What's the best DivX option for OS X?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find anything under a Search...

I've played around with the DivX Codec 5.o alpha 2, DivX Doctor II and a few others, but none have really impressed. What's the best one out there for OS X?

BTW, This whole DivX thing is new to me, so any other tips would be appreciated.

[ 08-05-2002: Message edited by: patmcfar8 ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    [quote]Originally posted by patmcfar8:

<strong>Sorry if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find anything under a Search...

I've played around with the DivX Codec 5.o alpha 2, DivX Doctor II and a few others, but none have really impressed. What's the best one out there for OS X?

BTW, This whole DivX thing is new to me, so any other tips would be appreciated.

[ 08-05-2002: Message edited by: patmcfar8 ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you want to get your hands dirty, use <a href="http://fink.sourceforge.net"; target="_blank">fink</a> to install mplayer. It supports almost everything. No GUI though (I think), unless you feel like compiling it yourself. There is also a mplayer port to native OSX, but it's still sorta alpha, and only plays in fullscreen. Someone else cna throw up the link.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    I've used DivX 5.0 alpha II and 3ivx D4 PR1 (from <a href="http://www.3ivx.com)." target="_blank">www.3ivx.com).</a> 3ivx seems to work much better (on a PowerBook G4 with 640 MB RAM, 8 MB VRAM). But what you really need to do is go along to version tracker and download the VideoLAN client. (search for VLC).
  • Reply 3 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Mr. H:

<strong>I've used DivX 5.0 alpha II and 3ivx D4 PR1 (from <a href="http://www.3ivx.com)." target="_blank">www.3ivx.com).</a> 3ivx seems to work much better (on a PowerBook G4 with 640 MB RAM, 8 MB VRAM). But what you really need to do is go along to version tracker and download the VideoLAN client. (search for VLC).</strong><hr></blockquote>

VLC was broken with QT6 preRelease installed. I don't know if they fixed that or not. I don't know if QT6 official release doesn't break it or not.

Edit:

I would like to hear what anyone has to say about playing DivX in OSX WITHOUT the use of converters or such. I'm talking about just opening up a regular DivX file and playing it. I have lots of DivXed anime and I don't want to have to convert it just to watch it. Especially since most of it is on CD and I don't want to have to copy it from CD to HD and then convert it before I can even watch it.

[ 08-05-2002: Message edited by: pyr3 ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 8
    VLC was quickly fixed after QT6's official release. The new version works fine.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    cyko95cyko95 Posts: 391member
    Yeah, I downloaded VLC over the weekend, and have QT6 installed as well and the DivX files I tried ran great. Even off of CD's. VLC is easy to use, and free just makes it even more appealing! =)
  • Reply 6 of 8
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    I used to use DivX 5.0 Alpha II & 3ivx Delta 4 PR13 until I downloaded VLC a couple days ago. It's much better and the best out there in my opinion. With DivX 5 a lot of times I wouldn't get the sound to work on my movies, so I had to use DivX Doctor. VLC worked fine for all of them.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    just want to add 2cents to say VLC is the only fool proof player I have gotten. No frills... just plays the dang movie.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by ZO:

<strong>just want to add 2cents to say VLC is the only fool proof player I have gotten. No frills... just plays the dang movie.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I usually need more than just DivX. I use XviD, and I just ran into some .ogm files the other day as well.

Note on .ogm files:

.ogm files are Ogg files. Not to be confused with Ogg Vorbis. The deal with Ogg Vorbis files is that Ogg is the container and Vorbis is the audio codec. For example, mp3 is akin to vorbis. They are both audio codecs. Ogg is a container for media. AVI is another popular container, as is VOB. Ogg is more like VOB than AVI though. Ogg files can have multiple audio tracks connected to a video file, just like DVDs do (DVDs use VOB). It can also contain subtitles. The video in the Ogg can be any format. The ones that I found were DivX3.11. Ogg is also open source. Since most people got used to ogg being used only for audio the ".ogg" extention was changed to ".ogm" for Ogg files that contain video. ".ogg" is only used for Ogg files that are audio only. There are only a couple players I know of that support Ogg as more tahn audio though.

For Windows : Zoom Player , WMP6.4 (only with the directshow filters for Ogg installed, AND with 'enable all streams' checkbox checked ... took me all day yesterday o figure that out. It will play without ithat checked but using subtitles and changing audio tracks won't work.)

For UNIX/MAC : mplayer

I haven't tried mplayer since i don't have unix running on my PC and I don't have my TiBook yet. So I don't know how great the support is.