App update suggests Apple Pencil support coming to rumored 9.7" iPad Pro

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2016
A Thursday update to popular iPad drawing app Astropad Graphics Tablet suggests Apple's next-generation 9.7-inch iPad, rumored to launch as a "Pro" model next week, will bring support for Apple Pencil.

In the notes for Astropad's version 1.4 release, developer Astro HQ claims "Apple pencil support for new iPads (Spring 2016)," a curious addition considering Apple's pressure-sensing stylus only works with the 12.9-inch iPad Pro. Apple launched iPad Pro alongside Apple Pencil in November.

While not solid evidence that Apple's rumored 9.7-inch iPad revamp will sport Apple Pencil compatibility, the update lines up with recent rumblings claiming much the same. Apple often grants certain developers pre-launch access to top secret hardware, allowing them to code demo apps later used to tout key features in an onstage debut.

Apple Pencil is currently relegated to the massive 12.9-inch iPad Pro, which comes with specialized internal components like a sampling subsystem capable of boosting scan rates to 240Hz when connected to the stylus, a feature designed to negate perceivable input lag.

According to the most recent rumors Apple's next-gen 9.7-inch iPad will come with a Smart Connector for attaching powered accessories, a rear camera flash and quad speakers for stereo sound in both landscape and portrait viewing orientations.

Apple is widely expected to debut a new 9.7-inch iPad Pro alongside a next-generation 4-inch iPhone at a media event on March 21.

Aside from the Apple Pencil revelation, Astropad version 1.4 comes with various stability improvements.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I thought my iPad Air 2 was the perfect device, but this seems like a really solid set of upgrades.
    nolamacguycornchip
  • Reply 2 of 7
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    So an app developer posts something they probably know nothing about (except for whatever they have read on rumor sites) and gets free publicity for their app? Hmmm... 
    cornchip
  • Reply 3 of 7
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    So an app developer posts something they probably know nothing about (except for whatever they have read on rumor sites) and gets free publicity for their app? Hmmm... 
    Um,no. If they were able to add this support using public APIs, the beta and the SDK they have access to obviously support it. Since the Astropad developers are former Apple engineers and Astropad is the poster app for Apple Pencil, this makes perfect sense. Just seems that Apple released it a few days too early.
    cornchip
  • Reply 4 of 7
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    dreyfus2 said:
    Um,no. If they were able to add this support using public APIs, the beta and the SDK they have access to obviously support it. Since the Astropad developers are former Apple engineers and Astropad is the poster app for Apple Pencil, this makes perfect sense. Just seems that Apple released it a few days too early.

This is information that would have really helped the article. Thanks! I figured if it was just APIs in the betas, we would have heard about it by now.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    I've used a Wacom tablet as a mouse substitute for decades: a pencil for an iPad and I'm upgrading from my current Air. 
    edited March 2016 cornchip
  • Reply 6 of 7
    "iPads" (instead of "iPad") makes me hope, they will update iPad mini with pencil support as well...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    The update went down, and they now sent out an email to their customers.
    Here it is:
    Hello, 
         Astropad is currently inaccessible on the App Store, we are working to resolve this situation as soon as possible. 
    We will be in touch as soon as the situation is resolved.
    Something went wrong with the update process of the App Store. If you have Astropad installed on your iPad, don't do anything. You will be fine. 
    Depending on which version you have installed your iPad, you may need a different Astropad for Mac: 
    Download Astropad for Mac v1.3 
    Download Astropad for Mac v1.4 
    Apologies for the inconvenience we are working as fast as we can to resolve the situation,

Matt, Giovanni & Malyse 

I think what would really help Astropad was the release of a true USB3 connection kit. They're struggling with USB2 speeds. It's not optimal the way it works now. Too much data on too little bandwidth.

fastasleepcornchip