Apple working to promote Apple Music with superstar 'family,' album-like approach

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple's marketing strategy for its nascent music streaming service is inspired by the music industry itself, the company revealed on Monday alongside a new one-minute spot featuring pop sensation Taylor Swift.

Apple is working to involve artists in the creative process, content chief Larry Jackson told Fast Company. The iPhone maker wants its streaming service to serve as a "clubhouse" for artists in hopes that it will provide a leg up on competitors.

"I've had this idea for a few years, that you could have this creative haven for artists, and there could be synergy among these people in the clubhouse, and this campaign is a perfect manifestation of that," Jackson said. "That first ad, for example, the Drake and Future album was a one-week exclusive on Apple Music, they're both in the clubhouse. To use that song, from that album by two guys who wear the jersey, in that commercial, was such a symbiotic thing, and had such unspoken power because you've got Drake, Future, and Taylor, who are all part of the Apple Music family, so to speak. To have Drake and Future benefit from a commercial with Taylor, made me really proud."

Swift herself is said to have been the inspiration behind her now two-spot run. The first ad -- in which she loses a battle with a treadmill -- was a major success, and was joined Monday by a new, somewhat less clumsy one.

"Taylor Swift lives at Apple Music, Drake lives at Apple Music, with so many other artists," Jackson added. "They use the product. This isn't a toothpaste ad. This is a place where their ideas are carried through with respect and reverence. We want to be able to allow artists to come here and have their ideas happen in their purest form. That's why I'm so proud of this campaign--Taylor came to us with an idea, and I protected it for dear life, because it's that good."

According to Jackson, Apple's distribution strategy is tried and true: the company intends to treat the campaign like a record release.

"You release one single, it's got a certain longevity, then the next single drops," he said. "What we're doing here, to avoid it all fading out too soon, is using the same cadence as an album--spot comes out, hype dies down two week later, then out comes another spot, same thing happens, then drop the next one. So we're using the same approach with spots as we would with singles."
moreck

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sog35 said:
    I have AppleMusic family plan.

I'm kind of shocked that alot of music is not available. And I'm not talking about unknown stuff either.

I wanted to listen to Hootie and the Blowfish first album. Not available. Really? They were a grammy winner and their album isn't available?
    There are other songs/albums that were very popular from the 90's and 2000's that were also not available. kinda misses the point of streaming if so many songs are not available. 

I think it's up to the artists whether they stream or not. Is Hootie and the Blowfish available on another streaming service? 

moreck
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Bloody hell! I've just seen that Taylor Swift: faceplant advert.

That looked painful!

But I did laugh.
    edited April 2016 moreck
  • Reply 3 of 18
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    So Taylor Swift is the face of Apple Music now? Is Apple's marketing strategy just throw celebrities in adverts now?
  • Reply 4 of 18
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Bloody hell! I've just seen that Taylor Swift: faceplant advert.

That looked painful!

But I did laugh.
    I liked that one and I like this one. I like that she is about as big as you can get and yet she is shown miming other people's music. :)
    radarthekatmanfred zornmoreck
  • Reply 5 of 18
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I found a weird issue with music. I save some music for offline listening. The tracks were put into a play list. The first track was an mp3 I downloaded from soundcloud. When I tried to play some tracks whilst off line they were greyed out and wouldn't play. So I played the first track because that was available - I am guessing because I had added that myself from an external source. Once that track played I was able to skip along and play the other tracks. Anyone come across this?
  • Reply 6 of 18
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    While I generally like Apple Music I've been disappointed with its music discovery capabilities. It does a good job of trying to introduce me to artists and bands I already have heavily represented in my collection but is pretty much useless for bringing new artists to my attention based on knowledge of what I already have. Pandora is much more intelligent in this regard. It's fine that the big commercial music factory artists get their due attention in the Apple Music store, but at some point the headline content gets rather boring and commodity with little differentiation between music services. With Pandora I was constantly discovering new artists and bands. With Apple Music I'm basically just staying on top of the latest releases from artists and bands I already follow.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Apple please just make Apple Music a record label already!!

Imagine the record amount of artists ditching old school labels to join?
    artists are just waiting...
  • Reply 8 of 18
    sog35 said:
    Rayz2016 said:

I think it's up to the artists whether they stream or not. Is Hootie and the Blowfish available on another streaming service? 

For me its more about expectation. I'd expect virtually all popular/recent music to be available on AppleMusic. This is not the case.  I might be better off just buying music instead.

Right, that sounds like 'no, it's not available on another streaming service.'

edited April 2016
  • Reply 9 of 18

So Taylor Swift is the face of Apple Music now? Is Apple's marketing strategy just throw celebrities in adverts now?

If you can prove it's not working then maybe you'd have a point. Otherwise… 

I think the cookie monster ad is the funniest ad I've seen this one:

edited April 2016 moreck
  • Reply 10 of 18
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    This is good stuff. These big artists have the cultural weight to make Apple Music feel relevant. 

With streaming music, just about everyone has the same music catalog, the UI is essentially equivalent at this point now that Apple's bugs have been fixed, so it really comes down to which service feels more like the "right" one. 

Thats almost all marketing. 
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 11 of 18
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    cali said:
    Apple please just make Apple Music a record label already!!

Imagine the record amount of artists ditching old school labels to join?
    artists are just waiting...
    Like who? 
  • Reply 12 of 18
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Time to shut the music funny bits down and concentrate on real products.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    paxman said:
    I found a weird issue with music. I save some music for offline listening. The tracks were put into a play list. The first track was an mp3 I downloaded from soundcloud. When I tried to play some tracks whilst off line they were greyed out and wouldn't play. So I played the first track because that was available - I am guessing because I had added that myself from an external source. Once that track played I was able to skip along and play the other tracks. Anyone come across this?
    If its a bug, report it.
    Is is repeatable? If it is, it should be easy to report and to fix.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    As opposed to what? Dr. Dre? Trent Reznor? Drake? This marketing strategy for Apple Music is not new.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    sog35 said:
    Rayz2016 said:

For me its more about expectation. I'd expect virtually all popular/recent music to be available on AppleMusic. This is not the case.  I might be better off just buying music instead.
    This is most definitely a contractual issue between the artist label and services. In general, artists that don't appear on Apple Music are also not on Spotify, which indicates that royalties for streaming have not been agreed to with that label. The only way to address this is to contact the label or artist and indicate that you'd like them to be on the service - it isn't like they don't know about it, and it is 100% up to them, not Apple (or Spotify). Pandora has different terms, as they do not support selective streaming of individual tracks or albums. As a result, Pandora pays artists far less than Apple Music or Spotify.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    sog35 said:
    Rayz2016 said:

This is most definitely a contractual issue between the artist label and services. In general, artists that don't appear on Apple Music are also not on Spotify, which indicates that royalties for streaming have not been agreed to with that label. The only way to address this is to contact the label or artist and indicate that you'd like them to be on the service - it isn't like they don't know about it, and it is 100% up to them, not Apple (or Spotify). Pandora has different terms, as they do not support selective streaming of individual tracks or albums. As a result, Pandora pays artists far less than Apple Music or Spotify.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    This makes the whole "My record won't be on Apple Music" thing look like one big publicity stunt.