Questions about icloud

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited April 2016
Good morning.  I just signed up for the 200gb icloud plan.  I want to get out of using Google Photo, as well as the rest of Googles apps.

1.  I uploaded a bunch on pics and my available storage hasn't gotten smaller.  Why?

2.  I look at my icloud drive and there is just a pages file that i uploaded, no pics?  Where are the pics being stored?

3.  What is the easiest way to move my pics from Google photo to iCloud

Thanks 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Call apple they will help 
  • Reply 2 of 2
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,724member
    How did you exactly upload your pics?

there are a number of options. 

First, you have direct access to the iCloud Drive through the file system. In the finder on MacOS you can access your iCloud Drive as a folder. Anything you copy directly into this folder will count against your storage. Also, you should see the individual files as you do in a local folder. 

Another way is going through Photos in the cloud. In this case you import all pictures into the photo app and the space used by the, again counts against your storage plan. 

The only way I envision where your storage is not counted against is if you store the pictures in a photo stream (yours or a shared one). Beware, however that the normal photo stream keeps only the last 30 days worth of pictures and up to a maximum of 1000.  Shared streams are time wise unlimited. You can find more about the space limit in the apple knowledge base.