Excellent point about the "Flagship" stores

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This is from an article at <a href="http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/business/technology/personal_technology/3732683.htm"; target="_blank">SiliconValley.com</a>

I paticularly like this segment:

[quote]Retail

Finally, Apple opened up a new retail store in New York's SoHo neighborhood. The store is bigger than the others Apple has opened so far -- it's two stories instead of one. During the press tour, Jobs asked me what I thought of it. ``Looks pretty nice,'' I said. ``It looks like you designed it mostly to accommodate more foot traffic.''

He looked at me like I was an idiot. ``What do you expect?'' he said. ``Motor traffic?''

Apple could have chosen to put some special feature in the extra space, something unique that's found only in the bigger stores. Maybe a PowerMac loaded with the hottest Mac-compatible video games. Maybe a ``switch'' station where you could pit a Mac and a PC against each other in various tasks, to show that a Mac can do much of what a PC can do.

Apple didn't do that. The company chose instead to basically build the same store it has been building, only bigger, to accommodate more foot traffic.<hr></blockquote>

I think he has a good point. There should be something unique (other than actually having a real theater) in the flagship stores. Also, I like Jobs' sarcastic comment.

Comments