Help On Monitor!

Posted:
in Genius Bar
Hello all!

I hope someone could help me with this. I got a really good deal on a Mac Mini but I don't have a great monitor. What I would like to know is wich are the tech characteristics I should be looking on a monitor for it to look at least decent with a Mac. I know Apple have really good monitors but I don't have that kind of money :C. Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Monitors come in three panel qualities: TN, VA, and IPS, in ascending order (also of price). VA and IPS have subcategories (H-PVA, MVA, S-IPS, and H-IPS), while TN’s just TN.

What resolution are you after?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Monitors come in three panel qualities: TN, VA, and IPS, in ascending order (also of price). VA and IPS have subcategories (H-PVA, MVA, S-IPS, and H-IPS), while TN’s just TN.

What resolution are you after?
    I think 2k, nothing to fancy :P 
  • Reply 3 of 3
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I think 2k, nothing to fancy :P 
    2k... so 1920x1080 or 2560x1440?  :p Physical sizes tend not to depart from 24” and 27” (respectively) for those, so you’re sort of stuck with a physical size if you want a given resolution, too.

Tom’s Hardware likes this TN 24” for its fast response time, and it seems to be less than $300. Oh, but wow; here’s an IPS panel for even LESS. And it’s Dell, who makes far better displays than they do computers. Even their 27” (on the same page) is only $500.