Apple Music, Sonos tout partnership with all-star 'music makes it home' TV spot

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited February 2016
With Apple Music finally available on Sonos's connected speaker systems, the two firms are working together to get the word out with a new television ad featuring Killer Mike, The National's Matt Berninger, and St. Vincent.

Throughout the minute-long spot -- which debuted during Monday night's Grammy Awards -- the stars take turns extolling music's ability to liven up a home. Killer Mike thinks that a home without music feels "dead"; Berninger says a silent space "doesn't feel like a creative place."

"Turning on music in your house is almost like turning on the lights in your house," St. Vincent adds.

"Silence is the enemy of a happy home."
Well said @killermike. @AppleMusic, now on @Sonos.https://t.co/mjLmIi8T1whttps://t.co/5K3T3aZQPT

-- Apple Music (@AppleMusic)

The voiceovers are accompanied by scenes of the performers and their families having fun, unsurprisingly, at home. Mura Masa's When U Need Me backs the second half of the spot.

Apple is ordinarily loathe to share its spotlight with other brands, making this a somewhat unusual marketing collaboration. It remains to be seen whether this marks a turning point in Apple's advertising strategy or is simply a one-off joint effort between complementary products.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Big implications here, hidden for now...
    By that, I mean the next series of adverts will inevitably show the obligatory celebrity or two coming home and using Siri in every room via Sonos, in unusually cool ways.
    And by the time it ships, Siri will be waiting with some very catty responses to "Alexa..." just to ram the point home.
    Geddit now?
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 2 of 9
    So they totally gave up in AirPlay... Bummer :(
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Big implications here, hidden for now...
    By that, I mean the next series of adverts will inevitably show the obligatory celebrity or two coming home and using Siri in every room via Sonos, in unusually cool ways.
    And by the time it ships, Siri will be waiting with some very catty responses to "Alexa..." just to ram the point home.
    Geddit now?
    Clever idea. I've been wondering for a while if Sonos was a good acquisition target for Apple. And with Apple's latest mantra on embracing Android...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Apple sure knows how to make one beautiful promo. Made me smile. :)
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Money is on Apple buying Sonos..
  • Reply 6 of 9
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    Money is on Apple buying Sonos..
    I'll take that bet.  Apple has Beats.  Beats makes speakers, and Beats won't need to license AirPlay.  Also, for the rather intriguing Siri idea, Sonos needs microphones in their speakers first.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 7 of 9
    We play Apple Music at home over our Sonos speakers. It's great! But we don't jump up in the air and dance around nearly as much as the people in this video. Got to work on that. (Although my wife did burst into song when one of her favorite oldies came on yesterday. That's something, at least.)
  • Reply 8 of 9
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Surprised with all this collaboration that Sono's does not work with Siri or homekit. Why cant I have siri turn on sonos in my living room and play a playlist?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Airplay has been a glitchy and fussy mess over the years. I've had three wireless speaker systems with Airplay (Harman Kardon, Boston Acoustics, and Libratone) With iPhone 5, 5S, 6, and 6S, and iPad Mini 2 & 4, iPad 2 & Air and Airport Extreme Base Stations (4th and 6th gen) and iOS 7, 8, & 9 the connection has been completely unreliable.

From my experience, audio Airplay just isn't a quality priority for Apple and 3rd party manufacturers.

I just bought 2 pairs of pricey Sonos PLAY:1 speakers a couple weeks ago and it's been rock solid all day, all night. Sounds amazing. Never skips or drops note.
    edited February 2016 booboo