Apple spotlights iPhone 6s 4K camera, Touch ID in pair of quirky new TV ads

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2016
Apple on Monday launched two new television ads to promote the iPhone 6s, and courted the star power of actor Neil Patrick Harris to showcase the moviemaking capabilities of the iPhone 6s and its 4K-resolution video camera.

The minute-long ad called "Onions" has a different style and feel from Apple's series of iPhone 6s ads, telling a self-contained story about a young girl who records footage with her iPhone 6s of onions being sliced.

A quirky montage ensues, where the film, also named "Onions," is passed around and viewed by others, who praise the little girl's artistic skills. It all culminates in a feature film release and subsequent win at an awards show, where Harris -- himself a multi-time Academy Award host -- declares the girl's film the winner.

The second ad follows Apple's traditional iPhone 6s ads, and is once again narrated by actress Rashida Jones. As the name implies, the ad shows off all the things the Touch ID fingerprint sensor on the iPhone 6s can do.

Notably, Apple has offered Touch ID on its handsets since the iPhone 5s. But one key fingerprint-related function, Apple Pay, is only available on the iPhone 6 or newer.

app

Beyond Apple Pay, the new ad shows Touch ID on an iPhone 6s being used to log into a bank account, check into a flight, sign a secure document, and even start a car.

Previous ads have similarly focused on one key feature of the device, such as 3D Touch or Live Photos.

Notably, Apple's official YouTube channel does not yet feature any ads for the company's latest smartphone release, the iPhone SE. Unlike the flagship iPhone 6s, the budget-priced iPhone SE features the same chassis as the iPhone 5s series, and it lacks 3D Touch, though it does record 4K video and feature Touch ID with Apple Pay -- the very same features showcased in the two new ads.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    That first one reminds me of AI and a lot of commentators.  The girl is Apple...

"shrink their gear while improving battery or at the least keeping it the same. thats talent."

Call that talent?  You should see what they can do with an onion!
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Really cute ads.

Fun.

"Like. . .whoa."
  • Reply 3 of 15
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    *DISCLAIMER: To use these exciting new 4K video recommendations, Apple recommends you purchase more than the 16GB base model phones -- for you the iPhone starts $100 higher.
    cnocbuiirelandsingularity
  • Reply 4 of 15
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Bad financial quarter...?  
    QUICK!... Throw up some new Ads!!

>:)  :D :'(
  • Reply 5 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Onions one was interesting. Other ad I found annoying. That staccato, way, of, talking, isn't, like, funny.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    ireland said:
    Onions one was interesting. Other ad I found annoying. That staccato, way, of, talking, isn't, like, funny.
    Well, it's, like... getting, a little.... old. By now. But... still, good. 

Specially, like, guy, eating pizza's, comment.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    paxman said:
    ireland said:
    Well, it's, like... getting, a little.... old. By now. But... still, good. 

Specially, like, guy, eating pizza's, comment.
    Texting... Culture...
  • Reply 8 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The Onions spot was pretty funny.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    mac_128 said:
    *DISCLAIMER: To use these exciting new 4K video recommendations, Apple recommends you purchase more than the 16GB base model phones -- for you the iPhone starts $100 higher.

---

You're seeing it from the wrong perspective.  The iPhone 6S is a $749 phone.  However, for those who don't need the extra storage required for 4K video, a huge library of music or tons of apps, the rest of the iPhone experience, security, performance, etc, can be had for $100 less.
    tmaybaconstangentropys
  • Reply 10 of 15
    So this means a firmware update is coming to the Apple TV soon.... 
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Lake Bell is actually the one narrating for the Touch ID spot. 
  • Reply 12 of 15
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Lake Bell is actually the one narrating for the Touch ID spot. 
    How do you know this? The voice and some of the pronunciations don't quite sound like her, but the creaking vocal fry does sound like her.

But many American women are afflicted with that hipster disorder.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    ireland said:
    That voice is annoying to the point of pissing me off at the company. I can't believe they'd have such bad taste, or so little regard for the listener's experience, as to use that smug, gravelly voice.

It's like six ads now that they've been using such a voice, some of them Lake Bell.  
  • Reply 14 of 15
    This article is the answer to the question a few posters have asked on a couple of different AI threads - yes, this is an Onion(s) article!
  • Reply 15 of 15
    CeliaCelia Posts: 1member
    Apple ads have been highlighting an eclectic mix of businesses of late. It's great to see SignEasy being featured in the iPhone 6s - Fingerprint ad. I loved how he bought the boat in a matter of seconds...And that's not where it ends, our users close deals while vacationing on the beach and complete paperwork while stuck in a snowstorm or in remote areas of Africa or Haiti. Read about the feature on http://bit.ly/1TuyW73 

http://giphy.com/gifs/apple-iphone-6s-l3V0jzsdqm2uyyShW  
    edited April 2016