Apple 'seems willing' to help repair, access iPhone of teen lost at sea

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2016
Eight months after two Florida teenagers disappeared on a fishing trip in 2015, an iPhone recovered from the pair's recently discovered boat might yield answers as to their fate. And Apple is reportedly willing to help.

What appears to be an iPhone 6, belonging to missing 14-year-old Austin Stephanos, was found in a compartment on board a small fishing craft discovered 100 miles off the coast of Bermuda in March, reports ABC News. Two days ago, U.S. Coast Guard and Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission officials confirmed the vessel to be the same boat carrying Stephanos and Perry Cohen, also 14, when they went missing last summer, according to a CNN report.

On July 24, 2015, Stephanos and Cohen embarked on a fishing trip off the coast of Jupiter, Florida, never to return. An exhaustive air and sea search spanning 50,000 nautical miles turned up the teens' 19-foot single-engine craft floating adrift two days after they went missing, but no bodies were found. Before the Coast Guard was able to return with a salvage team, the boat again disappeared, this time due to a faulty data buoy.

Norwegian supply ship Edda Fjord rediscovered the small sporting vessel with Stephanos' iPhone on March 18.

According to Austin's father, Blu Stephanos, Apple has been in contact about the iPhone and "seems willing to help us try to get the phone operational again. That would be the first order of business, since Austin's phone has been submerged in salt water for over eight months."

After unsuccessful attempts to access their son's iCloud backup -- the auto-backup feature was never activated -- the Stephanos family is now looking to the salt water-damaged iPhone for clues or even a final message Austin might have left behind. Salvaging data from a damaged device, especially one subjected to months of corrosive salt water, is no mean feat, but those involved are hopeful the recovered iPhone can be repaired.

"Every IT professional that I've contacted warned me that there is a very, very slim chance that anything can be recovered from this phone...but I'm not giving up hope," Stephanos said.

Media reports attempt to connect Apple's action, or supposed promise for action, to the company's high-profile fight over encryption. Likening the two issues is premature at best. Whether Stephanos' iPhone is passcode protected is unclear, and even if it is, Apple's own security guidelines allow the company to provide assistance in emergency situations. It should also be noted that the ruleset cited by certain media outlets is applicable to government data requests, not necessarily private parties.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Apple is willing to help so long as it doesn't compromise the security of every iPhone on Earth like the FBI wanted.  So no back doors.

mcarlingronnredgeminipairelandmike1jbdragontallest skilcalinolamacguy
  • Reply 2 of 13
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    “Oops!” said the FBI under the guise of separate, independent individuals, “we accidentally dropped 100 iPhones into the ocean! Luckily we were able to retrieve them. Could you be a dear, Apple, and get the data off them?”
    radarthekatwaverboybestkeptsecretredgeminipairelandchiapscooter63palominejbdragonfastasleep
  • Reply 3 of 13
    RosynaRosyna Posts: 87member
    Apple could always use the acid and lasers method to get at the UID (part of the encryption key) embedded in the A8 SoC.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 4 of 13
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I hope Apple will be able to help bring peace to the families.
    freshmaker[Deleted User]
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Those pictures are so haunting... Can't even imagine being lost at sea.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    If the phones are unlocked, they have a chance, otherwise no chance.
    redgeminipajbdragoncali
  • Reply 7 of 13
    All I see is a growing heard of angry genius bar customers that have been told that their data is not recoverable at all. Let the squawking of a Class-Action begin. They shouldn't make these kinds of things public. I wish they were a private company again.
    cali
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Send the iPhone to the FBI. Director Comey will pretend that his staff was able to extract the data from the iPhone, that nothing on it was relevant and that a great deal was learned as a result of the investigation. Just like in San Bernardino.
    quadra 610
  • Reply 9 of 13
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    #BlameMe said:
    All I see is a growing heard of angry genius bar customers that have been told that their data is not recoverable at all. Let the squawking of a Class-Action begin. They shouldn't make these kinds of things public. I wish they were a private company again.
    Looks like the family made it public, not Apple.
    #BlameMecali
  • Reply 10 of 13
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    #BlameMe said:
    So far I see nothing here that says Apple will break the encryption. They first have to get the phone working. If these kids were smart enough, and who knows what you're thinking stuck out on a boat, they would have turned off the password I would hope. It's all that salt water damage that needs to be fixed first. I would assume that's something Apple can do. In the end, there still may not be anything on it like a message.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    I hope they find something out of those phones
  • Reply 12 of 13
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    They should have kept it submerged in salt water. Once it starts drying out who knows what effect it will have, outside of a controlled environment. One of the best techniques is to repeatedly flush the the phone with 95% ethyl alcohol.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    I am sorry they did not leave the key with their parents or in a safe place.