The case for a dual-SIM iPhone

Posted:
in Genius Bar
Apple has avoided making dual-SIM phones, probably because this is a use-case that is popular only in a few developing countries.

However, that line of thinking totally misses the point. Dual-SIM phones are really valuable when you travel overseas - and don't want to deal with ridiculous roaming charges! The only reasonable option is to get a local SIM card - but without dual-SIM phones, that becomes a painful option.

- you have to lug two phones around.
- all your contacts, messages and apps end up on the phone you aren't using.
- you probably need to set up a hotspot to share data - which may not be permitted, or will drain battery life quickly.
- when you complete your trip, you have a nightmare getting messages, contacts, etc. from one phone to the other.

Apple needs to look at dual-SIM phones as a problem that users have, and for which existing solutions aren't great. An Apple solution can be designed to work way better.

The people who travel overseas probably represent the cream of current and potential Apple customers. And forcing them to give up on iPhone and use Android based dual-SIM phones just for the sake of convenience during a few weeks a year of travel doesn't make sense at all.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    macarena said:
    - you have to lug two phones around.
    - all your contacts, messages and apps end up on the phone you aren't using.
    - you probably need to set up a hotspot to share data - which may not be permitted, or will drain battery life quickly.
    - when you complete your trip, you have a nightmare getting messages, contacts, etc. from one phone to the other.
    - or a paper clip
    - paper clip
    - You’d have to do that with a single phone anyway
    - or a paper clip

Or maybe I’m missing something. I’m used to CDMA phones, but I popped an Irish O2 SIM in my first-gen iPhone once.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I guess if you still wanted to make and receive calls one your old SIM then a dual SIM that lets you easily switch between them might be preferable.  You'd probably still need to switch in software though, as I'm not sure a phone has been made that can simultaneously connect to two networks.  Plus, when I'm on holiday I don't want people phoning me, so I'm in the camp of one phone and swapping out for a local SIM card.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 3 of 13
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    crowley said:
    I'm not sure a phone has been made that can simultaneously connect to two networks.
    Would that require two entire sets of antennae? As in double all the myriad bands we have to cover now anyway? I’ll bet that sort of thing wouldn’t FIT–in an Android monster, even–without interference.

I’m reminded of the Fake Steve Jobs story about making the internals of a computer symmetrical (as a takeoff of Steve’s story about his father teaching him to put the same amount of care into the beauty of what only you will see as what everyone sees when building something). Or was that real... This has always been my greatest fear–that I’d get to the point where my memory is so bad I can’t keep straight what was and what might have been.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Not sure about symmetrical but I definitely recall a story about Steve demanding that the chips on a logic board be arranged in neat rows even though it served no practical purpose, and may even have made the circuitry more difficult. 
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 5 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    macarena said:
    Apple needs to look at dual-SIM phones as a problem that users have, and for which existing solutions aren't great. An Apple solution can be designed to work way better.
    It's about time physical sim cards were made obsolete. Apple has done this with the iPad:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/embedded-sim-cards-apple-samsung-gsma/
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/what-is-an-e-sim
    https://www.apple.com/ipad/apple-sim/

Some countries don't support it but all they'd need to do is have the Apple Sim and a physical sim and then you can support everything and have multiple carrier accounts. This would be a selling point for the iPhone 7 as you can travel to another country, get a topup service with data allowance online without needing anything physically delivered and no roaming charges.
    edited June 2016 linkman
  • Reply 6 of 13
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Having a physical SIM allows you to very easily and quickly swap between devices so I think the physical SIM is still the best solution.  Not everything that uses the phone network and GSM comms is a phone.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    crowley said:
    I'm not sure a phone has been made that can simultaneously connect to two networks.
    Would that require two entire sets of antennae? As in double all the myriad bands we have to cover now anyway? I’ll bet that sort of thing wouldn’t FIT–in an Android monster, even–without interference.

Isn't there two sets of antennae already for different connection types?
    LTE vs fallback 3G and the like. For an overseas visit being about to keep your home sim in charge of the voice connection but letting the data radio switch to a local account sim would be a good solution if possible without adding to much additional hardware. 
  • Reply 8 of 13
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    cnocbui said:
    Having a physical SIM allows you to very easily and quickly swap between devices so I think the physical SIM is still the best solution.  Not everything that uses the phone network and GSM comms is a phone.
    (1) if you ever sit in a car on highway with someone try to swap sim in one hand - you will not want to have physical sim at all. (in that case was a private sim vs business sim - same location in asia... different carrier and different plan - possibly same antenna).
    (2) different country uses different frequency, therefore you will need different antenna - that is why international phone a bit more pricy. not mention the difference of GSM CDMA (ATT vs VZ for example).
    (3) physical sim is good if design in for easy swap - you really don't need two sims if you travel between two countries - you can't really in two places at sametime. IMHO. majority of the design was not intend to swap sim easily... except asia country see the needs.
    (4) as long as the antenna covers the frequency, soft sim would be better for swap... however, i can see user easily mistakenly (intentionally or unintentionally) /"forgot" to swap... that is another can of worms. (Hillary email type for example ;-).
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 9 of 13
    iPhone 7 has come and no dual SIM. Apple will be Apple - a company that knows best what's best for customers!

And some posts above - whether its even possible to have one phone with 2 SIMs and 2 networks - pretty much every single Android phone works this way today. This is a requirement that's more and more of a weakness in the iPhone.

I know several people whose only reason to not get the iPhone is because of no support for dual SIM! Maybe Apple will wake up 2 years later and add dual SIM.

Once again, Apple shows that the biggest problem for Apple is Apple itself :-)
  • Reply 10 of 13
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    The number of people who routinely require two different SIMs is very small, and another potential scenario (500 million) will drop away entirely come next year, when roaming fees are dropped across the EU. 

If roaming agreements are in place, there is hardly any reason at all for swapping SIMs, and the convenience of being reachable at a single number at all times vastly outweighs the benefits. 
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Germany just passed a law that free roaming applies only for the first 90 days. So on your second visit say in the summer time those initial 90 days are over and roaming fees apply. Plus Britten just left the union. And Switzerland is not part of the roaming laws. 

sure you can use a paper clip. Try that on an aircraft. And maybe loose that micro sim on that same aircraft with your main account/phone number/$200 debt with the phone company. 

On the plus side you can get a cheap Chinese dual Sim to use as your travel phone. You'll have walk around with 2 phones. I recently managed to walk around with 4 phones while hopping from country to country in Europe. The screens are scratch resistant so nothing happens when two are together in the same pocket.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    Germany passed no such law. 

The European Commission proposed one limited to 90 days, after having promised that roaming fees would be done away with entirely in 2017. 

They've retracted it after being reminded loudly that they were back-tracking on their promise. 

So we're currently waiting for a law proposal from the Commission, which can then be signed into law by the democratically elected EU Parliament. 

Why would you need to carry two phones if you've got a cheap dual-SIM Chinese phone? Surely the point of a dual-SIM phone is not needing a second phone? And if you're carrying two phones, neither needs to be dual-SIM?
  • Reply 13 of 13
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    the OP was try to get apple make dual sim phone... I guess chinese "san-zai-ji" just not good enough for him/her.