Apple begins promoting 'Live Tune-In' feature for fourth-generation Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Owners of the fourth-generation Apple TV were on Friday greeted with an updated "What's New" splash screen, promoting "Live Tune-In," a feature letting people jump straight into the live TV feeds of select apps.

The screen notes that the feature is triggered via Siri commands, some given examples being "Watch CBS" and "Watch ESPN live." It's not clear how many apps actually support the technology, though Disney XD is mentioned as another option. In any case, a viewer must already be subscribed to the service in question.

Other items on the splash screen were contained in March's tvOS 9.2 update. It's unknown why Apple would only now be promoting Live Tune-In, but Apple may have been waiting until it could make server-side Siri improvements.

Siri-related changes can often be pushed out without a matching OS update. Earlier in April, for instance, the company silently upgraded Siri on iPhones and iPads with access to a large assortment of baseball statistics.

Live Tune-In should allow people to treat an Apple TV more like a conventional TV, quickly switching between live channels.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    This is pretty cool. I'm all for new features on the ATV. I would love a way to see all the "Live Tune-In" shows at once. I'm a browser, so it would be cool to know what the 5-6 "Live Tune-In" apps were currently showing without launching each one. Maybe something like "Siri, what's live on ESPN?" Without the app launching: "NBA Basketball: Miami Heat vs Cleveland Cavaliers - would you like to watch live?" If you say yes, it launches. Save you from opening each app just to realize whatever is showing live at that moment is not of interest to you.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    It’s becoming clear that Apple has big plans for the TV. But of course there’s that arrogant vocal crowd that wanted everything RIGHT NOW and trashed the device from day one without even understanding why some things take time to do right.
    supadav03caliai46creek0512williamlondonjony0
  • Reply 3 of 12
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    Hey look: I found a use for Siri. But how about a system level app that displays onscreen all the choices for live TV from the other installed apps? You know...like a cable box.
    supadav03cali
  • Reply 4 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    supadav03 said:
    This is pretty cool. I'm all for new features on the ATV. I would love a way to see all the "Live Tune-In" shows at once. I'm a browser, so it would be cool to know what the 5-6 "Live Tune-In" apps were currently showing without launching each one. Maybe something like "Siri, what's live on ESPN?" Without the app launching: "NBA Basketball: Miami Heat vs Cleveland Cavaliers - would you like to watch live?" If you say yes, it launches. Save you from opening each app just to realize whatever is showing live at that moment is not of interest to you.
    Good idea.
    supadav03
  • Reply 5 of 12
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Wait was this an update? Because someone beat me to the Apple TV this morning and I didn't et to see the splash screen.

i just want them to fix Siri. Using the feature is embarrassing and a lot worse than iPhone. She's always saying "can't search the web here" when asking movies and makes annoying witty comments when you're trying to find certain things, completely ignoring your request.

lkrupp said:
    It’s becoming clear that Apple has big plans for the TV. But of course there’s that arrogant vocal crowd that wanted everything RIGHT NOW and trashed the device from day one without even understanding why some things take time to do right.

I did both because I realize this device was released only so that Apple won't fall behind and please those who have been waiting years. The real revolution is coming.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    cali said:
    Wait was this an update? Because someone beat me to the Apple TV this morning and I didn't et to see the splash screen.

i just want them to fix Siri. Using the feature is embarrassing and a lot worse than iPhone. She's always saying "can't search the web here" when asking movies and makes annoying witty comments when you're trying to find certain things, completely ignoring your request.

lkrupp said:

I did both because I realize this device was released only so that Apple won't fall behind and please those who have been waiting years. The real revolution is coming.
    Well, you’ve never made a positive comment about Apple in your life so that’s understandable.
    ai46supadav03realjustinlongjbdragonapplepieguy
  • Reply 7 of 12
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    lkrupp said:
    What are their big plans?  I thought it was supposed to be content, but the rumour was, that the deals fell through.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    lkrupp said:
    Agree. Product needs sometimes to fine tune. Whiners never stop complaining. Beside 4K resolution support which is mostly useless at this point, ATV 4 is a kickass device. I'm still using Fire TV because of Sling TV and Amazon Apps. Once, these apps are available on ATV, I'll dump the Fire TV.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 12
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    fallenjt said:
    lkrupp said:
    Agree. Product needs sometimes to fine tune. Whiners never stop complaining. Beside 4K resolution support which is mostly useless at this point, ATV 4 is a kickass device. I'm still using Fire TV because of Sling TV and Amazon Apps. Once, these apps are available on ATV, I'll dump the Fire TV.
    I think the complaining about the Apple TV is because it came out and did less then the old Apple tv in many ways.  Lacked app control!  It lacked keyboard support!. It lacked Siri features! There was a number of things ur just lacked right from the start.  This was a new Apple tv, that took a long time to come out. The Apple tv 3 has been out for quite some time at that point.  So Apple had time.

You expect to buy updated hardware that builds over what came in the past.  So it should have had support for everything a Apple TV 3 did and build on to odd that with the new features, not come out at some future date.  That is why people were mad.  Apple can't help if content Owners are fighting them to create some new service.  Quite frankly if they just come out with some tv service that's really like everyone else, yet another dumb bundle, they are wasting their time!!! 
  • Reply 10 of 12
    peteraltpeteralt Posts: 155member
    It's a cool feature, but so far only the examples are working. Has anyone got any channel other than the examples working?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    supadav03 said:
    +1
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I never got this as a splash screen.  I finally found it by going into Settings, then to System, and then one of the options shown was What's New.