MacBook Pro fan goes crazy until I open up Activity Monitor, then it stops suddenly. WTF?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
I have a 2009 MacBook Pro, current on all OS and updates. SSD, max RAM, new battery.

I will leave my laptop plugged in and go do some stuff around the house.  Later, I hear the fan BLAZING. I go over and instantly open Activity Monitor.  The fan stops about 20 seconds after.  WTF??  Does some app know when I hear the fan and also know when I open Activity Monitor and then shut down? This is not a coincidence.  I repeated this same process 5 times before posting. 

I see "Windows Server" go from the top process to the bottom, but I also see Activity Monitor as the top process.  

I have no clue what's going on.  As soon as I heard the fan tonight, opened Activity Monitor, the fan stopped, found AI Forum, typed this message, still no fan. 

??????

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    HegsHegs Posts: 1member
    Just found your post. Bit late perhaps, only 2 1/2 years, but I have the same thing and cannot find any post anywhere about this. If I were to write monitoring code I would do exactly this.

Have you found anything since 2016?