Where's the Quadro

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
My hopes where that by bringing Nvidia to the Platform that we would eventually have access to Mac Quadro cards to help the Midrange 3D market. This hasn't happened yet but will it is the question. Frankly if the GeForce cards are all we are going to get then I don't see the benefit of Nvidia in the platform. This is coming from a non gamers perspective because 10fps more is not enough to justify leaving ATI out in the cold IMO.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Well said.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Where's the Proformance 4?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    jjjj Posts: 48member
    I agree. As someone who took 7K out of my budget to purchase MAYA for OSX I am going to be pretty dissapointed if I am left without respectable workstation class hardare to run it on.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I agree, we need REAL 3D cards for Maya...

The nVidia Quadro DCC would be a start...

But something along the lines of a 3DLabs Oxygen (which the no-show ForMac ProFormance4 was a license of...) line or Wildcat line would be even better!

Of course, with the Wildcat line, we would need some serious work done on the 2D end of the stick...

Seems like someone was going on about a forthcoming Wildcat for the Mac lately...

I hope so!

Cheers!

;^p

:cool: Maya for Mac OS X :cool:

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: MacJunkie ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 7
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    On a bit of a tangent, how 'bout render farms? Is it possible to use a mac as the workstation under OSX and farm out the heavy crunching to a cluster of x86 linux boxes? And, if so, how many CPU's will Maya accept under one licence?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>On a bit of a tangent, how 'bout render farms? Is it possible to use a mac as the workstation under OSX and farm out the heavy crunching to a cluster of x86 linux boxes? And, if so, how many CPU's will Maya accept under one licence?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yup it's possible, and it works pretty good iirc. In fatc, with the almost non-existant render performance of current macs, and the rediculously low pricing of bare dual athlon boxes, it's a very economic and great thing to do. I can get 5 bare dual athlon boxes for one dual G4, and each one of the athlons is up to par with the G4 as far as rendering is concerned.

Again, iirc, maya gives 99 render licenses, AFAIK.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Apple will release faster hardware soon. Since Maya runs slowly on even the latests dual 800 machines, Alias/Wavefront would not have shipped Maya for OS X if something else wasn't in the pipeline. I think they know something we don't. Why else would they through support for OS X? Something fast has to be on the horizon. Maya is here now in anticipation. Could it be the G5 that has Alias/Wavefront hedging its bets on Apple? I hope so.