Apple squashes bugs with tvOS 9.2.1, watchOS 2.2.1 updates

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Before the next-generation operating systems for Apple Watch and Apple TV are unveiled at WWDC, there are bugs to be squashed in the current versions, which Apple accomplished with a pair of updates issued on Monday.

tvOS 9.2.1 and watchOS 2.2.1 are both now available to install to the public. The tvOS update can be found in the fourth-generation Apple TV's settings app, while Apple Watch updates are installed through the iOS Watch app on a connected iPhone.

Release notes accompanying the updates say they include bug fixes and security patches. After a handful of developer betas, no major user-facing changes to the platforms were identified.

If Apple has anything big in the works for its two newest software platforms, it's likely to be kept under wraps until Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference, where next-generation versions of tvOS and watchOS, as well as iOS and OS X, are expected to be unveiled.

WWDC 2016 will kick off on June 13, likely with a keynote presentation from Chief Executive Tim Cook and other members of Apple leadership. The developer-focused conference runs through June 17 in San Francisco.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    YES. tvOS is a freaking mess.

Article says a tvOS update will be announced at WWDC, any real confirmation on this?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    TVOS is OK for me. I just need support for contents provider like Dish SLING, TWC anywhere, COMCAT XFINITY,etc. Amazon not going to support AppleTV so mute point. In fact. when Apple comes out with streaming TV package, it should mimic SLING which also offers international channels.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    My Apple Watch currently has WatchOS 2.2  When I check for the update in the iPhone Apple Watch app it indicates my watch is up to date at 2.2. Anyone been able to get the upgrade yet?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    cali said:

Article says a tvOS update will be announced at WWDC, any real confirmation on this?
    In what way is it "a freaking mess"??

I have owned several other streaming boxes, including older Apple TV's, and this by far the best I've owned. My wife and I just LOVE using it, and it's never given us any issues!
    lolliver
  • Reply 5 of 8
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

ATV4 -- I've have problems with Podcast playback. It would freeze and get the spinning beach ball... like its trying to down load. Exit app and re-enter... continues download and goes for about 3-5 minutes and freezes again. Do not know for sure its the app, the TVOS software or the podcast server or the provider. But a lot of times if re- boot ATV4, the problem is resolved... for a while.  Another interesting thing--- would run speed test on the ATV4 and read 10Mbs download. Run it on my phone (using wifi only) and 60Mbs down. Reset  ATV--- magically up to 60Mbs. Read some links that indicate Apple recommends only 5Ghz channel wifi for podcast and movie download

I send all diagnostic data to Apple. I went in a few times and it does label things as 'crash', bug 1xx or something.

Heres hoping !!!

Other than that--- I use the live TV apps and video review apps etc. So far so good.

edited May 2016
  • Reply 6 of 8
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    mnbob1 said:
    My Apple Watch currently has WatchOS 2.2  When I check for the update in the iPhone Apple Watch app it indicates my watch is up to date at 2.2. Anyone been able to get the upgrade yet?
    Did you already update iOS to 9.3.2?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    cali said:
    how strange, mine is working as intended. what the hell.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    wood1208 said:
    TVOS is OK for me. I just need support for contents provider like Dish SLING, TWC anywhere, COMCAT XFINITY,etc. Amazon not going to support AppleTV so mute point. In fact. when Apple comes out with streaming TV package, it should mimic SLING which also offers international channels.
    Amazon works just fine on your iOS device at which point you can air play to your Apple TV.  Best of all it should also work that way with a older Apple tv.  It may be a little nicer if there was built into Apple tv, but this is the next best thing.