AMC launches tvOS app with free streaming for select shows

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
As promised, AMC this week launched a tvOS app with a content selection mirroring that of its iOS app and web portal, including free-to-stream episodes of hit shows like "The Walking Dead" and "The Night Manager."

The free app was released Monday to little fanfare, but is now featured as a "Best New Apps" pick on the tvOS App Store. AppleInsider in March was first to report on AMC's tvOS plans.

Like its iOS counterpart, AMC for Apple TV features full episodes, behind-the-scenes extras and bonus content from its various original shows including "The Walking Dead," "Fear the Walking Dead," "Better Call Saul," "Halt and Catch Fire" and more.

Currently, Apple TV owners can stream the first three episodes of "Fear the Walking Dead" without signing in as a subscriber. Show extras are always available for streaming, but viewers must link their cable or satellite provider account details with the app to access AMC's back catalog of full episodes.

In addition to the tvOS version, AMC on Wednesday also updated its mobile app with AirPlay improvements.

AMC's app is a free 15.6MB download from the tvOS App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Very Cool!
    Go AMC...

Now if only Apple would do the same for the iTunes U app so that it does not need "Computers"...
    School would be open for the whole world.
    davenmdriftmeyercalipalomine
  • Reply 2 of 11
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Very Cool!
    Go AMC...

Now if only Apple would do the same for the iTunes U app so that it does not need "Computers"...
    Mynthoughts exactly!
    cali
  • Reply 3 of 11
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Very Cool!
    Go AMC...

Genius move by AMC. Why should Apple knee cap its sales to satisfy your $99 price point?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Finally! Can anybody confirm if the app supports Dolby surround? Will download and try myself later on tonight!
  • Reply 5 of 11
    No support for Comcast or Dish?!
  • Reply 6 of 11
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Lets take a moment to appreciate just how ass-backwards this is.

I have to sign in with cable provider login just to stream the free on demand content. There isn't even a Live option.

This is a solid 4 years behind the times.
    Jeff Lopez Photographyzroger73palominejbdragonsquuiid
  • Reply 7 of 11
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Better late than never. Hope, some day Comcast Xfinity, Dish SLING, TWC TV Everywhere, Amazon Prime etc release Apple-TV natively running App so you just sign-in one time in their App with your cable/Dish subscription log-in credentials and stream watch contents offered under your subscription. Apple-TV saves money avoiding to monthly pay for another cable box in 2nd room in house plus you can carry Apple-TV when travel to watch remote on large TV long as internet is available, where cable box won't work. Cable/dish companies will survive from relentless cord cutting epidemic if they support contents detachment from set-top box.
    edited April 2016 palomine
  • Reply 8 of 11
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    No support for Comcast or Dish?!
    That leaves my interest out since I have DISH.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    AMC 's policy on streaming is total bullshit however! I get AMC in my cable package but they won't let me stream more than the first episode of Night Manager! I signed up through Verizon FIOS, but they just sold the system to Frontier, and Frontier doesn't show up on the list of participating providers so can't activate the app. FIOS does though and trying to log in there they say sorry, sold to Frontier. Come on guys, get your shit together!
    pmz
  • Reply 10 of 11
    pmz said:
    Lets take a moment to appreciate just how ass-backwards this is.

I have to sign in with cable provider login just to stream the free on demand content. There isn't even a Live option.

This is a solid 4 years behind the times.
    Bingo!

• Reply 11 of 11
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,294member
    This is disappointing.  The need to grow some balls and make the app independent of a cable TV subscription.  This is not helpful to moving us forward.