Apple premieres seven new Apple Watch ads with strong fitness & celebrity focus

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2016
Apple on Monday debuted several new Apple Watch TV ads, highlighting features and apps while also leveraging celebrities to gain some marketing clout.

Three of the spots -- "Chase," "Golf," and "Row" -- center on the Watch's fitness functions. Chase features musician and actor Nick Jonas, who tries to outdo a friend on a steps leaderboard. Golf stars shock-rocker Alice Cooper, frustrated by his golf swing.

"Find" has actress Chlo? Sevigny trying to locate a missing iPhone, while "Swap" has musician Leon Bridges demonstrating two of the Watch's band options. Finally, "Surprise" shows off the combination of HomeKit and Siri, and "Rain" promotes Jackadam's "hyperlocal" weather app Dark Sky.

All seven spots use an aesthetic now common to Watch ads, with actors performing against a spartan but colorful backdrop. Each is also extremely short, lasting 15-16 seconds.

Apple is believed to be working on a new Apple Watch coming later this year. Features are still unknown, but it could be an "s" upgrade, improving internal specifications without changing overall design.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    (cough) Alice Cooper (cough) Rock legend (cough)

(in the golf promo)
    flashvipe
  • Reply 2 of 23
    the golfer is Alice Cooper  ;)
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 3 of 23
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Love these. What Apple does best in marketing - simplification & abstraction
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 4 of 23
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I love the last one, Rain.  It epitomizes the utility I get daily from Watch interactions.  
  • Reply 5 of 23
    while "Swap" has musician Leon Bridges

That's not Leon Bridges. It's Jon Batiste from The Late Show with Stephen Colbert. Who's doing y'alls crap research?

phone-ui-guy
  • Reply 6 of 23
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Apple ads traditionally show you what their products can do for you, not how fast the processor is or how much ram they have.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 7 of 23
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    lkrupp said:
    Apple ads traditionally show you what their products can do for you, not how fast the processor is or how much ram they have.
    While true for the Apple part, I can't recall the last time I've seen a ad for another OEM that talks about processors or ram. They always show me what they can do just like Apple. You have any links to recent ads that do?
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 8 of 23
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    These are nice, short and sweet. It still amazes me how much ink the tech press spills over a product they think is a dud that no one wants.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    MDotMDot Posts: 3member
    Anyone know what app was used for the "surprise" ad?
  • Reply 10 of 23
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    i was once in albany, ny and had to quickly buy a bit of workout apparel and bumped into Alice Cooper who was buying a set of cheap clubs as he wanted to play quickly but did not bring his. the clerk bent down and said, "we're not worthy"! Cooper sighed and said thanks. I said that it must happen all the time, to which he replied after looking where the exit was, "watch- three more times". He was spot on, after the third as he was about to leave he turned to see me laughing and shrugged before taking a bow to those in the store.
    ai46slprescottSpamSandwichpatchythepirate
  • Reply 11 of 23
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    And Newsweek claims over half of Americans think it's a dud.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    lkrupp said:
    While true for the Apple part, I can't recall the last time I've seen a ad for another OEM that talks about processors or ram. They always show me what they can do just like Apple. You have any links to recent ads that do?
    That's because every PC maker has finally caught up to Apple in terms of many things including marketing. The latest Microsoft commercial is an Apple ripoff from the music right down to the composition. They're entitled to borrow as many non-patentable or trademark able things as they want but at some point it's more about reminding the consumer how close we can get to being Apple without incurring the expense of owning Apple products.
    propod
  • Reply 13 of 23
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    lkrupp said:
    That's been the case only for the last few years, thanks to Apple's influence, and only general public marketing; online you still see the spec jock type of marketing and PR targeted at the tech press.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    revenant said:
    i was once in albany, ny and had to quickly buy a bit of workout apparel and bumped into Alice Cooper who was buying a set of cheap clubs as he wanted to play quickly but did not bring his. the clerk bent down and said, "we're not worthy"! Cooper sighed and said thanks. I said that it must happen all the time, to which he replied after looking where the exit was, "watch- three more times". He was spot on, after the third as he was about to leave he turned to see me laughing and shrugged before taking a bow to those in the store.
    Slave to your own legend is a bitch; but I'm sure he can live with it when he collects his checks :-).
    revenant
  • Reply 15 of 23
    And Newsweek claims over half of Americans think it's a dud.
    Is Newsweek still alive? Thought it died 10 years ago.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Thank goodness they didn't use Nick Jonas' guitar solo at the ACMs.  He should disavow being called a musician after that.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Chase features musician and actor Nick Jonas, who tries to outdo a friend on a steps leaderboard.
    Isn't "Joe" Nick Jonas' brother, rather than his friend? Well, I guess you'd hope he's both...
    damonf
  • Reply 18 of 23
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Imagine if it had an actual fitness focus, vs. ads that focus on fitness.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    john.b said:
    Imagine if it had an actual fitness focus, vs. ads that focus on fitness.
    I use mine in the gym three days a week, and track my walking and standing every day.

sounds like you're using it wrong. 
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    These are nice, short and sweet. It still amazes me how much ink the tech press spills over a product they think is a dud that no one wants.
    The tech press doesn't understand why Apple is successful. They've decided it's much easier to run the company down than make the effort to learn.  
    patchythepirate