Google's new 'Gboard' for iPhone lets you Google while you Google

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2016
If you're an iPhone owner who has been wishing for a way to involve Google in basically everything you do on your Apple device, the search giant has good news -- an all-new iOS keyboard with Google inside.

Announced on Thursday, Gboard is an all-in-one Google experience built into the iOS keyboard. The quick-access Google search box lets you quickly find and send structured data -- like a restaurant location or the score of a baseball game -- without leaving the app you're in.

Gboard also makes Google the umpteenth player in the GIF keyboard market, bringing its considerable search expertise to bear for those looking for the perfect Overly Attached Girlfriend reaction. Emojis join the reaction pic party, as well.

In the one actual keyboard-related development, Google has included its version of Swype -- called Glide -- allowing you to type without lifting a finger.

Perhaps predicting the backlash that would come with the release of a system keyboard from the world's largest collector of personal information, Gooogle is quick to point out that it will collect only "anonymous statistics" in order to "diagnose problems when the app crashes and...know which features are used most often."

Gboard version 1.0.0 is available now as a free, 33.5-megabyte download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    good spying tool in very nice and cool package ;-)
    schlackdoozydozencalicornchiplolliverjony0badmonk
  • Reply 2 of 35
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    But can I stop it sending anonymous statistics?
    morecklolliverbadmonk
  • Reply 3 of 35
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Sure, don't download it.
    SpamSandwichgatorguyuraharaschlacklord amhrantdknoxdoozydozenmoreckcornchiplolliver
  • Reply 4 of 35
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    "Perhaps predicting the backlash that would come with the release of a system keyboard from the world's largest collector of personal information, Gooogle is quick to point out that it will collect only "anonymous statistics" in order to "diagnose problems when the app crashes and...know which features are used most often."

LOL. Let me guess who wrote it. But if it's not collecting and using identifiable user statistics I'm not sure how it's "spying". Google is missing the boat.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    Rayz2016 said:
    Anonymous statistics... Oh no...
    doozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 35
    the modern-day trojan horse.
    calilolliver
  • Reply 7 of 35
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    hey dawg I heard you like googling…
    moreck
  • Reply 8 of 35
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    It does not mean Google will not use the data about your activities in text to market to you. They may anonymize the data, but they still have ways to tying the information back you. You send a text about going out for Chinese and use this feature and the next things you know your seeing ads for Chinese restaurants on web pages all provided thanks to google
    calimorecklolliverRayz2016
  • Reply 9 of 35
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Perhaps predicting the backlash that would come with the release of a system keyboard from the world's largest collector of personal information, Gooogle is quick to point out that it will collect only "anonymous statistics" in order to "diagnose problems when the app crashes and...know which features are used most often."

“If you've 

SpamSandwichcalimoreckcornchiplolliver
  • Reply 10 of 35
    ryecoke1ryecoke1 Posts: 1member
    it's their way of ensuring no lost of "search profits".... google search is used.... .... and as it gains popularity, it will surely tie in more of it's services to the "portal" to using their services (thus ensuring and helping them make money.... without the needs for contracts/royalties/etc.... brilliant)
  • Reply 11 of 35
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,724member
    That logo is really ugly. good. Makes it even more easy not to install this. 
    isteelersmorecklolliver
  • Reply 12 of 35
    EricTEricT Posts: 1member
    Just amazes me how important people think their searches are. 
    roger wade
  • Reply 13 of 35
    maestro64 said:
    It does not mean Google will not use the data about your activities in text to market to you. They may anonymize the data, but they still have ways to tying the information back you. You send a text about going out for Chinese and use this feature and the next things you know your seeing ads for Chinese restaurants on web pages all provided thanks to google
    If using GMail. . . 

I use GMail for one of my accounts yet never have seen even one ad based on anything that might have been in a message, but I've read that they do register keywords for ad targeting. I've just not seen it for myself. Within GMail itself I don't see ANY ads, targeted or otherwise. 
    roger wademwhite
  • Reply 14 of 35
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    Obviously we have a clownishly slanted and intellectually dishonest "article" and the comments going with it...
    SpamSandwichroger wade
  • Reply 15 of 35
    sensi said:
    Obviously we have a clownishly slanted and intellectually dishonest "article" and the comments going with it...
    I wasn't meant as a news-piece anyway. It's an opinion piece. 
    moreck
  • Reply 16 of 35
    Herbivore2Herbivore2 Posts: 367member
    I don't need this functionality and won't be downloading the software. 

If Apple behaved like Google, they would never allow the software on the App Store. But they aren't and that being said, it's doubtful that many will download it. And for those that do, even less likely that it will be used for much. 

I don't need to search from a keyboard. The browser window is just fine. Finding restaurants, shopping centers, movie theaters, etc. works just fine in Apple maps or Restaurants from Yelp. Hotels from trip adviser. Those apps also provide useful info. within the app itself. Again, I just don't see any need to search from the keyboard. Launching a browser window is also incredibly easy. 

Big swing and a miss for Google. Better try next time. 
    moreck
  • Reply 17 of 35
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    gatorguy said:
    maestro64 said:
    If using GMail. . . 

I use GMail for one of my accounts yet never have seen even one ad based on anything that might have been in a message, but I've read that they do register keywords for ad targeting. I've just not seen it for myself. Within GMail itself I don't see ANY ads, targeted or otherwise. 
    You'd see them elsewhere on the web in the myriad Google owned ad spaces, search result pages, etc. 
    calicornchiplolliver
  • Reply 18 of 35
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    Just don't.
    Just don't trust Google/Alphabet with even one byte of your data. It will come back and bite you when you least expect it.

calimorecklolliver
  • Reply 19 of 35
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I sense a lot of Google sceptics in here, he he. I think it's pretty clever, and I do see the usefulness. Apple hasn't done anything special since opening up the keyboards. Just that predictive typing thing... that at least I never ever use, but what do I know. Perhaps it's popular.
    roger wade
  • Reply 20 of 35
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    gatorguy said:
    If using GMail. . . 

Google is very smart compared to other Spying Apps. 
    You seldom see obvious evidence of Google's spying,
     but believe me Google grabs all the info they can about you and keep it forever unless you ask them to delete what they have.
    Then later they direct you to their advertisers.

I pass, there's no need for another search App on my iPhone.
    DuckDuckGo has search priority on all my devices.   <3

calilolliver