Buy from mail order outfit or Apple Retail Location?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm trying to decide between buying my new iBook from one of the mail order outfits (as yet undecided) or driving up north a bit and buying it from Buffalo's Apple Store. Right now I'm thinking mail order all the way. No tax and discounts or freebies thrown in adds up to about $200.

Besides walking out the door with the goods, I can't think of any benefit to buying from an Apple Store. Do you get better warranty service? "Just bring it in and we'll take care of it." Wouldn't I get that even if I didn't buy my Mac there? There's got to be something I'm missing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    I don't really see a reason not to buy from a mail order place, if you can save on taxes and get freebies thrown in. I bought an iBook from Amazon several weeks ago and got a $200 promo certificate to use for a future purchase, which I thought was great. It looks like right now Amazon's giving a flat $100 discount on all notebooks until the end of the week, so you could save $100 on the iBook and not pay for tax or shipping. I think you can also get the Epson printer promo as well, which is pretty decent.

I'd imagine that Apple stores would give the same service to everyone as long as it's under warranty, no matter where it was bought. Then again, I've never been to an Appple store yet (still waiting for the Orlando store in a couple months), so I have no clue. Think about it this way though... if you save $200 by not buying it directly, and you find that the service isn't good for some reason, you can always purchase the Applecare extended warranty, which is $250 I think.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    pushermanpusherman Posts: 410member
    Instant gratification. Getting to walk around the mall with it. That warm fuzzy feeling of getting to drop $1500 in person. That's about it.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    m1m1 Posts: 21member
    well, as of 10 minutes ago, i just ordered my ibook 700 12" online at amazon.com. i'm uberexcited that i saved not only $106 but also no tax and free shipping! total was only $1394! much better than the student discount, plus i can use that saved $106 towards the applecare plan if i decide to purchase it before my one-year warranty ends. or maybe even a graphire wire 2 tablet! or more ram! or a cool bag/case! or.... well, you get the idea. i think it wins.

ciao~

m1 :cool:
  • Reply 4 of 8
    That is the choose I had to make a couple months back. I made the choose to go to the Apple store it gave me an excuse to drive 2 hours to the Mall of America and than I didn't have to wait to get it in the mail. I wanted that bad boy now not later. I am sure there are a lot of people like me I do order a lot of stuff online but when it comes to computers I want my hands on it ASAP.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    [quote]Originally posted by m1:

<strong>well, as of 10 minutes ago, i just ordered my ibook 700 12" online at amazon.com. i'm uberexcited that i saved not only $106 but also no tax and free shipping! total was only $1394! much better than the student discount, plus i can use that saved $106 towards the applecare plan if i decide to purchase it before my one-year warranty ends....</strong><hr></blockquote>

[curse]

Because you saved money, your computer will now be 3 weeks late.

// Add newt, blond hair and stir

You will receive you computer immediately after apple announces a new upgraded version that sends the value of your new computer plummeting to the ground.

// Add 2 eyeballs and a pinch of salt

[/curse]

j/k

[ 07-25-2002: Message edited by: Ebby ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Ebby - That is exactly what I was worried about I even said to the sales lady just wait MWNY you will see Steve Jobs release a new iBook, all she did was giggle and said you never know with him. I was happy when he didn't release a new iBook at MWNY.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    spotbugspotbug Posts: 361member
    Ok, well, I started this thread with the question, so I'll explain what I did...

Yesterday I drove up to the Apple Store in Buffalo. Before I made my purchase, I wanted to touch all of my options. The iBook still won, but that's another thread, really.

I found the Apple Store to be a fantastic shopping experience. I was touching/using everything they had. Once at the very beginning of my (must have been at least 20 minutes of) playing, an employee asked me is I had any questions. After that, I was left alone. It was very pleasant.

I very much wanted to buy right there, not only because I would have my iBook instantly, but also because it was such a nice shopping experience. I fealt they really deserved my business. But, after tax and without Amazon discount, that would have been an extra $210. Too much. So I rushed home and ordered from Amazon.com.

For those reading this thread that are interested in the Amazon promotion, note that the free shipping is 7-9 days (UPS ground, I guess). I sprang for the $40 overnight shipping (they have 2, 3 and 5 day options as well, for less). I don't like the idea of my new Mac being transferred around from truck to truck (or whatever) for 7-9 days. I know that's probably silly, but for $40 I feel better. So I only saved $170 not buying from the Apple Store. The other thing with the Amazon promotion is that, at least currently, there's a wait before they ship. My ship-date estimate (ordered yesterday at about 6pm) is for this Saturday (arriving next business day, Monday). So, if you were to do the free shipping, say today, you'd have to wait probably at least until Monday for them to ship it out and then another 7-9 days for it to arrive.

Side note: also bought Airport Card and Base Station and 512MB RAM. Can't wait!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    spotbugspotbug Posts: 361member
    [quote]Originally posted by m1:

<strong>well, as of 10 minutes ago, i just ordered my ibook 700 12" online at amazon.com</strong><hr></blockquote>

Beat you by 6 hours. I order the same one ($1394) at 6pm.

Mine goes out first!