what is missing from OS X

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am planning on switching to OS X within a month.... what will I be missingif I switch... what are the downsides to using X rather then 9 other then speed?

any major apps still not work natively?

What hardware incompatibilities should I expect?

TIA

Edit: I use a G3 400Mhx imac for the moment, soon to be a 17" iMac... and eventually a PB when they get updated (how is the battery life?)

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: Paul ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    There isn't much missing now, especially when you get the Jagwire update.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Starting about last September (2001), I used OS X on my 400MHz iMac DV and never had a problem or felt "bogged down".

Used it exclusively up until mid-March of this year, when I bought a SuperDrive LCD iMac and have yet to launch Classic or boot into OS 9. Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, SnapzPro, AppleWorks, iTunes, LimeWire, Suitcase, etc.

Couldn't be happier.

And, like graphiteman said, will probably only be better (quicker, MORE full-featured, etc.) with Jaguar.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    The only two problems right now (NOW) are audio and publishing

On audio. ProTool for X is coming in fall and Logic is already "here".....MOTU releases the driver for their device (?).....blah blah blah....so it's not too much a big problem

On the publishing side. The only hole is QuarkXpress. But who fu*king cares.

Have been using OS X full time since Illustrator 10 ran on my machine. 98% of apps (Illustrator, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash, Final Cut Pro, After Effects, Media Cleaner, Toast, Stuffit Deluxe, Painter, Cinema 4D, BodyPaint...etc...etc) I am using right now are OS X native. The only app I use that's not native is SoundEdit 16.

Hope Jaguar could speed things up a little

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    [quote] The only app I use that's not native is SoundEdit 16.

<hr></blockquote>

Have you tried Spark 2.51 from TC Works?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    Director isn't on X yet, but it's likely you don't use that. It's the major thing holding me back. (That and the fact that I'm running a 266mHz beige G3)