Charging for iPhone SE

Posted:
in Genius Bar
Has anyone used higher rate chargers(say, from a tablet) to speed up charging their iPhone? Will it help/hurt my new phone I haven't even received yet? I plan on using a factory extended cable with the supplied wall charger. New to Apple and just curious.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Any other tips to an Apple newb who hasn't even unboxed or received his shiny new phone would be awesome!
  • Reply 2 of 5
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    That's a good question.

I often charge my Apple devices, including iPhones using an iPad adapter, and it certainly wont hurt it or damage it, but I think that it depends which iPhone you are using, if you actually get faster charging or not.

iPhone chargers are 5 Watts, and I know of three different iPad chargers (depending on which iPad you buy), I have them all. One is 5 watts (just like the iPhone), one is 10 watts and the other is 12 watts. 

The SE is mostly built using a lot of iPhone 5S parts, and from what I understand, the iPhone 5s will charge at 1 amp, regardless of which charger it is plugged in to.

Starting from the iPhone 6 and up, those iPhones allow faster charging if they are plugged into a more powerful charger, like a tablet or iPad adapter.

Apple did give the SE a slightly bigger battery compared to the iPhone 5s, but I do not know if they have allowed it to charge at more than 1 amp. I would probably guess that it remains the same as it was on the iPhone 5s, though I sure wouldn't mind being wrong about that.

The easy way to find out is to just charge the iPhone SE from 0% when you get it using both chargers, and you'll quickly find out if there is any difference.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 3 of 5
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    apple ][ said:

The SE is mostly built using a lot of iPhone 5S parts, and from what I understand, the iPhone 5s will charge at 1 amp, regardless of which charger it is plugged in to.

Starting from the iPhone 6 and up, those iPhones allow faster charging if they are plugged into a more powerful charger, like a tablet or iPad adapter.

Apple did give the SE a slightly bigger battery compared to the iPhone 5s, but I do not know if they have allowed it to charge at more than 1 amp. I would probably guess that it remains the same as it was on the iPhone 5s, though I sure wouldn't mind being wrong about that.

The easy way to find out is to just charge the iPhone SE from 0% when you get it using both chargers, and you'll quickly find out if there is any difference.
    The SE has brand new power chips as discussed in the tear down, different from either the 6 or 6s. So all bets are off.

Along with parts bin components, iPhone SE packs in new hardware including a Skyworks SKY77611 power amplifier module, a Texas Instruments 338S00170 power management IC, Toshiba NAND flash, an EPCOS D5255 antenna switch module and AAC Technologies' 0DALM1 microphone, the report said. A separate as-yet-unidentified chip could be a new power management IC designed by Apple in cooperation with Dialog Semiconductor. 
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 4 of 5
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    mac_128 said:
    apple ][ said:

The SE has brand new power chips as discussed in the tear down, different from either the 6 or 6s. So all bets are off.

Along with parts bin components, iPhone SE packs in new hardware including a Skyworks SKY77611 power amplifier module, a Texas Instruments 338S00170 power management IC, Toshiba NAND flash, an EPCOS D5255 antenna switch module and AAC Technologies' 0DALM1 microphone, the report said. A separate as-yet-unidentified chip could be a new power management IC designed by Apple in cooperation with Dialog Semiconductor. 
    That's potentially good news! It would be great if the SE allows for speedier charging.