Waze for iOS gets 'planned drives' for upcoming commutes

Posted:
in iPhone
The iOS version of Google's Waze navigation app has been updated with "planned drives," allowing drivers to schedule commutes up to several days ahead of time and accomodate for traffic.

The feature, currently exclusive to iOS, can be invoked by picking a destination, and tapping an icon in the app's ETA panel. Users can see peak traffic hours along their route, and as with an app like Google Calendar, get timed notifications to leave based on live traffic conditions.

While trips can be created manually, the app can also automatically import events from Facebook or the iOS Calendar app, scraping them for times and addresses. Once on the road users can still add detours to places like gas stations and restaurants.

In a separate improvement, the traffic bar will now show a reason for an ongoing traffic jam, if available, such as an accident. When making a call on an iPhone, the updated app will automatically mute its own audio.

Waze is a free download and runs on any device with iOS 7 or later, though Wi-Fi-only devices won't have access to the GPS signal needed for precise location.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Please bring Waze app to Apple CarPlay!
  • Reply 2 of 8
    gtj333gtj333 Posts: 20member
    Yes - agree. Waze rocks compared with Apple's solutions. 
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Wish they were still independednt and not owned by Google.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Please bring Waze app to Apple CarPlay!
    Thirded.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 5 of 8
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    I love Waze, but have encountered one annoying bug since it was redesigned a few months back. Every one in a while, Waze will popup a survey when you're completely stopped asking you about popular brands with a 4-choice selection menu. However, the "question" being asked about those brands is hidden behind the four buttons, so you don't know what the heck it's asking.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    pasihpasih Posts: 2member
    Waze, please make it possible to ad electric car charging stations
  • Reply 7 of 8
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

I have been using the calendar feature since it came out, I Like get the notice that I need to leave by x time to get to my appointment. It sends notice to my watch, this is how things should work.

as others said, I too wish google never bought them. if apple can incorporate waze features into it map program I would dump google and waze.

• Reply 8 of 8
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    Waze has saved me from at least 5 speeding tickets in the past year.  My only ask is for a voice mode that is somewhere in between "full" and "notifications only" - maybe something that notifies me once about each manoeuvre.  I find the full voice navigation just a little bit too chatty - but that's just a minor thing.  Waze is far and away the best navigation app I've seen!