Google self-driving car bears 'some responsibility' in accident for first time ever

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Though Google's automated vehicles have been involved in a handful of minor accidents on the road, those were all caused entirely by other, human drivers. But that changed with an accident in California earlier this month.

The incident was revealed in documents filed with the California Department of Motor Vehiclesm unearthed by by Re/code on Monday. They reveal that a self-driving Lexus RX450h hit a municipal bus in Mountain View.

The DMV's accident report states that the self-driving Lexus was attempting to merge back into traffic and avoid some sandbags on the road in front of a storm drain. The Google-controlled vehicle apparently saw the bus in its rear view mirror and assumed it would stop or slow down, but instead, it kept going.

In all, it was a low-speed accident: Google's vehicle was moving at just 2 miles per hour, while the city bus was traveling at 15 miles per hour. There were no injuries, and the report only made mention of damage sustained by Google's car.

After news of the crash surfaced online, Google offered its own account of the accident, saying that similar incidents happen "between human drivers on the road every day."

"This is a classic example of the negotiation that's a normal part of driving -- we're all trying to predict each other's movements," the company said. "In this case, we clearly bear some responsibility, because if our car hadn't moved there wouldn't have been a collision. That said, our test driver believed the bust was going to slow or stop to allow us to merge into the traffic, and that there would be sufficient space to do that."

On public roads, Google's self-driving cars were previously known to have been involved in 17 different accidents. But in each of those incidents, human drivers were said to be at fault, making the Feb. 14 incident the first time Google's vehicle can shoulder some of the blame.

While Google's autonomous vehicle efforts are out in the open, Apple's own "Project Titan" is a secret development said to be underway not far from the company's corporate headquarters. AppleInsider's own sources and research have indicated that the bulk of this development is underway in a series of buildings in the city of Sunnyvale.

Specifically, Project Titan is said to be based out of a building known internally as "SG5." It's there that a company by the name of SixtyEight Research has been operating, prompting speculation that it could be a shell corporation used by Apple to fly under the radar.

Reports have suggested that Apple is hoping to put its own vehicle on the road by 2019, but that the first-generation model won't be a self-driving car. Autonomous capabilities are said to be a more ambitious, longer-term goal for Apple?--?something that could be difficult and potentially dangerous to implement, as evidenced by Google's accident in Mountain View.
tallest skil

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    Of course...
    a private citizen's car runs into a Government vehicle and the Government official says that it is the citizen's fault.
    i call bullshit!

i have seen this in real life involving real people.  the citizen received a ticket by the officer who caused the accident.  the citizen protested and the duty officer arrived and issued the citizen another ticket.  the citizen protested and the highway patrol was called.  the highway patrol officer gave the officer the ticket and the judge suspended the officer's license for 6 months.  quite funny.  I guess google will have to program the ability to dispute a ticket with their cars.  If corporations are people, then cars are people too!
    mcarling
  • Reply 2 of 38
    josujosu Posts: 217member
    Yes, Google is liable of a big offense to good taste with that horrendous pod. Thanks that I'm old enough and leave in a city center where I can go by feet to most parts, because given the option to walk or ride in that insult to good taste, I prefer to walk. OK that I live in a benign climate place helps. If I where living say, in Chicago, I would feel more inclined to be seen in that stylistic abortion.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    hike1272 said:
    I guess google will have to program the ability to dispute a ticket with their cars.  If corporations are people, then cars are people too!
    I'm sure these cars are going to have lots of recording equipment - both sensors and video.  Otherwise it will be a human driver's word against ... nothing.  Google won't want the liability and the passenger in the driver's seat certainly won't.

With a solid record of the incident, there's plenty of evidence for insurance companies (and a court, if necessary) to review and come to a decision.  And possibly a better one than would be reached if it was two human drivers and a lot of possibly-inaccurate testimony.
    mcarlingjaker's ugly brotherjony0
  • Reply 4 of 38
    hike1272 said:
    Of course...
    a private citizen's car runs into a Government vehicle and the Government official says that it is the citizen's fault.
    i call bullshit!

i have seen this in real life involving real people.  the citizen received a ticket by the officer who caused the accident.  the citizen protested and the duty officer arrived and issued the citizen another ticket.  the citizen protested and the highway patrol was called.  the highway patrol officer gave the officer the ticket and the judge suspended the officer's license for 6 months.  quite funny.  I guess google will have to program the ability to dispute a ticket with their cars.  If corporations are people, then cars are people too!
    Actually, according to the law self-driving cars are people:  http://www.reuters.com/article/us-alphabet-autos-selfdriving-exclusive-idUSKCN0VJ00H
    jaker's ugly brother
  • Reply 5 of 38
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    hike1272 said:
    Of course...
    i call bullshit!

If the bus was acting properly, and the car made an error in expecting that the bus wouldn't move, then whose fault is that?
    jaker's ugly brotherronniosenthusiastspinnyd
  • Reply 6 of 38
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    This comes to no surprise.  The moment you introduce the logic and systemic approach of a computerized vehicle into an environment filled with irrational, unpredictable human drivers, things are going to go awry from time-to-time.

I just bought a new car and it has every piece of high-tech systems for self-parking, collision-detection, and lane-drifting-correction abilities that is almost overwhelming.  It drives the car more than I do.

