sees limited use, under a red "Breaking News!" header?  
    Speak for yourself but in my circle of mates, it's used universally for on the go stuff but I've not seen it reported elsewhere so..yes...breaking news...until it's not.  :)
  • Reply 5 of 5
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    The new GarageBand is incredible...
    argonaut