Apple captured 21% of smartphone processors, 31% of tablet CPUs in 2015

Posted:
in iPhone
Although the smartphone and tablet processor markets actually declined year-over-year in 2015, Apple managed to capture large shares of both in 2015 simply manufacturing for its own devices, Strategy Analytics said in data released on Friday.

Apple reportedly controlled 21 percent of the smartphone processor market, which shrank 4 percent to $20.1 billion. That slotted the company in between Qualcomm's 42 percent -- down 10 points -- and MediaTek's 19 percent.

Qualcomm's Snapdragon processors are used in a large number of smartphones, but the company faced tougher competition in 2015, including some from Samsung which managed to double processor shipments. Intel actually managed 66 percent growth, but still claimed just a 1 percent unit share.

Strategy Analytics noted that 64-bit chips represented a little over half of smartphone processor shipments, and that Qualcomm overtook Apple in this field, presumably owing to the growing prevalence of phone makers wanting the technology. When Apple launched its first 64-bit processor -- 2013's dual-core A7, introduced alongside the iPhone 5s -- it was also the first 64-bit ARM-based chip to ship in a phone. Others were still 32-bit and often relied on having four or more cores to boost processing power.

In the tablet realm Apple was by far the market leader in 2015 at 31 percent, reflecting the continued dominance of the iPad. Qualcomm ranked second at 16 percent, while Intel was third with 14 percent, not far ahead of MediaTek. The market as a whole contracted 33 percent to $2.7 billion however, marking the first annual decline for tablet chips.

Strategy Analytics blamed the issue on the popularity of phablets, like Apple's "Plus" iPhones, as well as factors like long tablet replacement cycles. Indeed analysts have linked the iPad's sales decline in the past several quarters to the same causes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    It was really amusing to hear how the other companies claimed Apple's 64-bit processor was a useless gimmick in a smartphone when it was introduced and now they're all using them. Wall Street definitely scoffed at Apple for trying to sell worthless tech to consumers. I'm rather certain no matter what Apple introduces in terms of new tech it will be called useless and lacking in innovation. The anti-Apple conspiracy will continue and I hope someone at Apple will be able to stop all this ridiculous talk about Apple not being able to innovate.
    hydrogenquadra 610cornchipkevin kee
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    It was really amusing to hear how the other companies claimed Apple's 64-bit processor was a useless gimmick in a smartphone when it was introduced and now they're all using them. Wall Street definitely scoffed at Apple for trying to sell worthless tech to consumers. I'm rather certain no matter what Apple introduces in terms of new tech it will be called useless and lacking in innovation. The anti-Apple conspiracy will continue and I hope someone at Apple will be able to stop all this ridiculous talk about Apple not being able to innovate.
    If you want to know what’s coming next, stick with Apple. AI trolls look more and more foolish when they pontificate about Android or others having had some feature years ago. It takes Apple to make those features useable and popular. The fake techie wannabes who make these claims are blathering nincompoops.
    quadra 610cornchipkevin kee
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Apples 64-bit ARM chips have significant potential other than mobile!

For example inexpensive, reliable (no moving parts), power-sipping distributed servers.

For example, the AppleTV 4 uses 2.1 Watts (4.0 Max).  This is a fraction of the power used by an x86 server.

Several NoSQL dbs have been ported to run on raspberryPis.

I suspect that Apple could increase capacity, reliability and reduce power/heat-dissipation costs of its server farms -- by replacing Intel-based servers with Apple Ax-based servers.

This could have been one major reason why Apple acquired FoundationDB ...

edited February 2016 nostrathomascornchipkevin kee
  • Reply 4 of 5
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    The worthless technology is the 64bit processor in an android phone which does not have an OS which support it let alone any apps. Apple last year said they would not accept any new apps into the store unless it supports the new architecture. Android phone is like owning a drag racer with street tires on it, all this power and no way to get it to the pavement.
    edited February 2016 [Deleted User]nostrathomascornchipkevin kee