Mophie introduces wirelessly charging battery case for Apple's iPhone 6s & 6s Plus

Posted:
in iPhone
Mophie is launching what it calls its first wireless charging ecosystem for iPhones, centered around a new battery case called the Juice Pack Wireless.

The case is available in two versions: one for the iPhone 6 and 6s, and another for 5.5-inch Plus iPhones. Either is promised to add over 50 percent extra battery life, and support "virtually all" wireless charging standards, including the commonplace Qi format.

Both cases come bundled with a flat charging base, intended mainly for desks and tables. These can also be bought separately.

Mophie is additionally releasing Charge Force desk and vent mounts. The desk mount is a pedestal that holds an iPhone vertically at different angles, while the vent mount uses four prongs to attach to a car's AC vents.

The regular Juice Pack Wireless costs $99.95, while the Plus version is $129.95. Bundle options let users pick up a vent mount or an extra base at a $5 discount for each -- normally, those accessories are $59.95 and $39.95, respectively. The desk mount appears to not be on sale yet.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I'm ready for wireless charging WITHOUT a mat.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 2 of 9
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    I really don't see a need for wireless charging that doesn't allow you to use the phone while it's charging.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 3 of 9
    mike1 said:
    I really don't see a need for wireless charging that doesn't allow you to use the phone while it's charging.
    Why do you say that? As long as you leave the phone on the mat, you can use it and it will charge. And if you need to pick it up, pick it up. It will resume charging when you put it back. I'm more concerned about the lousy battery capacity, as well as the unreasonably high price. I've also had my share of really crappy products and lousy customer service from Mophie, and I will never buy one of their products again. I'd love a Qi or Powermat-rechargeable battery case, though. Just not from them.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    It's laughable to me, can you imagine if someone a long time ago were to say "we've invented WiFi, but it requires you to put your device on a mat in order to use it." Hahaha - NO. I want to be able to walk into my house and start to use it. Same goes for wireless charging. Although I'd even be willing to pay for a device that has a smaller range of, say, 3 to 5 feet.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    So if there's not a wireless charging station around, this can't be charged? That seems a little short sighted.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    mac_128 said:
    So if there's not a wireless charging station around, this can't be charged? That seems a little short sighted.
    It probably also has a microUSB connector. All Starbucks are equipped with wireless charging mats at every table.
    Say what you want but placing a phone on a map is much easier and simpler than struggling to find the business end of a dangling cord, and it doesn't require both hands. I've used wireless charging cases for my iPhone before and absolutely loved the concept. Unfortunately their implementation left much to be desired (the PowerMat cases were way too fragile and offered little protection). But I would definitely buy one of these IF it had a higher capacity battery AND was not made by Mophie.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I totally agree. Laying my phone down on a mat at the airport is going to be a lot more effective than pulling out my charger. Unfortunately, the matts have to be supported everywhere to make this a practical addition. It's sort of like the same dilemma of producing an electric car that requires the enormous infrastructure of physical charging stations everywhere a customer might want to drive their vehicles. It's all well and good until the customer drives somewhere there's no station and the car runs out of juice. That's why a revolutionary Apple solution would be to offer some kind of truly wireless charging for the iPhone rather than offer what's already available and requiring a substantial infrastructure to support in any practical way.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    The mophie 6 and 6 plus case can be hacked to fit the 7 and 7 plus
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Question for mikeideas:  it appears your hack would cover the flash.  Is that so and if so, have you figured a workaround for that?  Thanks,