I definitely see a time where automotive manufacturers will implement some kind of common automotive-network system where the cars communicate with each other and can therefore prevent collisions.  
    diplicationjony0iosenthusiastspinnyd
  • Reply 7 of 38
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This is still in the early stages. By 2020, we will have millions of more miles of experience with this. There's no doubt that with time, the onboard computers, software, and sensors will get much better than they are now. At some point, cars will drive much better than people, in a mixed environment. The problem isn't the autonomous car, but the human drivers in the other cars.

if there were no human drivers, these manufacturers could simply get together and come up with standards as to what cars would do in every circumstance. Under these conditions, there would be no accidents that were caused by the cars themselves. The problem right now is that a computer can't predict 100% of the time what a human driver would do. So there are times, like this one, where the car will be in error.
    mcarlingjony0
  • Reply 8 of 38
    The AppleInsider said:
    Though Google's automated vehicles have been involved in a handful of minor accidents on the road, those were all caused entirely by other, human drivers. But that changed with an accident in California earlier this month.
     I think the only reason Google is virtually accident-free (at-fault) is because there is always a real driver behind the wheel, 100% alert, and capable of avoiding an accident (otherwise would have been caused by the self-driving system) at a very last moment. But of course Google will sell BS to the public on how this is a result of their ingenious engineering.
    jaker's ugly brotherronnspinnyd
  • Reply 9 of 38
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    sflocal said:

I definitely see a time where automotive manufacturers will implement some kind of common automotive-network system where the cars communicate with each other and can therefore prevent collisions.  
    And then the FBI will demand a backdoor to this network so they can take control of the cars whenever they want.
    mcarlingtdknoxjaker's ugly brotherdiplicationjony0JanNLspinnydSpamSandwich
  • Reply 10 of 38
    jason98 said:
     I think the only reason Google is virtually accident-free (at-fault) is because there is always a real driver behind the wheel, 100% alert, and capable of avoiding an accident (otherwise would have been caused by the self-driving system) at a very last moment. But of course Google will sell BS to the public on how this is a result of their ingenious engineering.
    I wager it's more b/c it follows laws to the letter, which can be quite annoying. Regardless, assigning fault to accidents isn't that relevant. If there are more accidents involving autonomous vehicles, then it means autonomous vehicles have trouble abiding by "rules" of traffic flow, not necessarily the law, and that's bad for everyone until humans are taken out of driving altogether. 
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 11 of 38
    I want to live to see the day when one of these is loaded with packages for delivery and includes no humans in its payload and has an accident. I would love to see the reaction on the cops who come to the scene of that accident!
  • Reply 12 of 38
    The government needs to demand that Google write software allowing them to monitor these cars and their occupants at all times.

Wait..what?
    tdknox
  • Reply 13 of 38
    I wonder how the Google cars can handle this road: Or any other roads with the similar condition.
    jaker's ugly brotherspinnyd
  • Reply 14 of 38
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    As much as I am not a fan of Google, in my own experience too many city bus drivers drive like a menace... Using their size to bully cars.  If a  national branded semi trucker driver drove like some bus drivers drive, they would be sued all the time. Who is going to sue the government? They need to put a sign on all sides of city bus that says "how's my driving?" Followed by id and phone number.  
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 15 of 38
    Has any consideration yet been given as to whether a car in 'self-drive' mode will have to have a fully licensed human driver sitting in the driver's seat, or whether that human driver must not be under the influence of alcohol or drugs? And will such a driver need two licences, one to drive a normal car plus one to be in charge of a 'self-drive' vehicle?
  • Reply 16 of 38
    Can't program for human stupidity. 
    spinnyd
  • Reply 17 of 38
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    In this case, it's a crapshoot if there is an accident or not, so not sure how Google should bear anything; sometimes, there is no right or wrong and its just chance that keeps us safe; that's why driving is so terrifying, especially with humans around which are much more unpredictable than humans.
    In this case, if the automated bus had indicated it's decision to the car and vice-versa, there would be no accident at all.

People who think mostly automated driving is far in future will be surprised, it's coming real soon; fully larger scale automated will find it's way on some freeways by 2020.
    The obstacle right now are legal and regulatory, not technology.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    sflocal said:

Cars will not need to communicate with each other to avoid each other.  Computer-driven cars are inherently more predictable (by several orders of magnitude) than human-driven cars.  If computer-driven cars can avoid causing collisions with human-driven cars (and they have already proven that they can), then avoiding collisions with computer-driven cars is trivially easy.  Sensing what the other vehicle is doing and knowing something about its programming obviates any need for communication.jason98 said:
    The AppleInsider said:

No, computers are much better than humans at avoiding accidents.  
  • Reply 18 of 38
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    sflocal said:

Cars will not need to communicate with each other to avoid each other.  Computer-driven cars are inherently more predictable (by several orders of magnitude) than human-driven cars.  If computer-driven cars can avoid causing collisions with human-driven cars (and they have already proven that they can), then avoiding collisions with computer-driven cars is trivially easy.  Sensing what the other vehicle is doing and knowing something about its programming obviates any need for communication.jason98 said:
    The AppleInsider said:

No, computers are much better than humans at avoiding accidents.  
  • Reply 20 of 38
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    In all, it was a low-speed accident: Google's vehicle was moving at just 2 miles per hour, while the city bus was traveling at 15 miles per hour.
    Are we going to have to deal with Google cars driving ridiculously slow like this? It's bad enough when I get stuck behind a driver that doesn't understand sufficient acceleration or speeds that are flowing with traffic. It sounds as if the collision would have been avoided if Google's car had accelerated quickly.
    jaker's ugly brotherJanNLrazorpit